Cost of carpeting a 2,000 sq. ft. house

klfrech

DIS Veteran
Anybody have any idea? I've never purchased carpeting, but would like to finally replace what is in our house. I want to carpet 7 rooms, a long hallway and a staircase. I realize it depends on the quality of the carpet and the padding, but was just looking for a general cost.

We carpeted our 1000 sq ft. basement through Lowe's. Installation cost $249 carpet $2700 with the highest grade padding because of the cement floor. We purchased a midgrade carpet.

I am interested in seeing the responses too. I just want to carpet 3 bedrooms and a hall, but I don't want to spend a fortune.

I just carpeted 2 bedrooms, a living room, and a hallway. 690 square feet. I paid $900.

Of course, a friend laid it, and cut us a deal on labor. He cut the labor costs by 1/3.

Break down:

Carpet: $522
Pad: $165
Labor $200

He threw in the tack boards for free.

So, we did get a deal.. but, that's what it cost us. One week ago.

*We did rip up the carpet ourselves, and move all of the furniture off for him.

Lowe's currently is running a promotion for unlimited installation costs of I think it was $129. That is fabulous! I don't know what kind of carpet you're looking for and obviously what you choose is what will determine cost. Our bedroom carpeting is obviously much less expensive than our living room carpet but it's gorgeous and holding up great. Lowe's did that room for us for about $700 with the installation. It is a 16x19 foot room.

My family room carpet that will be replaced this year is now 17 years old. It is a 20x24 ft room and that cost us $2000 way back then. Front room, dining room, dining room, stairs, and upper hallway is being replaced by Home Depot. They damaged it when they came to try to fix their contractors bad install and now are replacing it free of charge after 10 years! That carpeting also ran about $2000 with extra labor due to the stairs.

Kitchen flooring gets out of control so I'm hoping you aren't doing that! My vinyl in the new kitchen was $1700! Wowza!!!!

So, I would plan on spending around $4000 or so for the whole thing. I would go to Lowe's and try to work with them on a deal for when carpeting is on sale and do it on a 12 month no interest plan. If you don't have a Lowe's CC open an account and get the extra 10% off....on 4 grand, thats worth it!

Hope you have fun and find what you're looking for!

*****Oh and one other thing......do *NOT* go cheap on padding! Get the best padding they have. Cheap padding will make great carpeting wear terribly and great padding can last for more than one install and also make cheap carpeting hold up and seem much better!

We spent about $1,200 to carpet about 1,100 square feet. We got the standard pad, inexpensive carpet, and paid for installation - all from Home Depot. We were selling the house, so we didn't want to spend too much. (The house sold in 3 weeks, by the way! So, the new carpet was a hit!)

We spent about $5000 to carpet our house 2000 Sq. ft home. We got the best quality pad and mid-grade carpet.

Recently, thanks to Disers, I was told that in the Post Office moving packet is a 20% off coupon for Lowes. I don't know if it will work for carpet, but something to consider.

We spent about $1,200 to carpet about 1,100 square feet. We got the standard pad, inexpensive carpet, and paid for installation - all from Home Depot. We were selling the house, so we didn't want to spend too much. (The house sold in 3 weeks, by the way! So, the new carpet was a hit!)

THat's promising! That is exactly why we carpeted. It should go up on the market next Wednesday. I'm hoping for a quick sale... GO carpet. :thumbsup2

luvmy3--Can I ask where you purchased your carpeting? Did your price include installation and removal of the old carpet?

luvmy3--Can I ask where you purchased your carpeting? Did your price include installation and removal of the old carpet?

We purchased from a local flooring store. The cost did include installation and removal. They also replaced the tack boards in the downstairs family room and dh's office.

We were told that no matter what grade carpet you choose, to go with the best pad you can afford because it does make a difference. We chose mid grade carpet but upgraded the pad to the best because we HAD to replace the flooring when we moved into the house and we didn't have the money for hardwood at the time.

Look for one of those places that works out of a van (seriously!) the kind where they come out and show you samples, you pick one and they install it. Much, much cheaper.

The other thing to do for cheap, fast carpet - call the various carpet places that are privately owned and explain what you need. Eventually you will stumble across someone who does apartments in your town. They will have a nice, plain, cream colored carpet that they can install cheap and quick. It will be nice and generic.

This has worked for me in selling houses. In fact, the house I'm in right now had that done to it before we moved in.

Remember, this won't be YOUR house anymore if it sells. (I had the hardest time drilling that into DH's head when we sold our first house. . .) You want carpet that will look plain and nice and not be a distraction. Not good carpet that your family will play on for generations.

I heard about this also. Do they charge you extra however for pulling up the old,etc.?

It was included in the price of the installs they did here and the contractors we had for this job did a great job.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter