Convince me to keep Blue Bayou reservation!

Barbanellie

Mouseketeer
Or not? I'm just looking for some feedback, opinions, anything.

Going to DLR for the first time in a month. Just two days for the parks, we are big kids, mid-30s, just the two of us, no little ones. We're not looking to "do it all", or even to "do the best there is". At WDW we love the Port Orleans resorts, and I like the idea of New Orleans Square at DLR. Reading the posts here, watching YouTube videos, I started toying with the idea of going to Blue Bayou. Of course, when I talked to Mr. Barbanellie, he was all "sure, let's go for it". So I looked, and we could get a reservation on either of our two days at 8:40 PM. It's not the best time, but it's OK, we don't mind eating late when we know in advance and can snack appropriately. And although we only have two days, we will be having sit-down dinners, because we need that break.

Anyway, now I have reservation-remorse. I know I can cancel until the day before, and don't have to decide right now, but I don't like holding on to a reservation "just in case". And I just went and looked at the menu for Cafe Orleans, which would most likely hit all the check marks in terms of kind of food, decor, it's obviously much cheaper, and we could get a reservation earlier, around 6 or 7.

I know Blue Bayou is THE place to go. But I'm seriously having second thoughts. Can anyone convince me? Or argue the case for Cafe Orleans? :confused3

Cancel it. BB is super "meh." Cafe Orleans is better, but it's nothing special, IMO. I mean, the best of that kind of food is Ralph Brennan's at Downtown Disney.

I actually prefer the French Market to both BB and Cafe Orleans. Great food, live music, and authentic atmosphere.

It's your first time...don't waste time on a sit down meal.

I'm going to play devils advocate. If you like sit down meals, it's a fun experience. You're paying to sit in Pirates. You can get the same food at CO but not that setting.

I would compare it to DL's version of BOG. The food is not why you go. I would not spend the money to eat at CO. I do at BB.

That said, though, I eat super late. So if that's the deal breaker, go to Ralph Brennan instead. It'll give you a park break and better food.

I personally think it's worth going to. I like the ambience there, and the food is good. Like the previous poster, I don't think the food is good enough anywhere in Disneyland to make me go out of my way to eat there, but I like the overall experience at Blue Bayou.

Edit: probably worth mentioning that BB is my wife's favorite restaurant there. She really likes the lamb chops.

Last edited:
We ate lunch at BB for the first time our last visit, and we probably won't repeat the experience. It was interesting, but the food choices didn't interest me, and the ambience, while a neat experience, was REALLY dark. I don't like not being able to see my food. That said, our service was quite good, and the food was perfectly acceptable. Just expensive as anything.

That said - if you want to do it, you really should experience it once.

for ambiance...BB can't be beat...you are defiantly going for the experience more than the food quality.

Carnation Cafe food is FAR superior IMO, but the "experience" pales in comparison to the BB IMO.

More interested in food: CC
More interested in the ambiance: BB

I would advise catching lunch at a CS in New Orleans Square and save that money for Carthay Circle or Steakhouse 55 or something like that. Blue Bayou is okay but if you're not really excited about the location alone and are already on the fence I would just try something else.

I have eaten there twice, glad I did, have the memories, but oh my Lord when you get the bill , yikes! I had a reservation for my upcoming trip but canceled it.

Midnightred

We love BB. Its charming. Expecially a table by the water. Makes for great memories. I will say we do not eat there every visit.
Bit of a budget buster.

If you do want to experience BB for less money, try sharing or splitting an entree. Sharing costs nothing. The server will bring an extra plate, and you will divide the portions yourself. The portions are generous and the food is rich. The split fee is $12. Each person will get an appetizer, and the kitchen will divide the entree and sides. We love BB, but not for the food. Mainly for the experience and fun. CO is fun, too, and much less expensive than BB. Fun people watching from the patio. But not the same atmosphere at all. Ride POTC and look at the restaurant as you go through the bayou section. Try to ride when there will be people dining there so you can really see what it will be like. If you want to dine there, fine. If not, you can cancel your reservation right after the ride using the app.
And if you want an earlier reservation time, keep checking online/the app/calling the Dine Line to look for cancellations. It is quite possible that you could get an earlier time before your trip starts.

Last edited:
I think the BB is a fun and charming place to eat, but only if you get water side seating. Sitting waterside is part of the DL magic and you feel like you are part of the POTC ride (make sure you ride first so you are in the vibe)--you hear the sounds of the bayou, experience the open sky, see the fireflies and the shooting star. To get water side seating, you need to show up before your reservation--say 15 or 30 minutes (there are other threads specific to this) and let them know you want a water side seat. It will take a little longer to be seated, but I think it is worth it. Otherwise, it is a restaurant with quite good food, but a so-so atmosphere.

I know Blue Bayou is THE place to go.

It isn't. The food isn't great, it's dark, and it smells like the start of POTC. It's far better to look in from the boat and think you're jealous for a moment while you're actually on POTC and then get to experience the ride and eat elsewhere. Watching people going on a ride just isn't all that exciting!

We go to BB every time we go to DL, and we always get a table by the water. I can't imagine not going. But as others have said, it's for the atmosphere. POTC is also my favorite attraction, so maybe that's part of it ... but everyone else in the family also loves it. I do like what I get there, the Monte Cristo (we always go for lunch).

We always go. Love the atmosphere. I prefer the gumbo to most of the mains, but really you go for the ambiance. I would use for Fantasmic fp if it's going.

Did anyone else mention to keep trying to change your reservation? There is movement in the schedule. Especially in the few days before your trip. Then you can cancel at the 24 hr mark if needed.

Also, I wouldn't miss the fireworks or WOC to eat at BB.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter