CP Job Descriptions Thread

graygables

<font color=blue>Doesn't like to discuss the Y2K P
If you have done a CP, please post your job description, what heading you were under, and what some of your responsibilities were. I'm sure lots of people would like to know what each job entails before making their preference selections.

Thanks for helping us out!

If you have done a CP, please post your job description, what heading you were under, and what some of your responsibilities were. I'm sure lots of people would like to know what each job entails before making their preference selections.

Thanks for helping us out!

1. Merchandise
I mostly worked in Fantasyland (though I also did 2 weeks in Liberty Square and 2 weeks in Adventureland). I just about always closed. So my hours were usually something like 3-5pm until close (which could be something like 10 pm up until 3am- EMH). For merchandise, I usually worked the register or worked the floor assisting guests. But I also stocked once in awhile.

2. Character Attendant
For this role, I worked everywhere. I worked in all 4 parks, though mostly at MK. This has been, by far, my most favorite role. I loved working with the characters. What you do is assist the character(s), keep the line orderly, answer any questions guests have, help take pictures for guests if they want, so on. There are many places you can work, including meets, shows, dining, so on.

3. Custodial
I worked in Epcot WS. I loved my location. This role had 2 different types of things: either restrooms (which was just cleaning and stocking the restrooms) or streets (which was just cleaning the streets and changing the garbage cans). It wasn't that bad, really. You have a lot of independance in this role.

Full Service Food and Beverage
Cross-U Resorts Orientation Facilitator
'Ohana Feast / Disney's Polynesian Resort

• As a full service dining host, it was my primary responsibility (initially) to greet guests coming to the location, check them in for their reservations, accept walk-in parties and handle any issues that our guest would have at this stage of service. I would also make reservations for both my location and other Disney restaurants. I also seated guests, while delivering a moderate spiel. Later on in my program, I was mostly alternating between being an assignor (managing the computer-based table assignment software) and a food & beverage general teller (managing the money for food and beverage locations at the Polynesian). Ohana is really busy, but a lot of fun.
  • As a Cross-U facilitator, I did the resort-level orientations (once every other week), essentially outlining local guest service customs, expectations and policies, and a tour of our property. I auditioned for this a couple months after I arrived, and it was a great experience!
Had a blast!

Has anyone done the Travel Planner role? Can you share what's involved?

1. Merchandise
I mostly worked in Fantasyland (though I also did 2 weeks in Liberty Square and 2 weeks in Adventureland). I just about always closed. So my hours were usually something like 3-5pm until close (which could be something like 10 pm up until 3am- EMH). For merchandise, I usually worked the register or worked the floor assisting guests. But I also stocked once in awhile.

Joanna, do they have you "sell" merchandise to people, as in influence their sales. Or do you just assist customers with finding things? I'd really like to know, cause if it's just assistance then it's a definite possibility I'll put merchandise down on my checklist come August.

Joanna, do they have you "sell" merchandise to people, as in influence their sales. Or do you just assist customers with finding things? I'd really like to know, cause if it's just assistance then it's a definite possibility I'll put merchandise down on my checklist come August.

It's both. But I mostly just assisted with finding things on the floor.

I did merchandise in fall of 07 and our managers wanted us to make sure every guest spent a minium of $50. They had certain cast members that spent their shift walking around talking people into buying more stuff. From what Joanna says it sound like she worked in smaller stores so that might have a little to do with our differances in answers.

I worked in Toontown merchandise and did not have to try to get people to buy merchandise. Our managers really wanted us to make memories with people. We helped guests if they needed to find something but we were NEVER told to persuade guests to buy anything.

I did merchandise in fall of 07 and our managers wanted us to make sure every guest spent a minium of $50. They had certain cast members that spent their shift walking around talking people into buying more stuff. From what Joanna says it sound like she worked in smaller stores so that might have a little to do with our differances in answers.

I was in Fantasyland.

Yeah, I might still put merchandise down. But I really want to avoid selling stuff. I'm amazing at doing it, I'm just kinda burnt out from it. But if it's the only way in I'll do it.

My DD is doing the CP now. She is doing Full Service Dining at the Captain's Grille at the Yacht Club. In addition to hostessing, she is also doing Private Dining, which basically has her taking phone orders for room service. She's enjoying it. I can't give you any more details than that, I can only tell you what she's told me.;)

As for my work experience, I worked at Disney's Ft. wilderness Resort and Campground. It was a unique experience to say the least. The people there are amazing. My managers, leaders, and fellow Cast Members were always willing to help me out.

The hours seemed pretty crazy at first, but after a few weeks I settled into a routine. I was scheduled about 30-35 hours per week; usually 4 days per week, each shift was about 7.5-8.5 hours. Most days I started work between 8 and 10am and finished between 4 and 6pm. And one day a week I worked late, usually starting between 2 and 4pm and ending between 10pm and 12am. I had 2 breaks each shift of 30 minutes each. The first break usually under 3 hours after I started and the second break about 2 hours before I banked out.

I was only trained as Front Desk Cashier, but many of my fellow CPs were also trained in luggage, and phones. Some things Luggage does are sorting and delivering Disney's Magical Express luggage, driving guests without cars to their cabin or site after check-in, running errands across WDW, making deliveries to guests, and checking the status of a cabin or campsite.

Cast Members who work a phones shift sit in the phones room and answer guest calls. Whenever a guest calls the front desk, instead of a person on the desk in the lobby picking up, someone in the back office answers the call.

I was a Front Desk Cashier. For my role, I assisted guests with check-in, lost keys, discrepancies in their guest pay folio, directions in and around WDW and local areas, guest messages and mail, faxes, etc. I also assisted Cast Members from other work areas and departments. I accepted deliveries as well as gave information.

Each day I arrived at work and clocked in. I got keys to a bank from the keywatch and took my bank to the bankout room to count the money to make sure it was all there. Then I went to my FSA (Frontline Service Advisor) and asked where to go. He would tell me if I was relieving someone for break or bankout, or if I was opening a new station. I would then go set up and lock my bank up. I logged into the computer and made sure my work area was "show ready" and when I was ready I would begin assisting guests. At the end of the day, usually 30 minutes before I clocked out, I would leave the front desk and bankout. I counted my bank and if I had taken any cash, checks, travelers checks or foreign currency that day, I would set it aside. I would sign out of the computer system and print all of my paperwork. If I had taken cash, checks, travelers checks, or foreign currency I would place it in a deposit bag and drop it in the safe. Then I would lock my bank up and wait for my clock out time.

Training was pretty long, but it gave me the necessary skills to perform my role with confidence. All new Cast Members attend Disney's orientation program called Traditions. For me it was 2 days after I arrived at Disney. It was 4 hour session where you learn the history and scope of the Company and other important topics relevant to all roles (safety, conduct, purpose, sexual harassment, etc.). This is also where you will get your WDW nametag and your White ID (ID card for clocking in and out at work, and most importantly, your admission to the parks!!!). (Don't forget to bring an outfit (business casual) to wear to Traditions which meets the Disney Look guidelines. You will need socks or pantyhose if you wear pants and pantyhose if you wear a skirt. Also, for shoes, if the toe is open, the back must be closed, or if the back is open, the toe must be closed. They won’t let you on the bus to Traditions if you don’t meet these guidelines.)

The day after Traditions, I began what is called First Impressions. It is the classroom training program for Front Desk Cast Members. It started with me going to my work location and getting my costume. I put it one and went to the Front Desk of my resort and shadowed a cashier for about 3 hours. (You will want to invest in a comfortable pair of flats because you will be standing a great deal as a front desk cashier.) After I shadowed, I went to Disney University (located behind the Magic Kingdom where Traditions is held) where I met with the rest of my First Impressions class. We had introductions, watched a few training videos about dealing with difficult guests, the importance of great guest service, etc., and practiced introducing ourselves to guests (“Howdy! Welcome to Ft. Wilderness. My name is Kelly. How may I assist you?).

The next 5 days were spent in a classroom learning how to use the Disney Property Management System (DPMS). We learned how to locate a reservation, modify a reservation, check in a reservation, take payment on a reservation, cut keys for a reservation, and check out a reservation. We also learned the proper way to handle money and the backout process. As we learned new techniques, we put them into practice in a practice lab set up like a resort front desk.

After the formal training at Disney University, I began my “On the Job” training (*every location is slightly different). Mine began with a complete tour (“comp tour”) of my resort. This was a day long. A front desk Cast Member took me and another CP in a golf cart and showed us the entire campground.

After my comp tour I began my training with my trainer. This was done one-on-one. It lasted 5 days. The first day I watched him do one check-in and I jumped right in and started my first check-in. (But a lot of people just watched for a day or so. It all depends on your comfort level.) I didn’t remember too much from my Disney University training so my trainer mostly talked me through my first couple of check-ins. But I slowly began to get the hang of things. Occasionally, there were situations that I couldn’t handle and my trainer stepped in and took over. Throughout the week he and I sat down and went over areas that I still needed to work on. But by the end of the week, I felt like a semi-pro.

On my first day without my trainer, I began my shift with 4 hours of online training, and ended the shift all by myself on the desk.

I know that was a lot of information to absorb, and I hope I didn’t scare you too much. Just remember, you’re working at Disney. If you have any questions or concerns your leaders and managers are there to help you. And they WANT to help you.

THANK YOU everyone for your responses, I'm sure they are very helpful to those who are trying to decide where they would like to share some magic during their CP!

I'm still gathering info from my DDs, one was on Main Street in the Confectionary, the other was at DTD at Toy, WoD, and BBB, so I'll post what they tell me when I can.

Even though I am only 16 years old, it has always been my DREAM to work in a Disney park, and now that I am thinking about it more and more, I wouldn't know what role to put down as my "top 5" choices!! I really want a role that has lots of guest interaction, in the parks themselves, flexible hours and something more "unique" to Disney (if that at all makes any sense.. hehe) Is there a specific role that particularly includes all those aspects?

Thanks!!
-TizianaL

Even though I am only 16 years old, it has always been my DREAM to work in a Disney park, and now that I am thinking about it more and more, I wouldn't know what role to put down as my "top 5" choices!! I really want a role that has lots of guest interaction, in the parks themselves, flexible hours and something more "unique" to Disney (if that at all makes any sense.. hehe) Is there a specific role that particularly includes all those aspects?

Thanks!!
-TizianaL

while I haven't done the CP before, I am putting 'Character attendant' on my list. From hearing about it on here, and seeing them in the parks when I visit, I know that they can have a lot of guest interaction, they are in the parks and I think their role is unique to Disney. You may or may not think of this role as 'unique' to you but I like to:) Everytime I've been there, it's the character attendants that do the vocal interacting for the characters. It's them that explain to the children why it is that they don't talk, and they do funny interactions with the characters.

I think it would be a chance of a lifetime to pal around with the characters all day, almost everyday for a while:)

However, I'm not sure what the hours are like. I suppose it depends if the park you're working at has EMH and whatnot. :)

Character attendant (in my opinion) is a great role. I love getting to work with the characters, and work in all 4 parks. Also, the hours are not too bad. The only time you usually work late is if you are assigned to dining, Toontown, Epcot WS (a couple of places are opened later then others), and maybe EMH (if you get it). Other then that, most are morning/afternoon shifts.

My Spring Advantage 06 CP I was Merchandise in Asia, Africa and OOTW in DAK. I was in Africa about 95% of the time, working at Everest only on official opening day and OOTW to stock maybe five times. I LOVED merchandise, I was trained in register, money room and stock, so my schedule was always different and I never got bored. I loved all my managers and they were great at showing their appreciation. I met a group of 10 CP's who worked the area as well and we all became very close, I still talk to the majority of them, and three of us actually went down on our second program together.

My second was Main Street Operations (Parade and Audience Control & Park Greeter) in Fall 2007. This CP was honestly a bit of a challege for me. I was not able to communicate with managers as I would have liked, didn't really get any opportunity to know them that well. I worked about 40 other CP's from all over the world, so at times I kinda felt like I was in high school with all the drama. I did make some great friends though. PAC was my favorite of the two roles within MSO. I loved talking to guests waiting for the parade and playing with the kids in the street...whether it be hookey pokey, hula hoops or the wave. Park Greeter (turnstiles) was honestly a bore in my opinion. Very repetitive..."place your finger on the blue light"..."no sir it is not a fingerprint scanner"....and of course CROSS OVER DENIED....some guests just didn't understand the concept of a hopper.

Overall my second CP was definaltly and eye opener...I did love wearing all the crazy costumes for the PP, MVMCP, and MNSSHP. Whatever you end up doing, have fun.

My first CP I was in Attractions/Greeter at Disney Quest. It was really cool, just because I think DQ is so unique in the way it’s handled. We learned how to operate all the rides there (there are 9 of them), and we were also Greeter trained (turnstiles). I’m pretty sure it’s the only place in the parks that train in both, but it made it easy to pick up hours in different parks for a Greeter shift.

Anyway the hours were really good, as DQ doesn’t open until 11:30, so the earliest I ever had to be there was around 10 (if I remember correctly). And the latest it closed was 12, so the latest I’d get out was 1 at the latest. Well… except for the overnight but that was just… an evil night (fun, but evil).

Everyone pretty much knew everyone else there, and we were all friends. The only people we didn’t know well were… well… we knew everyone, the merchandising people, the matinince guys, the people that worked the ticket windows; the people from cirque… pretty much everyone. The managers were really good too, very willing to work with us if they could. There was also a high level of guest interaction; I’ve heard it said that DQ has the highest amount of guest interaction anywhere in the parks, so definitely fun working there.

My second CP will be in Merchandising, and I’m pretty excited for that too!

Has anyone done the Travel Planner role? Can you share what's involved?

It has been a while since I was in the CP (actually one of the first to do Vacation Planning @ the Studios). But I can tell you that it was the best job there. I originally worked attractions hostess at RNRC which rocked!!! Got a little tired of some of the questions, but that's the case in any position. Vacation Planning was cool - literally because you had an air conditioned booth all day. When things were slow (late afternoon) we would call each other, put the other on hold, and put on the speaker phone to listen to the Disney hold music. There's a little more politics in VP than attractions (because you are grouped with Guest Relations and closely managed due to the cash flow). But if you are good with money, good with people, know the parks and think you may stay in FL and continue working for the parks, this is the best position because it is a lot of responsibility and potential for growth. It got to the point where if I needed extra cash, I would work my VP shift, then call over to RNRC & F! to see if they needed extra people.

Negative Point: not as much "fun" time in the break rooms usually and early mornings.

HTH!

I did custodial in MK. Tommrow land and Main St. It the easy thing ever. walk around sweep, anwser questions. You can(did intel cds came) away with more then other roles. I like it. I appling for anyother program this fall. i want merchandise or custodial again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter