Credit Cards, Travellers Cheques or Disney Gift Cards

Brandilovesdisney

DIS Veteran
I was wondering what you all use and what you find you get the best exchange rate on? It seems to be Disney Gift Cards. I don't have any interest in getting an american credit card or bank account.:)

We use a combination of traveller's cheques in U.S. currency; our regular credit cards--we pay the cc company's fee for conversion--which is pretty low now, given $1CAN=$1.04US; and, take some US cash with us. We prepay everything we can prior to the trip, in Canadian dollars as far as possible.

We used to get travellers cheques, but the fees worked out to virtually the same as using a credit card (2.0 to 2.5%, depending on the card). We find credit cards a lot more convenient.

My wife works for a division of a major bank, which means she has theoretical access to preferred exchange rate for buying US cash. However, her work locations are not at the branches where this is offered, and we're always very busy before our vacations. We usually grab $200 - $300 US from a bank machine in Canada a few hours before we leave (or en route to the airport). We don't get the preferred exchange rate, but the difference is insignificant (we pay $7.50 rather than $4.50).

We use our Canadian Credit cards. Exchange rate is almost identical to over the counter at the bank.

I do usually stop at an ATM once during a trip to get some cash for small purchases; I think all the Disney and Universal parks have one right near the entrance. Any leftover cash gets stuffed away in my passport for the start next visit.

I really like using a credit card as much as possible as I get an itemized list of everything I spent while there. I also get points or cash back on all my purchases. Cash and travellers cheques have no audit trail - too easy to lose track of your spending.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter