Credit card fraud! Perfect *!^"%* timing!

Yes I've got another one, and fairfx have said they'll transfer my remaining balance onto that one, as my main one is now cancelled so that's a weight lifted, I just hope they can refund the money that's been taken before we leave!

Hopefully, considering the circumstances and the fact that you leave soon, they may make an extra effort to help sort this....fingers crossed for you!

Iv just read your blog, you have worked so hard to get that money together, I genuinely hope this is resolved and you can have a magical holiday, looks like you definitely deserve it! :hug:

Oh honey, what an awful thing to happen. Do you have a Credit Union close to you? My local one now does emergency loans to new customers with a reasonable rate of interest and not based on credit score. It might be worth giving them a ring to find out if they can help.

:hug::hug:I so feel for you.

The thought rang through my mind today "what if I lost all our saved currency etc" and I instinctly felt sick to the stomach.

I so hope this get sorted for you before you leave.

Fingers crossed for you

So sorry to hear this has happened to you:sad2:

Having had our credit card cloned/attempted fraud on it three times now, I'm at a loss as to what's safe any more.

I really hope you get something sorted - you're so very nearly on your holiday:wizard:

I would try to phone someone - sometimes emails can get pushed to the back of the tray. Tell them the situation and how you have read nothing but good things about their company and that you trust they will make it right for you. Tell them about the potential good publicity of getting it right.

I am so sorry this has happened and am wishing magic your way!:wizard:

What a nightmare. I'm so sorry, as I'm sure this is taking the edge off what should be a time of excitement. I would definitely keep onto them, they have plenty of time to sort this out before you go on holiday, and after all, it is their responsibility to ensure the security of the funds on your card - if I have understood you properly, you haven't actually used your card at all?

No I have used it, but no one but me has ever touched it. It's not in a purse or anything it's always in my pocket wherever I go so it must have been cloned. :( It was used online somehow so they must have had all my details. :S Scary.

Thanks everyone, I'm a little bit more hopeful now. Arranging a car boot for Sunday and selling stuff on ebay too. I've worked out how much I can put on from working (self employed so not a lot at all but better than nothing!) and I get some money when I'm out there too, so that should up it to about $1500. Plus whatever I can add on from money I'm going to save by cutting back on a lot of stuff we normally buy every week.

Not too bad, but still not nearly as much as I wanted to take. I certainly didn't want to be under 2k anyway :S

Here's hoping they can sort it all out before I go!

They've done the transfer from my main card to my other one so at least I know that's there and safe (although I can't remember my pin to that one! lol).

Gem,i am really sorry to hear this,these people just don't understand how it effects others :sad2:.I hope you get the money they used back on your card for when you go away :wizard:.x.

What most people don't realise is that if a credit or debit card is used fraudulently, the risk is that of the issuer, not the account holder. Assuming that the same applies to the FairFX card (and I can see no reason why it wouldn't as it's administered by MasterCard), they have no right to tell you that you must wait for the outcome of their investigations before receiving a refund. I have to get ready to go out now, but I'll post back later giving more details, together with a suggestion of what you should say to them.

What most people don't realise is that if a credit or debit card is used fraudulently, the risk is that of the issuer, not the account holder. Assuming that the same applies to the FairFX card (and I can see no reason why it wouldn't as it's administered by MasterCard), they have no right to tell you that you must wait for the outcome of their investigations before receiving a refund. I have to get ready to go out now, but I'll post back later giving more details, together with a suggestion of what you should say to them.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that what you are referring to concerns consumer credit and the protections afforded to cardholders in such situations. Since the FairFx card is a pre-paid card, with no credit facility in your name, I believe that issues such as fraud, and also purchase protection claims, are not covered. FairFx are therefore within their right to investigate and need not give an immediate refund.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that what you are referring to concerns consumer credit and the protections afforded to cardholders in such situations. Since the FairFx card is a pre-paid card, with no credit facility in your name, I believe that issues such as fraud, and also purchase protection claims, are not covered. FairFx are therefore within their right to investigate and need not give an immediate refund.
You're partly right, but it's not quite as straight-forward as you're suggesting. The protection afforded by the Consumer Credit Act does indeed apply only where credit is involved, but there doesn't need to be a "facility". Credit can be created by fraudulent activity and in such instances charge and debit cards (of which a pre-paid card is a variant) would be caught under the legislation. A simple example would be where the fraudulent use of your debit card causes an overdrawn position on your bank account. The CCA isn't the only piece of relevant legislation, though. The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations and the Financial Service (Distance Marketing) Regulations] make the UK unique in providing protection against fraudulent use of debit cards.

Once you've reported your card lost or stolen, you're not liable for any fraudulent activity. If your card has not been used fraudulently up until that point, the issuer must refund all subsequent transactions. If the card has been used fraudulently, you're liable for the first £50 only. Unsurprisingly, the banks aren't pro-active in sharing this information. Despite what they may tell you, you are not liable if they deem you to have been grossly negligent in your care of a card and/or PIN. The legislation makes no such distinction and it takes precedence over any terms and conditions the card issuers may choose to impose. If you gave your card and PIN to a family member to buy some groceries and they went off on a spending spree, you would be liable for the fraudulent use. If however, the family member stole your card and PIN from your purse, you would not. This is because the legislation differentiates between those authorised to be in possession of the card and those not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter