CREATIVE MINDS NEEDED: special, easy meal ideas (very long)

tarheelmjfan

Proud Redhead
We (DH, DS and myself) visited FW for the first time in Feb. I made pririty seating for 2 meals each day, as I always do when we go to WDW. We ended up keeping only 2 (HDD and Boma for breakfast) and cancelled all the rest. We found we spent much less time in the parks than usual. We wanted to hang out at the campground and relax. Normally we barely see our hotel room. The problem was; there are very few food options at Fw. I want to be prepared with food in the RV if we want to eat in. When we go on vacation, we want to eat things that we don't eat every day at home. I control our fat intake at home, but we splurge on anything we want on vacation. Finally, to my question! lol I'm looking for specials meal we can fix in the RV. I don't like to do alot of cooking on vacation, so I need something easy. Our RV has a microwave, propane stove and oven. I've never used the oven for baking, but am wanting to try it. Does anyone have any creative ideas that I can fix in 20 min. or less. I need ideas for B,L and D. I've made a list of a few things like: (for break.) break. pizza, danish w/cereal, biscuit w/gravy, etc... (for lunch) quiche w/ fresh fruit, chicken salad on croissants w/ carrots &dip (special desserts) pumpkin rolls, fudge, PB fudge. Please be creative and help me! Sorry so long! Thanks for the help and for reading.:)

Okay .... I have to admit you lost me on the quiche. I personally try to never cook anything in my RV stove that I even THINK will run over and start that darn smoke detector off! LOL I usually just do a lot of shortcuts before I leave home that make cooking in the RV easier. One of my absolute musts is to cook up a bunch of ground beef before I leave home, freeze it in 1# quantities (in zip locks), freeze them and then use them in sloppy joes, hamburger helper, spaghetti sauce, etc. while on the road. This eliminates clean-up of greasy stuff in my RV. I also mix up choc. chip cookie dough before I leave, scoop little balls of it, freeze them on a cookie sheet, and after frozen, just put them all together in a large ziplock bag. They stay separated, and when my crew wants some I just pop a dozen at a time in the oven. I also take my bread maker. While this may seem "over the top" to some people, I swear that all of my kids would eat dog food if I served it to them with home made bread. I make up all the dry ingredients together before I leave home, seal each batch individually in a zip-lock and then in the morning before I go to the park, I just put water and butter in the breadmaker, dump my dry ingredients in and push the start button. When we return from the parks, my crew is ready for anything. Any leftover bread gets used for toast in the morning ..... good stuff. These are my three absolute MUSTS that I do every trip. I am sure that you will get lots of other great suggestions!

Bianca,
I'm definitely not thinking of baking a homemade quiche. Way too much work! I'm thinking the frozen ones that you pop in the microwave. Thanks for the suggestions. I wish I was ambitious enough to try making my own bread. Think of things that may challenge our palate! We like trying a different cuisine at Epcot each trip. We love trying new things. Not your everyday American food. Although, I need those ideas too! Keep them coming!

Knock You NAked Cake

1 swiss chocolate cake mix-bake according to box instructions
1 can eagle brand milk
1 jar caramel topping
6 skor candy bars

When cake is done immediatly poke holes all in top with large fork. pour
eagle brand over top. break up skor bars in pirces and cover top of cake.
pour caramel over top. be sure to do this while cake is hot.ready to serve.

recipe #2

Elephant Stew

1 medium elephant
2 rabbits(optional)
water
salt
pepper

Cut elephant into bite-size pieces. (this should take about 2 months.) Salt
and Pepper to taste. Add enough water to make a rich gravy sauce. Cook at 465
degrees for 4 weeks. yields 3,812 servings. TIP: if more people are expected,
add the rabbits. Do this only if necessary, since most people don't like
hares in their stew.

Yes, I like to throw in a little humor from time to time.

Old Camper

Two musts are Bottled water and favorite soft drink.

Breakfast- Bagels and cream cheese,milk and Cereal,yogart and breakfast bars,poptarts or swirls.

lunch - Tuna in a pouch over salad,tuna on a hard roll,Deli meat on hard rolls, Soup micro waved,microwaved canned pasta.

dinner- buy precooked roast,microwaved canned vegi's,microwaved pototoes,buy premade BBQ in tub.

I like to make spaghetti - quick & easy.

Also, I always have my crockpot with - you can throw chili or chicken or a roast in there in the morning before you leave for the parks, and it's done when you get back!

We also like to use our grill to make "pocket dinners". Just fill tinfoil with chunks of meat and cut up veggies & butter. Roll up really tight and set on the grill for 1/2 an hour or so, turning occassionally.

I like to make lasagna in foil containers and freeze to take along with us. Take them out to thaw in the morning and heat through once arriving home. (I throw out the container,figure I'm on vacation) I make spaghetti sauce and freeze in ziplock bags. We take frozen garlic bread and have that with the meals too. I have 'camping tupperware containers' that fit nicely in our fridge. I do up fresh veggies before leaving. I cook a roast and also a turkey, slice and put in containers for travel. This is good for sandwiches on the road. As my husband refuels I go make a couple sandwiches. Can also use can gravy for hot turkey/roast beef sandwiches. I have also made beef or turkey soup with the drippings and have homemade soup to take as well. I freeze a package of turkey and take it out the day before we leave. I make sandwiches and keep them in the fridge for the ride home.

I like to make lasagna in foil containers and freeze to take along with us. Take them out to thaw in the morning and heat through once arriving home. (I throw out the container,figure I'm on vacation) I make spaghetti sauce and freeze in ziplock bags. We take frozen garlic bread and have that with the meals too. I have 'camping tupperware containers' that fit nicely in our fridge. I do up fresh veggies before leaving. I cook a roast and also a turkey, slice and put in containers for travel. This is good for sandwiches on the road. As my husband refuels I go make a couple sandwiches. Can also use can gravy for hot turkey/roast beef sandwiches. I have also made beef or turkey soup with the drippings and have homemade soup to take as well. I freeze a package of turkey and take it out the day before we leave. I make sandwiches and keep them in the fridge for the ride home.

We like to barbeque seafood like crab legs. Also, Gooding at the Crossroads mall has lots of entrees that are ready for the microwave. Some are boring but some creative and good. How about grilled lobster tails with grilled corn on the cob? Fettucine Alfredo using REAL cream, butter, cheese?

Here are a couple of ideas as long as you don't mind doing a little prep work before you leave for vacation. 1. Boil a rack of baby back ribs for 1 hour. Marinate them for 24 hours. Cook on grill 15 minutes. I have an excellent marinade recipe I can post if you don't have one. The ribs can be frozen before they sit in the marinade or after. Since the meat is pre-cooked you can also reuse the marinade. 2. Mexican burgers. BBQ your burgers and then top them with grated cheese, guacamola, salsa, and onion.

Thanks guys for all the great suggestions! We just got back from a long weekend and I used some of the earlier suggestions last weekend. We're going again in May, if not before (DH says probably before). I'll have to try some of the others. I'll definitely try the ribs and lasagna. Two of my DH and DS favs. I love the prepare ahead ideas. I like to cook, just not on vacation.

Kay1- It sounds like you watch what you eat at home too, and crave all the GOOD food!:) (That's me exactly) I love good fattening food, unfortunately it loves me too! I wants to hang around forever! lol I will definitely plan on grilling the Lobster Tail and corn. I love grilled meals (my DH does the grilling)! That's the only time he cooks.:) By the way what is REAL cream, butter and cheese?lol It's been so long since I've had those I don't remember how they taste. Sounds like time to reaquaint myself! lol We will have to check out Goodings. I've tried finding good pre-made meal at our local grocery stores, but nothing looks appetizing.

Keep the ideas coming! As you can tell, we go camping alot and I like having something different each time. That makes the trips more special.

I too go for the crock pot idea - you can put a frozen roast in with vegs on top - leave it on low for the day and dinner is ready when you come back. You can also use pork tenderloin - cover in bbq sauce - cook on low, yummm.
I also bake off a ham and/or turkey for sandwiches or our main meat. For sandwiches I vary the type of bread - maybe subs one day and pita pockets another.
The "George Foreman" grill also comes in handy - no waiting for charcoal to heat up.
I also use a griddle for grill cheese sandwiches, French toast, pancakes etc.
The idea of cooking off the ground beef before leaving home is a great one!!

i always precook my ground beef and pack into 1# packages even when it is just for home. my family can fix spaghetti when the g-beef is already cooked, but has no clue what to do if the meat is still raw.

Cut beef, carrots, potatoes and onions into bite size cubes. Wrap tightly in two layers of aluminum foil and place directly onto charcoal coals for 25 minutes. Flip occasionaly.

I always take my crock pot when camping. here are a few of our favorites. (all are preped at home and frozen solid in throw away containers. no lugging my good tupperware back home)

Mexican Crockpot chicken

3 chicken breasts cubed and cooked
1 large can salsa
OR
fresh tomatoes, peppers, onions and 1/2 pack taco seasoning
1 can each of cream of mushroon and cream of chicken
water (depending on how long you will be away from your crockpot while cooking - if you will only begone for a few hours, none....if you will be gone all day and into the evening, 1/2 to 1 cup. just so it dosen't dry out)
1 bag tortilla chips
grated cheese (pre grated in the bag is the quickest)

combine chicken, salsa (or fresh veggies if you like) and cream soups. (freeze this if making ahead)
put layer of chips on bottom of crockpot ,top with all of chicken mixture, and top this with another layer of chips. When returning serve over rice or in bowls with chips to scoop. (serve with grated cheese over top.)

Shepards Pie

ground beef, cream of mushroom soup, can of mushrooms, 1/2 cup milk(some folks like to add corn or peas to their shepards pie - knock yourself out) (freeze this on its own)
mashed spuds (frozwn on their own)

when both have thawed layer beef mixture on bottom of CP and top with spuds.

(the old standby) Meatball Subs

package of frozen pre-made meatballs
jar of spagetti sauce
nice italian rolls
(have the left overs of the meatballs over spagetti for another meal.)

- lori

I make a great "convenience food" chicken pot-pie that would probably work for you. I poach some chicken breasts in advance because I think cold chicken is easier to chop up. Heat the chicken up with two cans of condensed cream soup (I like Campbell's Cream of Chicken with Herbs and Cream of Potato) and a bag of frozen veggies. Put the mixture into a casserole dish and cover with unrolled Crescent Rolls. Bake according to the instructions on the Crescent Rolls, but for an extra five minutes. If there are any extra Crescent Rolls, roll 'em up and bake 'em to dunk in the "gravy." I use Midwestern Blend veggies and season it with a little basil. I cook a lot of great dishes, but for some reason my family seems to like the easiest one best!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter