Covid travel UK-US ... or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe but it does mean US citizens with relatives here can visit them.

but thats NOT what I was talking about. I specifically brought up the topic of European people living and working in USA who can not come home to see their families. There is no "maybe" about it. My friend who lives in California , on a work visa and Irish passport is just one of the thousands of forgotten people impacted by the US Presidential Executive Order.

That does not mean anything for UK people working in America who are on a UK passport. Yes its great that they can come home without having to quarantine, but they wont be able to get back in USA. THATS the whole problem.

Until the US President removes the travel ban anyone who is working in USA but is there with a European passport and work visa can not return to USA if they leave the country.

It is only USA citizens with a USA passport who can travel to Europe and return to USA.
Got ya. I didn't realise the situation was different for your friend - thought you'd meant they had a US citizenship with family in Europe.

At least it's another step in the right direction. Hopefully other countries begin to reciprocate the opening up with other countries which have similar rates. US seem to be very stubborn on this front though.

I cant help but wonder if anyone from the US, apart from those that have been deprived of visiting family, are even in any rush to come over to the UK for a holiday the way things are. Very few I'd imagine.

That said, if I'm looking for a positive its at least a slight step forward.

I cant help but wonder if anyone from the US, apart from those that have been deprived of visiting family, are even in any rush to come over to the UK for a holiday the way things are. Very few I'd imagine.

That said, if I'm looking for a positive its at least a slight step forward.
Virgin Atlantic claiming a 250% increase in US to UK bookings today. Take that with a pinch of salt, 250% may not be as high a number as they're making it out to be. Could be 35 bookings instead of 10 😆

Virgin Atlantic claiming a 250% increase in US to UK bookings today. Take that with a pinch of salt, 250% may not be as high a number as they're making it out to be. Could be 35 bookings instead of 10 😆

Indeed. 250% increase on what number ? 😂 To be fair I would expect an influx of people visiting family but as for your 'normal' tourist ? Cant see it being significant.

I think the hesitancy of the US to open borders to Europe is because of the Delta variant. But the Delta variant is bound to pick up in the US sooner or later, and once it is as prevalent there as it is over here, and they learn to live with it like we appear to be doing, then I suspect they will become more relaxed about things. But that could take a couple of months yet I reckon.

the Delta variant is bound to pick up in the US sooner or later
It already has. It's Delta ripping through a low vaccination rate population in some areas that is killing them at present - sadly quite literally.
A combination of complacency since last year wasn't too bad (pre-Delta), anti-vax publicity and politics had stalled vaccination rates according to an article I read earlier today, though this wave has kicked many into getting jabbed in a hurry.

That could be because they sent emails out to at least the US Flying Club members saying the UK was open for US visitors. I got the email. I had been working on planning a trip for 2020 before everything shut down, and the email got me very excited to pick up the planning again. I am vaccinated and ready to travel again.

I think the hesitancy of the US to open borders to Europe is because of the Delta variant. But the Delta variant is bound to pick up in the US sooner or later, and once it is as prevalent there as it is over here, and they learn to live with it like we appear to be doing, then I suspect they will become more relaxed about things. But that could take a couple of months yet I reckon.

A friend who works in healthcare in the US said that Delta is already rampant over there and its just an excuse but who knows.

I do think though that the UK reopening the border for U.S. travellers demonstrates how quickly and suddenly the situation can change (for better and for worse!). This is also quite clearly a calculated move by the UK, knowing that it will put the U.S. administration under considerable pressure to remove the ban, as the ban begins to make little sense once you have U.S. citizens frequently going back and forth. Already you can see the media is starting to pick this up. It would not surprise me at this point to see the ban lifted within the next 4-8 weeks if we start seeing a large number of U.S. arrivals in the UK over this period.

I am also noticing media stories about Irish people living and working in America who cant come home, like my friend. I saw a journalist request on Twitter today , looking to interview people. Hopefully this will high light the issue that its not just about Irish people wanting to go to Walt Disney World, but the huge amount of families being separated.

Hard to judge but this does suggest to me that the CDC will not want them to open up soon:
'War has changed', CDC says, calling for new response to Delta variant
(Reuters article, 6 min read.)

apparently the delta variant is as contagious as chicken pox - meaning a sick person will get about 9 other people sick....
that's what the CDC is upset about according to the new york times and washington post.

i just had my third pfizer jab yesterday. Here's hoping it helps, but no way of knowing.
i feel pretty lousy right now, so i guess that's a good thing.

apparently the delta variant is as contagious as chicken pox - meaning a sick person will get about 9 other people sick....
that's what the CDC is upset about according to the new york times and washington post.

i just had my third pfizer jab yesterday. Here's hoping it helps, but no way of knowing.
i feel pretty lousy right now, so i guess that's a good thing.

Your 3rd Pfizer Jab ?

AND loads of people are waiting to get their 1st ?

How come you received your Third Jab ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter