Corona Virus long lasting impact on booking availability

As an owner who doesn't rent, it won't upset me if rental demand takes a significant dive and doesn't recover for awhile. ( I realize that rental demand doesn't add or subtract points from the system, but IMHO, it does have a large affect on the speed that the resorts fill up). Availability lasts longer if owners who use points for their own stays don't have to compete with owners who sell reservations to the general public.

Assuming the resorts stay closed for two months, that puts roughly 16% more points into play. Maybe a little less as those who banked points cannot re-bank.

Do we know the percent of DVC reservations that are rented out? Is it more or less than 16% (I have no idea)? If owners make their reservations at the 11 month window, it would leave very little inventory for renters, so they would not even be able to rent. This reduced inventory will affect owners who rent their points out significantly.

Assuming the resorts stay closed for two months, that puts roughly 16% more points into play. Maybe a little less as those who banked points cannot re-bank.

Do we know the percent of DVC reservations that are rented out? Is it more or less than 16% (I have no idea)? If owners make their reservations at the 11 month window, it would leave very little inventory for renters, so they would not even be able to rent. This reduced inventory will affect owners who rent their points out significantly.

It is going to be a real pickle to deal with this now that the resorts are closed and could be closed until mid May.

I think that is why the next year or two will have very tough availability and you are right, if an owner books not only their trips but rentals on a regular basis, it is going to be harder to do that as rooms are going to be tough

It is going to be a real pickle to deal with this now that the resorts are closed and could be closed until mid May.

I think that is why the next year or two will have very tough availability and you are right, if an owner books not only their trips but rentals on a regular basis, it is going to be harder to do that as rooms are going to be tough

It makes me very happy I bought a guaranteed week contract. Certainly an unforeseen circumstance. Looks like I'm going PVB for the next 3 years from Christmas to New Years!

It makes me very happy I bought a guaranteed week contract. Certainly an unforeseen circumstance. Looks like I'm going PVB for the next 3 years from Christmas to New Years!

You got that right! Good for you! Won’t be stressing like the rest of us!😂😂😂😂

The CDC is now recommending that all large events (over 50) be cancelled for the next EIGHT weeks.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/16/cdc...e-for-the-next-eight-weeks-throughout-us.html
In light of this, I don't see how the parks or resorts can reopen/stay open.

I wish they would just come out with a new statement. Our reservation is for May 2-9, at BRV, and I'd like to know sooner rather than later what to do. I'm trying to hang in there before cancelling, but I know in my heart WDW prob won't be reopened for at least 8 weeks, and we're at the 7 week mark right now. What really bites is that the points go up for June. I could reschedule for May 16-23, at OKW or SSR, but will the parks and resorts even be open by then?

I wish they would just come out with a new statement. Our reservation is for May 2-9, at BRV, and I'd like to know sooner rather than later what to do. I'm trying to hang in there before cancelling, but I know in my heart WDW prob won't be reopened for at least 8 weeks, and we're at the 7 week mark right now. What really bites is that the points go up for June. I could reschedule for May 16-23, at OKW or SSR, but will the parks and resorts even be open by then?

i agree, the wait is stressful along with normal stress. I have a similar trip April 25-May 9 (200 pts) and the first week of June (May 20-June 6) with the grandkids (300 pts). That’s a lot of points to try to use. I’m already looking at my options, but cant do anything. I’m also waiting for dcl to cancel my April 18th Cruise. Plus we’re in the high risk age group. We are already thinking about driving in June if that trip happens. My grandkids have APs and hoping to use them even with the extensions. But if we can’t get lodging it won’t happen. We could book right now if we knew.

Last edited:
I just hope they reopen by June, I have a reservation and military tickets that they likely won't refund.

We’re May 2-10. The beginning days are booked with holding points from our March 4-11 that we cancelled.

We have a reservation the beginning of June. We are waiting it out for now but I am not super optimistic. By the time we know about June I assume availability for the rest of the year will be nonexistent. We want to take another trip before our APs expire so I am gearing up for paying cash prices.

I agree with everyone that it would be nice for them to decide if they are going to extend the closure, and let people know sooner rather than later.

We’re May 2-10. The beginning days are booked with holding points from our March 4-11 that we cancelled.
In the same time, but on cash. I'm no longer expecting to go (I don't think the parks will be open, but I love being wrong some times)

I wonder if it’s possible for DVC to temporarily open up new possibilities for using points, in order to burn through the excess. Can you imagine the response if they let us buy tickets/APs with our points? Or let us use them to get a discount on buying ownership of the new resorts. I think the excess would dissipate very very quickly.

I wonder if it’s possible for DVC to temporarily open up new possibilities for using points, in order to burn through the excess. Can you imagine the response if they let us buy tickets/APs with our points? Or let us use them to get a discount on buying ownership of the new resorts. I think the excess would dissipate very very quickly.

I wonder if they could temporary allow them to be used as reservation points in the DVC Collection.

Points bought after 2011, I think, are ineligible. But I know with the restrictions the put on RIV points, they gave themselves an out.

Maybe they did the same thing when they created that rule.

We just cancelled May 14-21 because I’m not sure if parks will be open.

Sorry :sad: What happened with your points, npatellye?
Don’t be sorry! I totally could have waited it out but I have young kids and I can’t pull them out of school then if we’ve just gone back.

My points came back to my December 2019 use year. I banked some for fear of suspension of banking with no notice.

I moved my vacation up a couple of days so it is now scheduled to start on May 1st but I am not at all certain it will be a go :rolleyes1 I am holding out for the next Disney update and hoping for lots of pixie dust that things will get back to "normal" as soon as possible pixiedust: pixiedust:

I moved my vacation up a couple of days so it is now scheduled to start on May 1st but I am not at all certain it will be a go :rolleyes1 I am holding out for the next Disney update and hoping for lots of pixie dust that things will get back to "normal" as soon as possible pixiedust: pixiedust:
I hope you get to go!!!!

facebook twitter