Crazy stroller idea?

TangledHairDon'tCare

Mouseketeer
We will be bringing a stroller and a backpack for our trip next week. I’d really rather not wear the backpack all day but I’m nervous about leaving it in stroller parking. I thought about a locker, but we don’t want to run back to the front of the park every time we need something!

If I put a luggage lock on the zipper of the backpack and then secure it in the basket of the stroller, do you think it’s safe? I have a cable and lock (think of how expensive handbags are secured in department stores) that will fit around both shoulder straps and one leg of the stroller.

Am I crazy? Overthinking it? Or even with all that, would you not leave a backpack in stroller parking?

My other thought was just leave our rain over over everything, but that doesn’t feel very secure.

Thoughts?

I know thefts do happen, but I don't know that they are prevelant enough that I would personally worry about a lock. When we went, we always left a bag or two in the stroller with diapers, clothes, snacks, and autograph books and never had an issue. Obviously, don't leave anything valuable. When we did have the rain cover on, I left the bag(s) in the seat of the stroller as our rain cover covered that far more than it did the basket. That ensured our bags stayed dry and also made it more difficult for someone to swipe our bags as they would have had to unvelcro and pull off the rain cover to get to them.

If locking the bag itself and the bag to the stroller will ease your mind, then by all means. Personally, it seems like it would be a huge hassle having to unlock it/lock it back up everytime you wanted something. Something to consider too is loads of people leave a bag in their stroller at Disney without a lock. If someone is looking to steal, a lock might indicate to them that there's something of value inside and tempt them to run off with your whole stroller.

So to make a short story long, don't leave anything in the stroller that you'd be heartbroken if stolen, but also try not to stress and worry so much that it impacts your trip.

I think you're overthinking it. We do it all the time. We bring an umbrella stroller in regularly. Not for our kids, but for our food (we pack our own) and any gear we may bring such as ponchos, phone power banks, etc... Our food bag is very large, as we'll pack full lunchges or dinners including drinks, so it just sits nicely in the seat of the stroller. The bag straps go over the handles of the stroller so it doesn't fall out. If we bring our bag for ponchos, etc...(we don't always bring it), that sits on top of the food bag. It's a pretty small bag, but since we have the stroller for our food anyway, may as well put it on there. None of them have locks of any type on them. There's nothing valuable in any of it, so if someone really felt they needed to steal a dollar store poncho or a Thermos full of chicken nuggets, go for it. We usually park it somewhere in stroller parking until we need it. We've done it literally hundreds of times and never once had our stuff touched.

If you want to do it, just go for it. Don't put anything of true value in it and you'll have nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
Nothing important, such as wallets, money. CC, Passport or whatever...

When I take my grandson to the parks, I use a small cross body bag for wallet, phone, med's, and reader's, everything else goes in the back pack... I have left the back pack under the seat before and never had any problems...

Just be smart... don't leave anything of value in the back pack...

Enjoy your trip...

Thanks for the feedback everybody!

The most valuable thing would be the backpack itself, which is brand new because of course the strap broke on my old faithful last week! :(

I know everybody says don't leave anything of value, but what doesn't have value? If somebody swiped our sweatshirts that would be expensive to replace. Even snacks would be a nice chunk of change to lose.

I think you're overthinking it... thousands of people leave thousands of backpacks in thousands of strollers every day at WDW and theft seems to be super rare, I've never read about anything getting stolen out of a stroller. If it makes you feel better, go ahead and lock it up, but the stroller could simply be rolled away if someone wanted it bad enough.

Thanks for the feedback everybody!

The most valuable thing would be the backpack itself, which is brand new because of course the strap broke on my old faithful last week! :(

I know everybody says don't leave anything of value, but what doesn't have value? If somebody swiped our sweatshirts that would be expensive to replace. Even snacks would be a nice chunk of change to lose.
your snacks I would be more worried about animals biting into backpack to get them and yes I f have seen squirrels eating thru backpacks that have been left in strollers

Yes, squirrels will get in if you leave open food containers. We keep ours in a zipped bag and they have never touched it.

If you're worried about someone stealing snacks or a sweatshirt, then maybe just get a locker, even if it's inconvenient. A little lock on your bag will be of it no value, they'll just steal the whole bag. In fact, it may make it more inviting to a thief because I don't think many people bring bags with a cable and lock on them inleto WDW...thief may think you definitely have valuables in there.

I was once waiting outside of the Land at Epcot and there was a stroller next to me that was having a squirrel party. The squirrels would hop down to the seat of the stroller, hop back up to the canopy, already chewing and holding something (I think a Cheeto or baby Puff thing) to eat in the sun on the canopy. One would run off one way and another would run up from the other. The mom finally came out and claimed the zipper bag of food had been in a zipped pocket of the backpack. But they did eat a big hole in the plastic bag when they had their feast.

The last 2 trips DH has left an expensive man purse type bag in the stroller. No issues. You'll be fine.

Enjoy!

I was once waiting outside of the Land at Epcot and there was a stroller next to me that was having a squirrel party. The squirrels would hop down to the seat of the stroller, hop back up to the canopy, already chewing and holding something (I think a Cheeto or baby Puff thing) to eat in the sun on the canopy. One would run off one way and another would run up from the other. The mom finally came out and claimed the zipper bag of food had been in a zipped pocket of the backpack. But they did eat a big hole in the plastic bag when they had their feast.

That was obviously Chip and Dale escaped from Garden Grill! ;)

DH is pretty set on securing the bag, if I don't want to carry it. You won't be able to see the cable attaching it to the stroller, but I think we'll skip the lock on the zipper after what you've all said about that making it tempting to a thief!

I think you’re overthinking it. If someone wants a diaper or two and an extra onesie THAT bad to risk stealing a bag, then maybe they need these things more than me! There’s really nothing in a small bag under a stroller that anyone would think worthy of lifting IMO. Just don’t keep valuables in there and use a cheap bag.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter