• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Costco

Wdloepp

Earning My Ears
Has anyone ever booked a Disney world trip through Costco. If I did my calculations right we could save almost $500.

Has anyone ever booked a Disney world trip through Costco. If I did my calculations right we could save almost $500.

Costco is great! We book our Adventures By Disney trips through them and they rebate a pretty huge Costco gift card back, (almost 10%) after we travel. I know what I want to book and I don't need a travel agent because I do all the research. I love getting the "commission" through a Costco gift card.

We booked with Costco travel before covid for Costa Rica and it was great. I looked for Disney this year and the cancellation policy is not as good as it was in the past.

I've used them in the past for non-Disney trips and have been pleased. We booked our current (here now) trip in April and Disney had no room availability where Costco had CBR so we went with Costco. I made the mistake of not reading the fine print and didn't realize until later that the cancellation policy with Costco is really bad compared to booking directly with Disney. Since Disney opened up rooms later I was able to compare and we didn't save anything booking with Costco and were stuck due to the cancellation policy. One of the people in our party couldn't travel so it was a pain. We are at least getting a credit for our unused park tickets.

You are able to add the tickets to MDE to make a park reservation but you still have to go to Will Call to get your tickets since you book with Costco. Yesterday we thought we'd do that at Disney Springs so we could take advantage of early entry today. 1.5-2 hour wait for guest services at DS! We ended up going to the gates at MK last night but with the travel time, it took a long time (we had dinner reservations at WL).

With all this hassle and red tape, I will not book a Disney trip through Costco in the future unless the discount is crazy high. It's just not worth the hassle and risk!

I always look to Costco first, but that's me. I've booked two WDW vacays with them. Easy as pie, NO surprises. So simple, very straightforward, very easy. If the pieces do not fit their configuration templates, if you talk to an agent, they are pretty darn smart, too. They know how to work their system for any changes you might need.

For the previous mention of Will Call for tix, I've had MB's, so never needed a hard ticket.

I always look to Costco first, but that's me. I've booked two WDW vacays with them. Easy as pie, NO surprises. So simple, very straightforward, very easy. If the pieces do not fit their configuration templates, if you talk to an agent, they are pretty darn smart, too. They know how to work their system for any changes you might need.

For the previous mention of Will Call for tix, I've had MB's, so never needed a hard ticket.
We have magic bands but we still had to go to will call. No way around it we were told. Everything was linked in MDE too. It was so frustrating. This might be a change if they worked before?

We have magic bands but we still had to go to will call. No way around it we were told. Everything was linked in MDE too. It was so frustrating. This might be a change if they worked before?
Some of COSTCO TAs know Disney better then others. You absolutely have to go to will call want if you want a physical ticket. They will not get mailed. If you don't want (souvenir value) or need (hate idea of magic bands) a physical ticket you don't need to go to will call. Wording is exact. They don't want to say anything which implies the additional expense of a magic band is required. I had a long discussion where they finally agreed I could use my tickets via magic band.

There is a distinction between having a physical ticket and being able to just get the benefits (use) your ticket.

edited to add:
Linking your ticket to your DME makes it very difficult for any third party seller, including COSTCO, to resell your ticket to another customer or return to Disney for credit.

I had to cancel a Dolphin package few years ago. They refunded what they said was the hotel cost and I had to keep my Disney tickets. The cost for the tickets aren't separately shown when I booked. My cost for the tickets, amount not refunded, was a couple of dollar less then what the popular resellers were chareging.

Last edited:
Every time I check Costco for a variety of dates and hotels it says that nothing is available. Is there a trick to checking the price online? Or do I need to call?

Every time I check Costco for a variety of dates and hotels it says that nothing is available. Is there a trick to checking the price online? Or do I need to call?
Just call. This site is sponsored by a Disney TA. Offering support for costco travel may be pushing rules

I never had too much luck. I think it's because our trips usually aren't that long, or I am a tinkerer and like to go the a la carte route for more flexibility

I just looked at Costco travel again for February, looks like the cancellation policy is better. Full refund up until about 3 days before departure.

What?! That just changed then because it was so restrictive for our trip last week. Our trip was for 10/16-10/23 and we booked it on 4/3. While I was in the booking process it appeared that they followed Disney's schedule so I felt more comfortable, but when we got the confirmation this was the policy (copied from my confirmation email:

4/3-10/10: 65% refundable
10/11-10/15: 50% refundable
10/16+: 0%

So we were basically out 35% just by booking no matter what! Once August hit and the COVID numbers were rising we felt trapped even though we purchased travel insurance as well. That would only cover us if Disney canceled us or we got sick ahead of the trip, not due to any caution of going when it was bad. Add the inflexibility of getting the tickets I mentioned earlier I wouldn't book with them again for WDW. I would for a cruise or other vacation though as I've had great experiences in the past.

What?! That just changed then because it was so restrictive for our trip last week. Our trip was for 10/16-10/23 and we booked it on 4/3. While I was in the booking process it appeared that they followed Disney's schedule so I felt more comfortable, but when we got the confirmation this was the policy (copied from my confirmation email:

4/3-10/10: 65% refundable
10/11-10/15: 50% refundable
10/16+: 0%

So we were basically out 35% just by booking no matter what! Once August hit and the COVID numbers were rising we felt trapped even though we purchased travel insurance as well. That would only cover us if Disney canceled us or we got sick ahead of the trip, not due to any caution of going when it was bad. Add the inflexibility of getting the tickets I mentioned earlier I wouldn't book with them again for WDW. I would for a cruise or other vacation though as I've had great experiences in the past.

It looks like when I looked at booking not all packages were the same refund policy. Some with Disney tickets has the policy you mentioned above, some with Universal tickets had the policy, cancel right up until 3 days before.

It looks like when I looked at booking not all packages were the same refund policy. Some with Disney tickets has the policy you mentioned above, some with Universal tickets had the policy, cancel right up until 3 days before.

I never looked at Universal and at the time, you could only book Disney resort if you bought a package with tickets. You couldn't book hotel only which I would have preferred.

I'm looking right now for our party of six, we are considering staying offsite as we really need a suite and we've outgrown AoA. There is a package for the Sheraton Vistana hotels that includes a flights, hotel, Park Hopper tickets and a rental car. I've never stayed offsite before and am concerned it won't be as magical not being contained inside the Disney bubble. But the price is so much more affordable than the family suites/villas at the pricier resorts.

Question - can you buy travel insurance for Costco vacation packages? I didn't see it as an option on their website.

I booked my summer vacation and stayed at the Dolphin - it was great. It was cheaper staying at the Dolphin than the Caribbean Beach and the location was great. With Costco it included the resort charge so I didn't have to worry about that either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter