Could a Disney Community "Leader" ever become a Disney Legend?

MJ6987

DIS Veteran
I don't post much on here, especially this forum, but I'm a long time Podcast listener...go easy on me if this is a daft idea!

Pete's recent rant about some of the recent Disney legends, got me thinking....

Could, or maybe should, some of the Disney Community "Leaders" (for want of a better word) be made a "Disney Legend" or does it have to be someone who has specifically "worked for" the Disney company?

The three that came to my mind when thinking about this are:

Pete Werner
Lou Mongello
Len Testa

To me, these three (and no doubt others) have done infinitely more for regular Disney fans than, say, Whoopi Goldberg.

Maybe there should be a "campaign" for these to be recognised as Disney Legends. Or maybe for them to create a new category for "Disney Community Legend"!?

What do you think? :)

Last edited:

I think you had to work for Disney, but for Carrie Fischer, Oprah and Whoopie to be on the list how hard can it be? None of them really advanced Disney any more than the Olson twins, and they hardly represent the values Disney Corp wants displayed by their legends. Pete and Deb Willis were the first in the game with websites, and Pete has done more than anyone.

Even so, I'd give one to Michael Bowling.

None of them really advanced Disney any more than the Olson twins

How dare you. That two-part Full House Disney World episode is a Classic, and stands the test of time as a documentary for what every trip to Disney World in the early 90's was like.

Anyways, I don't see it happening. For as much as Pete has contributed to the Disney fandom online, he's also been very critical of the company. That shouldn't be a problem, really, because Pete's criticisms have been fair. But hey, I never thought Jack Kirby would be considered a Disney legend, but then Disney bought Marvel.

So yeah. Disney just needs to buy the DIS for it to happen.

I believe you have to have worked at the company in some fashion and contributed something the company sees as worthy. I don't see the bloggers becoming legends.

I could see some type of other award that is given to non-employees that make a big advancement to the Disney brand .... though, before you get to people that have done so in the age of the interwebs, you would have to cover people like those behind E-Ticket Magazine and probably even people like Jim Korkis and stuff

I could see some type of other award that is given to non-employees that make a big advancement to the Disney brand .... though, before you get to people that have done so in the age of the interwebs, you would have to cover people like those behind E-Ticket Magazine and probably even people like Jim Korkis and stuff
Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking - maybe a new category "Disney Community Legend" - especially in this day and age where companies rely on the wider community to spread the word for them rather than just traditional marketing.

I think it's a blanket no – but if such a category existed, Lou is so quick to be a spokesman for the company that he'd definitely get in over Pete, who is not afraid to call Disney out when they need to be out.
So very true, Pete has his company and it's interests in mind and tells all of us how it is; Other people tend to portray WDW as crapping out kittens who are crapping rainbows even while they price gouge their hotel guests for food rations during a hurricane that missed by a few hundred miles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter