• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

CPAP Cleaning

Tikibear

There’s no losin’ when you’re cruisin’
I haven’t taken my CPAP on a cruise yet. I was wondering what the best way to clean the tubing would be? Liquid soap and hope the tubing dries? Rechargeable UV wand?

I was told to soak it in warm soapy water for a few minutes before rinsing it out and hanging it up to air dry.

I haven’t taken my CPAP on a cruise yet. I was wondering what the best way to clean the tubing would be? Liquid soap and hope the tubing dries? Rechargeable UV wand?
When I started using my CPAP, I cleaned the tubing once a week like I was told. I used dawn dish soap and water in the bathroom sink. Run some water through to rinse and hang it over the shower door to drip dry. Don't see why that couldn't be done on a cruise just like at home. But as the years have gone by, I don't clean it nearly as often. Besides they send me new tubing every quarter so it seems pointless to worry too much.

I'm also kind of shocked at the thought of cleaning it on a cruise 😆 My husband for sure doesn't wash his tubing every week. I would just clean if before you leave and when you get back and not worry about it

We wash the tubing in my wife's machine every other week. We use the dawn dish soap and warm water via the bathroom sink and hang it over the shower door to dry. If you are worried, just clean it before your trip and when you arrive back home. It shouldn't be a problem.

Psy

Like others have said I get new tubing fairly frequently so I don't bother to wash it. Think about it, there is positive airflow going through the tube and you never expel air into the tube. The only that gets grimy is the mask, so it is really the only thing you need to clean.

I have tried to use wet tubing before and found the noise that it makes can be absolutely terrifying. My suggestion to you is bring two tubes so that one is always got 24 hours to dry and switch off. Save an old one and put a ribbon on it so you know which the older one is and throw that one out when you leave the ship. It’s kind of like when you have a cold and they recommend you to use an older facemask until you’re cold is gone so you could throw that one out when the cold is over.
I’ve tried swinging around like an elephants trunk trying to centrifuge the whole thing empty doesn’t work.

Some people have stomach gasses, stomach acids or sinus issues that are expelled from breathing into the tube and mask. Those can harbor bacteria that can grow and become a health hazard. Not saying this is what these people have to clean it though. Some people sweep and vacuum everyday, just personal preference I suppose for some.
Have never cleaned my CPAP tubing on a cruise or any other vacation / travel. Why would you?
Sadly, I dabble in all three issues, ugh. Actually got mold smell in 2 tubes over the years. I keep all my old tubes(I only have one now). If one smells like mold, it’s replaced before I fall asleep. I threw out Covid tubes and masks also. I did have 3 back stocked at one time pre-Covid.

PS. Disney will give you a gallon of distilled water for your machine. UV wand is nice. Bathroom didn’t allow my hose to dry as well as I needed it to. Put a mesh bag over your mask and hose ends to prevent local bugs from ports that might migrate into your room(doesn’t help the drying either).

Hello, My mother uses a machine when we cruise called a SoClean its a sanitizer machine she brings along with her to clear out her mask. She usually carries it on with her cpap machine.

I also use the SoClean machine, but have never taken it on a cruise with me. Seems a bit bulky to haul around. I figure I can go for a week or so without cleaning the tubes. However, I do bring a small bottle of cleaning solution just in case something happens.

I also use the SoClean machine, but have never taken it on a cruise with me. Seems a bit bulky to haul around. I figure I can go for a week or so without cleaning the tubes. However, I do bring a small bottle of cleaning solution just in case something happens.
Yeah, I initially thought it would be too bulky for her to take but it fits perfectly in her carry-on size roller.

The UV systems are bad for CPAP and break down components in it. Any sleep doctor will tell you the best way to clean your CPAP is dish soap and warm water and air dry. Don’t fall for any gimmicks you see on TV.
Public Service Announcement Complere

Hello, My mother uses a machine when we cruise called a SoClean its a sanitizer machine she brings along with her to clear out her mask. She usually carries it on with her cpap machine.

I have one of those machines. Hate it. It adds horrible ozone smell to the CPAP. Also, breathing in ozone isn't good for you.

Just a head's up, my original CPAP machine was part of a recall from Phillips because devices like SoClean caused internal parts to slowly deteriorate and get into the breathing tube. They strongly recommend you not use SoClean.

Just a head's up, my original CPAP machine was part of a recall from Phillips because devices like SoClean caused internal parts to slowly deteriorate and get into the breathing tube. They strongly recommend you not use SoClean.
Well I got it 2 years ago at full price and started using it about 9 months ago because I found it complicated as hell to figure out. So that’s about right then. Hundreds of dollars spent on something that’s harmful for me. Yup, things are falling right into place. But I have ResMed 10 so maybe it’s not so bad for me????

Well, crud, something new to totally worry about and obsess over. To use my SoClean or not?!?! Looks like there are lots of lawsuits flying back and forth between CPAP manufacturers claiming SoClean damaged the equipment versus SoClean claiming those accusations are bunk. it was my sleep doctor who originally recommended the SoClean to me when I first started using my CPAP years ago. I've got a checkup coming up soon, I'll ask him for an update on that recommendation.

Thanks for the info!

Wow I did not know that about the SoClean I will most definitely share the info with my Mother.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter