Couch to 5K running plan...has any tried it?

Disney1fan2002

<font color=red>Like OMG the TF is SOO psyched to
It looks pretty cool! According to this, I could be running 3 miles by March!

Anyone want to start this with me?

I am so busy doing it (and WW) that I don't even have time to give myself any cute avatars:sad2:

I'm at the end of week two, and am trying my best. I am VERY overweight and out of shape, so I am concentrating on doing the distance as FAST as I can, even though I usually can't make the time stated (yet).

As a reward for completing two weeks, I bought myself a Garmin, and LOVEEEEE:love: it, it really motivates me when I can see exactly how far I've walked, how fast, and the computer software program with it shows my path and graphs where I'm faster and slower. Best $200 I've spent in a long time!

I'm hoping to "graduate" from it to Marathoning With Mortals by the summer!

Terri

Congratulations! You are moving! Anything that you can do to get yourself up and at 'em is a great program. Do what you can and keep on keepin' on.

I've heard many having success with this program.

I love Marathoning for Mortals too. I am a penguin!

I just did my first "run" of week #4.

I got through it, but I looked like this guy :scared: when I was done:)

Another former coach potato here!

I did a 3 mile run today--week 5 of Marathoning for Mortals for the half-marathon I will run in Dallas on April 1. I am a week ahead for my marathon date, so I will repeat a week in early March to match up a scheduled 6 mile date with a 10K in Houston. I started with a walk/run plan and am now switching to a run/walk plan.
If I can do this, then anyone can do it. Have fun with your plan and make it work for you!

Just have to share that I *finally* was able to finish the distance in *less* than the recommended time! Yes, I was pretty tuckered when done, but the program showed that I kept a good steady pace. I was so excited I woke my husband up screaming, "I shaved 3 minutes and 24 seconds off", which would have been more thrilling to him if he hadn't been asleep for only two hours after working twelve! I will NOT be a "couch potato" forever, I *will* graduate to penguin eventually!

(Still loving the Garmin...)
Terri

It seems like everytime I have had a baby (3 times now) I have completely quit excersizing, and packed on close to 80 lbs. After the babies were born I would ALWAYS use the Couch to 5k plan on Coolrunning.com. I just finished my first marathon in WDW this year. Granted, due to the heat it wasn't the time I thought it would be, but I finished a marathon. My husband was so shocked and excited that I finished that he has now started doing the Couch to 5k and plans to run WDW in 2008. I run every run with him and he just finished week 1. Just wanted to let you know, it does work and the fact that you are up and moving and doing something at all is so much better than most people out there. Come join us in the Events and Competition sub board. That's where we all get together to talk about our daily runs, excersize, races, etc... and give each other a ton of support.

Take Care,
Dana

I am very curious about this.Where can I get more info on the program??I am "training" for a 5k.So far I have gone from being able to jog/run less than 1 min to being able to do it for 5 min.I will take all the advice I can get.:goodvibes

It looks pretty cool! According to this, I could be running 3 miles by March!

Anyone want to start this with me?

Where do I find this plan? Disney1fan2002, where are you in MA? I'm in Brockton.
I've joined a gym and started Jan 9 walking 1mi at a 2.8 pace. I'm up to 1.5mi at a 3.2 pace. I have over 100lbs to lose as well and would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!

I would add that if you're not "up" to the official couch to 5K site plan yet (I know I'm not), there is a modified version that is basically walking VERY fast in the current issue of Weight Watchers magazine.

Keep on moving!
Terri

I will join you!! I keep saying that I am going to run but...somewhere around a few miles I keep getting stuck!! I have run in a 5K before, so I know that I can do it...I just need to get started again!! :banana:

Hi! I have used this plan in the past and am starting it again now after a very long (several years) break from running and I hope to run the 1/2 marathon in Jan 08. I found a great podcast that had music and tells you when you should be running/walking so that you don't have to time it yourself. You can get the podcast here: http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/

I would add that if you're not "up" to the official couch to 5K site plan yet (I know I'm not), there is a modified version that is basically walking VERY fast in the current issue of Weight Watchers magazine.

Keep on moving!
Terri

Well I tried it at the gym tonite. I got the first 30 sec run in and the last but had to walk inbetween. I lasted 30 min though mostly at 3.2m/hr except when I ran at 4.0. It was hard for me.

Thanks for the link - I need to get cracking on this---I want to do the Minnie 5k in May.

I just started today. I'm a week behind, I got sidelined by a cold, darn it. :)

I second the podcasts, they are great, it's not music you can sing along with but it will definitely keep you moving and his cues to change tempo are fantastic. I like to zone a little while I'm working out so it's nice to just be able to focus on finding a rhythm.

I had wanted to do the Disney 1/2 next year but I'm going to have to wait since we'll be in Disney for Christmas, it's too close for me to swing a second trip so I'm going to be working on the Minnie in '08.

Wow, thanks for sharing this...sounds about perfect for me. I'm starting this afternoon.:cool1: :cool1:

Hi everyone I am so excited to have found this site! :goodvibes This is my goal to run a 5k this year!:) I had no idea you guys were on here! I was just looking around and found you guys! I know Im babbiling but Im soo excited!

Today on the tread mill I was abel to run for 5 min for me (still very couch potatoeish) that awsome! :cool1:

Great job every one it sounds like you guys are so motivated! It must be awsome to acomplish such a phsical task! Way to go guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter