Crazy Theory based on recent rumors...

Treasure Planet and Atlantis were awful....

Oh, Alicefan, you're breaking my heart here! I usually agree with your posts, but I just can't let that slide, especially for Atlantis! I get that they weren't hits and they should really never do an attraction based on them, but I still like them (well, Treasure Planet's just okay, but certainly beautiful).

If they could score a deal to use one or two off-limits Marvel character, I imagine one idea that would work well in Epcot (or in Tomorrowland) - a reboot of Adventures Through Inner Space but guided by Ant-Man and the Wasp. It feels an idea that's a perfect synergy of old-time Disney and taking advantage of their modern IPs. I would DEARLY love to see something like this.

If they could score a deal to use one or two off-limits Marvel character, I imagine one idea that would work well in Epcot (or in Tomorrowland) - a reboot of Adventures Through Inner Space but guided by Ant-Man and the Wasp. It feels an idea that's a perfect synergy of old-time Disney and taking advantage of their modern IPs. I would DEARLY love to see something like this.

Sadly, they could have done that in Hong Kong, instead they just overlayed the Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters ride instead.

Oh, Alicefan, you're breaking my heart here! I usually agree with your posts, but I just can't let that slide, especially for Atlantis! I get that they weren't hits and they should really never do an attraction based on them, but I still like them (well, Treasure Planet's just okay, but certainly beautiful).
LOL fair enough. I'd still rather see an attraction based on those than some other IP that they've purchased the rights to. I think WDW should be well...Disney.

I don't know why they don't just suck it up and re-do Imagination to its original glory? You know they still have all of that stuff in a warehouse somewhere. It for sure would take next to nothing to bring it back. They could even act like it was their idea and we'll all turn a blind eye:bored: and they could do it for the next big Epcot milestone for a limited time and just keep it like they did with the Big A** Hat or the hand with the wand over SE....because you know they are never going to admit they were wrong and give the public what they want. :dance3:Can you imagine the positive reaction they would get from the public? In all these years I have never heard of anyone who actually enjoys the new version of Figment. For me, they are soooo missing out on something that I think would be just as big as any Pandora or Galaxies edge, and that's of course a Yesteryear Land in one of the parks with a handful of the most beloved rides of the past. pixiedust: For me that would be World of Motion, Horizons, 20,000 Leagues and anything that's been gone a good long time...enough to really be considered nostalgic. Whenever Disney gets a bug up their butt to have to tear something down and replace it, they could replace it with another defunct ride that they didn't have room for in the original construction of the land. (See, I've got this covered...I have too much time on my hands.) :idea: Now I don't think they have to recreate them using dated tech or anything. You could have the best of both worlds, an exact replica using today's technology for better visual effect and smoother ride etc. I would never expect a 5th gate (but that would be amazeballz!!!:dogdance:) but a land like that and they would have people busting down the gates! I think enough time has passed for that to fly as well as anything new they could bring to the table.
Great points. As time continues to go by and the lack of interest in the current attraction exists, the new generations of people who visit Epcot will not have an affinity for Figment and his world as there once was. I know Figment is featured on festival merchandise and that’s great for his visibility. Disney will need some kind of draw by updating the attraction to ensure it’s longevity. If not it will continue to be mainly used as a low wait filler ride where most to stop in and relax for a few minutes or to get a way from the heat/rain. If Figment continues to be the face of Epcot his attraction should up its game as the rest of the park continues to do.

I love figment and wish they would rebuild the old ride with current technology.

I also wanted to share some tidbits... Chitty Chitty Bang Bang isn't a disney movie, though the Sherman Brothers wrote the songs.

It kind of amazes me how dated the current JIYI feels. Like, when my buddy and I got in the queue for it this year, all we could think was how it just felt very...90s. Like, just heavy on that Wacky Science By Annoying People vibe that was really popular in kids movies during the 90s.

Which is weird, because iirc, it didn't have it's big change until the aughts.

It's just...well, it's dull and it's weird but not in a fun way, and its "message" just feels so halfhearted. Compared to reading the recent Figment comic that opened with an intro about the creation of the ride itself, and how the original message of the ride was really "the process of making things: take everyday experiences, let them percolate and see what ideas come from them. And then make stuff with them." (I've blocked out a lot of the current ride, but I feel like they never really actually address the idea of making stuff so much as just...imagination.)

Putting it back closer to its roots, or at the very least getting rid of Eric Idle and the whole Gizmonics Institute thing would go a long way toward making the ride feel more timeless.

It really does baffle me how despite using Figment as the face for the park, they haven't really done anything to make him appeal to people in the context of his own ride.

Also, unrelated, but Treasure Planet is one of the best Disney movies, and would be in the top 3 if it weren't for Ben.

Epcot is blessed with plenty of open space for expansion. Instead of using park maps, it's easier to see on aerial maps from Bing or Google. Here's a quick and dirty measurement of the space between the Land and the Living Seas pavilions.

epcot-openspace-land-sea.jpg
Link to Bing Maps: https://binged.it/2MlM8BB

Even without realigning that backstage road and taking up that open field in the upper-left of the image, it's still a massive area. Here are comparisons of that space and two other pavilions (measured using Bing Maps):
  • Highlighted Expansion Space: 156,970 square feet (14,583 square meters)
  • Living Seas: 126,652 square feet (11,766 square meters)
  • Imagination Pavilion: 142,556 square feet (13,244 square meters)
That said, I agree with rteetz. I can't picture Zootopia going to Epcot.

What is in that area now? I know it is all backstage stuff, but does anyone know more specifically?

Actually, they can do a lot of Marvel, just not the Marvel that people with little interest in actual comic books and storylines know about. Sure they can't call it Marvel, as they can't do in California, but there are dozens, possibly hundreds, of characters available to Disney. And I fully expect Phase IV to exploit those characters to see if they can make them popular enough to be worthwhile.

I'm sure you're right. The New Avengers will probably be 100% IP that can be used in the parks. Same with The Eternals and Shang-Chi.

Here are some Disney movies that I think could go in that space that would kind of fit in with the Epcot theme:
Wreck it Ralph - it could be an inside the computer / virtual high-tech kind of attraction (tons of neat possibilities with old games)
Big Hero 6 - create an actual San Fransokyo with some action based attraction
Bolt: the Rescue - a virtual ride where you help Bolt rescue his friends
Meet the Robinsons - A time traveling adventure
Treasure Planet - An outerspace / pirate adventure with cool possible worlds to explore
Atlantis - tons of possibilities here
Great Mouse Detective - Help Basil using different technologies to solve a case.

I could definitely see them adding a Marvel based attraction (obviously none of the banned ones) to try and get Marvel in as many of their parks as they can. A Dr. Strange type attraction could actually fit pretty well in Epcot. Personally I would rather not see Marvel at Epcot, but it would make sense in a marketing kind of way.
If Disney ever does use Zootopia in Orlando, I think the AK would have to be the most obvious place to put it.

Bolt is such an under-rated film. I would love to see Disney revisit that character.

Epcot is SOO large and so spread out they could practically fit a whole a whole new park on the west side of Epcot (okay .. maybe exaggerating a bit).

I like the old Pavilion concept and these west-side attractions are the only ones remaining. I like the concept of going into a building and having an attraction, a show, and some activities (like looking at fish, or playing with the imagination exhibits or playing around the jumping fountains. It is nice to have shelter from the sun, but have several things to do while there. I have good RECENT memories of going to the Land and spending a few hours there -- riding Soarin' then eating lunch then riding Living with the Land. We would have seen the show there too, but it had closed down for good.

I like being able to do several attractions in one place. I like "hanging out" there for a while. I hope they keep that concept with the West side, just maybe add on to the pavilions to give another attraction other than Soarin' to make the West Side a bit more of a draw. Totally gut Imagination and redo it and ditch that Nemo "ride" (that is just a glorified moving sidewalk).

I doubt they will do a full bulldoze and redo of those pavilions unless they think they can have a HUGE attraction like they are doing with the former energy pavilion.

On another point.
I don't see Disney investing into IP-based attractions of old movies (Bolt, Meet the Robinsons, Treasure Planet) that a lot of people (even "Disney" fans) don't even know are Disney movies .. those were during another dark time in disney Animation history. You aren't going to draw or sell merchandise with a Bolt or Meet the Robinson's ride(even though the concepts sound cool).

Such a great point about why the pavilion concept is good. You are out of the sun and/or rain, you can do a ride, a show, and eat without leaving. I'd hate to see *less* of this and I'd love to see *more*.

Such a great point about why the pavilion concept is good. You are out of the sun and/or rain, you can do a ride, a show, and eat without leaving. I'd hate to see *less* of this and I'd love to see *more*.

I agree. I love the Pavilions and would like them to remain intact, however I believe there needs to be enough inside to keep my family occupied for more than on attraction, a TS restaurant I may or may not book, and a sad little excuse of a gift shop. In an expanse as vast as Epcot, indoor space should be fun and not just a spot to cool off while holding the nearest wall up.

I agree. I love the Pavilions and would like them to remain intact, however I believe there needs to be enough inside to keep my family occupied for more than on attraction, a TS restaurant I may or may not book, and a sad little excuse of a gift shop. In an expanse as vast as Epcot, indoor space should be fun and not just a spot to cool off while holding the nearest wall up.
The problem with the pavilion concept is that it is probably very costly (a lot of construction and upkeep and A/C). I mean .. just look how they initially designed Toy Story Land without ANY indoor space except the queue of TSMM.

The pavilions held a lot more (in my memory) than they do now. I mean there is a whole floor at the Imagination pavilion that is now just a DVC lounge and a closed theater at the Land pavilion. I remember all sorts of "post-ride" stuff that existed that seemed a lot more (and a lot cooler) than the stuff they currently have after Spaceship Earth, Test Track and Journey Into Imagination.

The problem with the pavilion concept is that it only exists on the west side now. The new improved "Play Pavilion" though .. will be a neat return to the "many things to do inside the building" concept.

The problem with the pavilion concept is that it is probably very costly (a lot of construction and upkeep and A/C). I mean .. just look how they initially designed Toy Story Land without ANY indoor space except the queue of TSMM.

The pavilions held a lot more (in my memory) than they do now. I mean there is a whole floor at the Imagination pavilion that is now just a DVC lounge and a closed theater at the Land pavilion. I remember all sorts of "post-ride" stuff that existed that seemed a lot more (and a lot cooler) than the stuff they currently have after Spaceship Earth, Test Track and Journey Into Imagination.

The problem with the pavilion concept is that it only exists on the west side now. The new improved "Play Pavilion" though .. will be a neat return to the "many things to do inside the building" concept.

Yeah. I'm sure Disney would prefer climate controlled areas have the ability to generate revenue.

How about replacing Mission Space with a reimagined Horizons? I haven’t enjoyed either version of the ride and doesn’t seem to be very popular attraction overall.

How about replacing Mission Space with a reimagined Horizons? I haven’t enjoyed either version of the ride and doesn’t seem to be very popular attraction overall.

yus. please.

I mean, I actually like Mission Space alright, but yeah, a reimagined Horizons (maybe with a focus on retrofuturism--the history of what we THOUGHT future tech would be--it might be easier to keep it "up to date") would be boss. And my BFF would weep tears of joy. He never got to see the old one.

yus. please.

I mean, I actually like Mission Space alright, but yeah, a reimagined Horizons (maybe with a focus on retrofuturism--the history of what we THOUGHT future tech would be--it might be easier to keep it "up to date") would be boss. And my BFF would weep tears of joy. He never got to see the old one.
My kids only get to see Horizons through grainy YouTube videos. I’m sad they are not able to experience it as I did many times at their age.

My kids only get to see Horizons through grainy YouTube videos. I’m sad they are not able to experience it as I did many times at their age.

It didn't close until 1999 so I must have ridden it at some point (three trips before it closed), but I have zero memory of it.

It didn't close until 1999 so I must have ridden it at some point (three trips before it closed), but I have zero memory of it.
Well, it was only open off and on from 1995-1999, they only opened it busy weeks. Luckily got to do it again in 96 when we were there because Universe of Energy was being reimagined

Well, it was only open off and on from 1995-1999, they only opened it busy weeks. Luckily got to do it again in 96 when we were there because Universe of Energy was being reimagined

Hmm, maybe not then. We went in '93 (I was 6, so entirely possible I could have ridden and not remembered), '95, and '98.

There were rumors floating around of them bringing in the Crush Coaster from DLP, or something similar, to the Seas Pavilion. That would kind of equal out the sides some... especially if they did a good rehab of Imagination (I agree, bring back the original!, although the rainbow tunnel is rumored to be moving to the Experience Center aka Odyssey pavilion).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter