couldn't stand Coronado Springs

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelcity5044

Earning My Ears
Hi,
We just returned from our stay in the Land June 8th-13th.
We booked at Coronado Springs and requested Cabana 9b but ended up with Casitas 3. We had a corner room with 2 windows and it was nonsmoking.
I will start by saying that huge is an understatement when it comes to this resort. We parked right outside our building but still had at least a 15 minute walk to get to our room.
Yes, it is a beautiful resort and I like the overall looks of the grounds. I booked a standard room but got upgraded to a water view and had a nice view of the lake. I could see the Swan/Dolphin complexes and the ruins we straight across the lake from me.
The problems..... checkin was easy but we had to beg for a package to be delivered. Our room had 2 windows but they were very dirty as was the mirrors. The room looked a little worn overall especially the carpeting. Having onlt the Dolphin to copmare to, the room was tiny!! You don't realize how small a room has to be to contain 2 double beds.
I am not a moderate level person. I could not stand that people walked right outside my windows. What was the worst part was that the sink/vanity area is in the bedroom area plainly visible through the 2 windows. So to do anything you have to shut your drapes st why even bother worrying about the extra window!! They should have designed the room with the sink in the bathroom to give you a at least a little privacy to get dressed, brush teeth, etc.
The last straw came when I called and requested turn down service. The housekeeper came at 6pm in the middle of us getting dressed for dinner and despite our protests proceeded to turn down the beds with us half dressed standing there staring at her!!
When we returned from dinner, around 10pm I talked with the night manager voicing my concerns and told him I was very uncomfortable staying there. Without even asking, he called and had us transfered to the Contemporary at no extra charge. He told us he wanted to make our stay magical and he did. He even booked us in to a tower room with an awesome view of the bay.
The room was huge, private and turn down service came at night when we were out of the room. On our last night they even left us balloons and an Aladdin beanie. Having the monorail right there was incredible and it was very nice to have your room so close and accessible yet private.
I would reccomend the CR to anyone, especilly those with kids and I don't think I could reccomend the CSR especilly to those who value privacy and room size and appearance.
If you have any questions let me know.
Thanks

Sorry to hear you didn't like it. I'm staying there for my first visit in August and still look forward to it despite mixed reviews. All the mods I've stayed at (CBR, POR) can have a lengthy walk. Although I'm probably just used to it. I don't mind the moderates even though I've stayed at the Contemporary and enjoyed it as well.

I'm amazed you got such a huge upgrade to the Contemporary. It is rare to even get a Tower room upgrade if you are staying in one of the Contemporary wings. Let alone for the price of a discounted moderate. WOW.

Personally I prefer the sink area seperate from the shower and toilet. I like my privacy when I'm in the bathroom. Then when someone wants to use the bathroom the other can use the sink for brushing teeth, putting in contacts, etc...

I didn't realize moderates offered turn down service.

I didn't realize moderates offered turn down service

They don't. That could be part of the problem....Expecting deluxe amenities and surroundings at a moderate resort.

All I can say is WOW :) Upgraded to a Contemporary Tower room for the discounted price of a moderate? I would've thought I'd died & gone to heaven LOL....

How many nights were you at CSR? We stayed at CSR last year, and we did like it, but you're right, it's a massive resort. During that trip we didn't plan on going to the parks, we were doing golfing & other stuff like that, so CSR really fit the bill for what we wanted at the time.

I just wanted to mention that I guess the rooms over at CBR are larger & there is a curtain between the sink area (which is where it was at CSR) & the bedroom....

Other than the resort did you have a good vacation?

WE stayed at CSR and although I am not a "fan" I think its OK as a moderate. You either love it or hate and I think that has to do with where you land there with your room assignment. Cabanas are the pperfect "spot" but other areas can be iffy. We were in Ranchos and it was just to far to use the PM as I had planned which was a great dissapointment. The pool is great especially for kids. The carpets do look worn, whats with that?

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay at CSR. And I am glad DIsney was able to make things better for you.

However, I have to agree with the others. I think you went in expecting more from CSR. Moderates do not offer turndown service, I am surprised they sent anyone up to do it at all. And all the moderates have exterior corridors. I am not sure if you knew that or not before going, but, with having exterior corridors, people are able to walk by your window. It's just par for the course.

Agree with previous posters that this is a moderate, and it doesn't have all the amenities of the deluxes - turndown service being one of them. The only mod that I know about that is small in scale is POFQ, but sounds like mods might be out of the question for you in the future. All resorts but deluxe have exterior corridors. Since the corridors are exterior, essentially there are no corridors, there are windows that people can walk by. I think all but deluxes have double beds in most of the rooms. They may have a few with a king bed.

I am glad that you appreciated the beauty of the resort. I found it to be especially peaceful and relaxing. Didn't mind the walks at all. The trip that we stayed at CSR, I was less concerned about getting to the parks, and just wanted to enjoy the resort. We sure did that. The bus service to the parks from there, though, was great. We never waited for a bus.

The management seems to be excellent, having sent someone for turndown, when they normally don't do that, and arranging to have you finish your trip in a deluxe.

steelcity5044 - Thanks for the great review. I have only stayed at some of the deluxes, so I've often wondered about how I would like the moderates.:confused: The rates are of course so much better, but would I be comfortable with everyone walking by my window? It is just a personal vacation style decision everyone has to make for themselves.

Other posters - Don't slam steelcity5044 for not liking CSR. They admit in the original post that they were not moderate resort people. And that is fine - not everyone is. I believe the poster did mention the beauty of the resort and complimented the manager for taking care of them. As far as the turndown service request, well honestly I've never asked for it, and wouldn't know which levels offer it. Seems like an honest mistake to me. Dirty windows, mirrors, worn carpet - they seem like legitamite complaints and something that others on this board might want to know before they go. I don't care what level you stay at in Disney, I don't think any of us would expect to see those things. How long has it been since CSR's last rehab? Maybe they should schedule one.
I agree when there are negative reviews with just plain crazy complaints or no backbone, they probably don't belong on these particular boards. But it seems like this poster did try to mention some positives for the resort. And I for one appreciate the honesty of a "deluxe" person staying at a moderate resort. Could prevent some future vacation disappointments by knowing what to expect. Give them a little slack!:bounce:

Thanks again steelcity5044.

Re-read posts. Didn't think anyone was slamming steelcity. Sorry you got that impression. Hope my post wasn't misinterpreted as a slam. Just a board conversation........

Sorry A1A1!!!!!
I didn't mean to preach either, but I've seen some of these posts turn ugly pretty quick and didn't think this particular post really deserved that. Wasn't pointing any fingers - just wanted to say I appreciated the honesty of the original post. Sorry if it sounded too strong!:(

I agree with with BOB NC and A1A1. You said you got an immediate upgrade to a great view. You also said check-in was easy. Then you ask for-and get-turn down service. You may have had expectations that were a little too unreasonable. If you start out with a predisposition to find fault you most probably will.

I'm sorry that you did not enjoy CSR. I do believe you were expecting too much from a moderate. Turn down service? I'm shocked you even received it. You must have known what you were in store for with this resort. You even made a request for the Cabanas. That tells me you were pretty informed about this place. They were very kind to send you over to the Contemporary.

My DW and I stayed at CSR a few years ago. We had mixed feelings about the resort. The room was ok, but we felt the 2 queen beds cramped the space a little bit.

We didn't especially mind the walk to the main pool. The walkways were nice and it was good exercise. We liked the quiet pool near our room.

I loved the hammocks... it was a great way to spend some "away from the parks" time.

The walkways in the evening were great for a romantic stroll.

We didn't especially care for Pepper Market. Running around to different stations and having your "ticket" stamped was a little too goofy for us. We prefer either buffet or sit-down w/ menus. I guess this place just didn't fit us.

We had a nice vacation, but probably wouldn't go back to CSR. Just a personal choice.

At least now you know not to book a moderate resort again.:D I don't think I'd like people walking right by my window and door either.

Soryy you didn't like Coronado Springs, I've never stayed there - only at Contemporary prior to buying into DVC, now I stay at OKW, so I don't have any experience with the Moderates. Coronado Springs looks like a very pretty resort, from what I could see of it as I was driving by on the way to AK. I think my main complaint at CS would be the lack of a sit-down restaurant, I like to be comfortable and relax at meal time. I've never request turn down service (just not important to me.)

Reading the report here, it seems that CS is either a "love it" or "hate it" resort.

Thank goodness there are enough resorts to suit everyone. I just read a post that didn't like the PM, which I know some people don't, but *I loved it!!!!*.

I loved the CSR, but also noticed the carpet wear. I had never stayed at a moderate before, but that was my confirmation that mods were good. They are different from the deluxes in a lot of ways, but they definitely have their benefits! Some of the theming and beauty of the mods is breathtaking. I could have walked around CSR all day noticing different flowers or bugs or touches every time.

It is good to do your research hear on the DIS and other places to know what you are getting, unless you don't mind a pleasant surprise. Two of my favorite resorts receive *very* mixed reviews here - AKL and CSR. I am going to try CR this summer armed with the mixed reviews, but looking for the beauty and fun wherever I can find it there. I only make myself miserable when I find fault. That can definitely ruin a vacation.

CR tower rooms are around $340/night. You must have done some very convincing complaining.

The only time you get turn-down service without having to request it is on the concierge level. I'm surprised they did it for you in a moderate resosrt.

I don't think anyone was "slamming" the orginial post. I think others were only trying to point out to future guests that you get what you pay for.

All Disney resorts have their differences most are determined by price. For future guests do your homework and eliminate some disappointments before you arrive. There is plenty of information here for those that need it.

The differences in resorts are price, room size, bed size, interior hallways vs. outside corridors, patio and balconies vs. none, valet parking, turn down service, room service, in room package delivery, transportation options, etc. The more you pay the more you get. As to the bathroom/sink set up that varies between resorts even deluxe ones. The older resorts have the sink in the main bath, new resorts have the sinks in the room with only the tub and toliet in the bathroom.

I think it is fine to realize that a moderate resort is not for everyone, however I think it is unfair to the resort to expect more than what you pay for.

I think the upgrade was extremely generous for being uphappy with the choice and next time you will know as you stated, moderate resorts are not your thing.

Chuck S, the CSR does have a sit-down restaurant, the Maya Grill, open for breakfast and dinner.

As to the original poster's comments, I agree that it does sound like expectations were too high:

--Problem getting packaged delivered. I believe many of the resorts hold packages at the front desk.

--Problems with turn-down service. Since they don't offer this service, maids aren't trained to do it when folks are out of the room.

--Dirty windows and mirror. A legitimate complaint at any resort.

--No interior corridors. True at every moderate.

--Doesn't like station setup at Pepper Market, prefers buffet or sit-down. All moderates have food courts. Maya Grill was available for breakfast or dinner.

--Small room. Goes with the moderate, but the rooms aren't all that much smaller than at WL or AKL. Trend in hotels is toward smaller standard rooms. CR rooms are comparatively huge.

Sounds like the manager went way out of their way to make the poster happy.

Thanks, DancingBear, I didn't know about Maya Grill - Do you think it would be worth driving over from OKW to try this restaurant? Is it seasoned Southwestern style (hot peppers) or relatively mild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter