CPAP/electricity on the ship question

ColoradoMom12

DIS Veteran
After reading the posts about alarm clocks and at times unpredictable electricity, I wanted to ask another question. I’m a first time cruiser (in December!!). I sleep with a CPAP machine. Is the electricity unreliable enough that I would want to use a battery for my CPAP? I have a travel CPAP (Dreamstation Go) that can be plugged into an outlet or can use a battery. I would need to recharge the battery each day, which isn’t a problem except the battery is heavy. If the electricity is reliable, I won’t bother bringing the battery. Just curious what others who use CPAP would recommend.

My wife uses a CPAP machine and we took a 10 day Med cruise on the Magic last year. We didn't have any issues with her machine loosing power. The only thing we did was request an extension cord and a bottle of distilled water for her machine.

In my opinion you should be fine without the battery. We have never had any electricity issues on the ship for either of our cruises (both times on the Magic).

Psy

Agree - we’ve been on multiple cruises on all four ships and have never had an issue with my wife’s CPAP machine. Haven’t even needed an extension cord, as we’ve always had a usable outlet by the bed (as opposed to some other cruise lines).

I too use a CPAP machine and have not had any issues with past cruises. Worked fine.

Last edited:
I have been on several cruises with my CPAP. No issues. I carry an extension cord in my CPAP bag. I did have to use that.

I didn't have any trouble with mine but I will warn you on the Dream we only had an outlet on one side of the bed. I didn't discover it until we'd settled everything in prior to unpacking my cpap. We had to shift things so I was on the side with the outlet, not a big deal but wish I'd paid attention first.

After reading the posts about alarm clocks and at times unpredictable electricity, I wanted to ask another question. I’m. a first time cruiser (in December!!). I sleep with a CPAP machine. Is the electricity unreliable enough that I would want to use a battery for my CPAP? I have a travel CPAP (Dreamstation Go) that can be plugged into an outlet or can use a battery. I would need to recharge the battery each day, which isn’t a problem except the battery is heavy. If the electricity is reliable, I won’t bother bringing the battery. Just curious what others who use CPAP would recommend.

As mentioned you'll have no problem with the electricity. If you need an extension cord or your distilled water is not waiting for you, just ask your room host. Can I ask...is your machine noisy? I've been looking for a travel size one (and love the option of a battery for places without electricity!) but I've heard the travel machines and very noisy.

As mentioned you'll have no problem with the electricity. If you need an extension cord or your distilled water is not waiting for you, just ask your room host. Can I ask...is your machine noisy? I've been looking for a travel size one (and love the option of a battery for places without electricity!) but I've heard the travel machines and very noisy.
I don’t find it noisy. My daughter finds it doesn’t disturb her, either, and she’s sharing the room and sometimes bed with me. However, we sleep with white noise (either a little machine at home or an app on my phone when we travel). I’ve used it on Girl Scouts and similar overnights, though, and never had a complaint from anyone sharing our sleeping space. I love my travel CPAP. It was well worth the expense to not have to lug my home machine in its giant travel case along. The only downside is that it doesn’t have a humidifier. For me it’s a nonissue as I live at high altitude and find the moisture in the air when I travel (even with air conditioning) to be sufficient, but I know many people who use CPAP can’t sleep without the humidifier.

I don’t find it noisy. My daughter finds it doesn’t disturb her, either, and she’s sharing the room and sometimes bed with me. However, we sleep with white noise (either a little machine at home or an app on my phone when we travel). I’ve used it on Girl Scouts and similar overnights, though, and never had a complaint from anyone sharing our sleeping space. I love my travel CPAP. It was well worth the expense to not have to lug my home machine in its giant travel case along. The only downside is that it doesn’t have a humidifier. For me it’s a nonissue as I live at high altitude and find the moisture in the air when I travel (even with air conditioning) to be sufficient, but I know many people who use CPAP can’t sleep without the humidifier.

Thanks so much for the information! I'll look into it.

The problem we had on the Dream last year is that we both use a cpap and there is only one outlet on one side of the bed. My dh slept on the couch and was able to drape the cord over to the desk. Our friends tried to bring their own extension cord and it was not allowed on the ship. The one they got from the Service Desk had to be returned the night before leaving.

I don’t find it noisy. My daughter finds it doesn’t disturb her, either, and she’s sharing the room and sometimes bed with me. However, we sleep with white noise (either a little machine at home or an app on my phone when we travel). I’ve used it on Girl Scouts and similar overnights, though, and never had a complaint from anyone sharing our sleeping space. I love my travel CPAP. It was well worth the expense to not have to lug my home machine in its giant travel case along. The only downside is that it doesn’t have a humidifier. For me it’s a nonissue as I live at high altitude and find the moisture in the air when I travel (even with air conditioning) to be sufficient, I know many people who use CPAP can’t sleep without the humidifier.

The problem we had on the Dream last year is that we both use a cpap and there is only one outlet on one side of the bed. My dh slept on the couch and was able to drape the cord over to the desk. Our friends tried to bring their own extension cord and it was not allowed on the ship. The one they got from the Service Desk had to be returned the night before leaving.

Actually, the one borrowed from Guest Services CAN be returned early the last morning. You have to let them know you will be doing that in advance and that it is because you need it that last night for a medical device. They will charge your room the $50 "did not return the cord" fee, so when you return it in the morning you have to ask them to please refund that fee.

We had to do that our last cruise. Bit of a pain, but it is doable. I returned it at about 4 am as we were getting up and before we were getting ready, when there was no line yet at Guest Services.

SW

Actually, the one borrowed from Guest Services CAN be returned early the last morning. You have to let them know you will be doing that in advance and that it is because you need it that last night for a medical device. They will charge your room the $50 "did not return the cord" fee, so when you return it in the morning you have to ask them to please refund that fee.

We had to do that our last cruise. Bit of a pain, but it is doable. I returned it at about 4 am as we were getting up and before we were getting ready, when there was no line yet at Guest Services.

SW
Very helpful advice. Thank you!

I just went to the chat feature on the Disney Cruise website and put in a request for an extension cord. They said it would be in the room and I can leave it in the room when I leave, no mention about a deposit either. I have a request in for a gallon of distilled water too.

Do I need to let DCL know that we have a CPAP machine?
I always let them know using the special services form (available at the bottom of the online check-in forms), but mainly just so I can get a gallon of distilled water for my CPAP. I've never had an issue with the power or electrical outlets on the two ships I've used it on so far. I haven't needed an extension cord, either.

I always let them know using the special services form (available at the bottom of the online check-in forms), but mainly just so I can get a gallon of distilled water for my CPAP. I've never had an issue with the power or electrical outlets on the two ships I've used it on so far. I haven't needed an extension cord, either.

Thank you for the information. I completed that form today and talked to an agent at DCL just to confirm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter