Controlled Chaos and the Quest for Bottomless Dole Whips - LIVE! Semi-live? Over ?

brettcw23

DIS Dad #722 Pittsburgh, PA
*** Page Reserved for table of contents and other fun stuff ****

1. Intro
2. ADRs and Planned Itinerary
3. Travel Day- flight, ME, Check-in
4. WDW Transportation
5. Dining Review(Raglan Road|Flame Tree BBQ, Ohana|Via Napoli, la Hacienda San Angel|Casey' Corner, BOG|Starring Rolls, Contempo Cafe, Hoop Dee Doo Revue|Mama Melrose (Fantasmic Dinner package)|Chef Mickey's, Pinnochio's Village Haus & Columbia Harbour House|Pecos Bill's
6. FP+ and Magic Bands
7. Disney Prep: DIY items to enhance the trip

Intro:

A little bit about me and my travel party.
I am just south of the 40 year mark, have a beautiful wife Renee and two amazing kids.
We also have a dog (Bella...the similarity to the name Belle is not a coincidence!)which I refer to as my child with fur & fangs. :dogdance:

We live in a Northern suburb of Pittsburgh and are all Disney zealots. I occasionally ask my girls if they are tired of Disney and they look at me with contempt. I am apparently raising them right!

In addition to being a Disney-centric family, we are major Pittsburgh sports enthusiasts. We are die-hard Steelers fans first and foremost but are active fans for the Pirates and Pens, too…and even Pitt football and basketball.

We joined the DVC back in March 2011 after our 3rd family trip and have been to:
• AKL Kidani 2012
• BLT 2012
• BWV 2013
• We will be staying at BLT again for this trip.

We are very fond of being close to the Parks.

On many of our trips, there have been special Disney events…ESPN weekend, EPCOT flower show, F&W Festival, MNSSHP and now MVMCP! :santa:

Last edited:

We are a little under the 60 day mark (54), which to me, in Disney Days is like 3 weeks! Planning for a trip at this time of the year is exciting but at times challenging. We are all adjusting to the "back to school" mindset and all of the activities that happen at this time of the year...soccer, dance, ccd, school curriculum nights...you get the point. Oh..and both of my girls have Bdays in September and October!

But being a Disney zealot, we've been mapping out our plans for quite some time! I def subscribe to the theory I'm at WDW or planning the next trip! Fortunately, my wife Renee is truly my partner in crime and is as much of a control freak and planner as me. So I know (much like real life) that whenever I ere, she will be there to fix my mistake(s)!

Last edited:

I'm trying to update daily or at least every other day. I promise to insert some humor for the entertainment of those subscribing. While I am a Disney zealot and have been there numerous times, I am a firm believer that Disney knowledge is meant to perpetually evolve. So while on this journey with my family, friends and me, feel free to offer suggestions or your own comments about experiences that you may have had or things you would have done differently. I love sharing knowledge amongst all of the folks on the DiSboards!

Also, I promise to include LOTS of photos. My report will be semi-live as I try to do any updates when the family is sleeping or when we have some down time. My DW has scolded me more than once for "playing on my phone" while we wait ever so patiently in line for something. ;)

Day 00 Saturday: the plan is to check-in, get some light eats and then head to DTD. We haven't been there in a few years. I'm looking forward to hitting some stores that have Disney things that are more unique than what we'd normally fins online. My youngest was bummed about not getting into T-Rex, but numerous folks have told me that we'll enjoy Raglan Road. We're then planning to head over to MK late evening since we're staying at BLT. We'll see how we're all holding up at that point since it will be a long day. :headache:

Day 01 Sunday: Animal Kingdom. Now here's the thing, I LOVE animals, but for some reason, I have had bad Park days at AK. I am going in with a positive attitude and hoping to have a blast. We’ll do the Wilderness Explorer stuff for the girls and I’ll get Flame Tree BBQ for lunch. Can’t go wrong with those plans! Then that evening we are doing Ohana. After that it’s SNF and I am still trying to determine where I am watching the Steelers-Ravens game. I am thinking of trying to find a spot at the bar at the Top of the World Lounge at BLT.

Day 02 Monday: EPCOT. This should be a fun day. Not like every day at WDW isn’t but it’s the F&W Festival! So I should be able to gross a few thousand calories on this day! I’m a little bummed that Maelstrom will be closed before we get there, but at least I had ridden a few times before. I always thought that it was underrated. In addition to the food, I’m pretty pumped for the craft beers that are going to have. I expect them to have some good ones there. It’ll be a blast, but certainly not cheap! The girls will enjoy the Kidcot Fun Stops and filling up their passports as well. They are finally at the age where they are starting to really enjoy the World Showcase. My youngest is very excited about dining at Coral Reef. We did it last year but she’s very optimistic that we will get to sit by the aquarium. Who am I to dampen her enthusiasm!
EDIT: 10\29\2014 - Coral Reef is off our ADR and we are now doing La Hacienda San Angel. Youngest DD signed off on it after I pointed out the Mexican boat ride and cheese quesadillas!

Day 03 Tuesday: MK. I am excited for this day for many reasons. Mainly 7DMT and BOG! Our FP+ for 7DMT is at night. I think it will be really cool to ride that at night. I love MK at night. It’s always cool to see the different lights on the attractions and of course Wishes. We did BOG last year and we were seated in the West Wing. Our girls loved that. More important than the ambiance was the FOOD! Everything that we had was absolutely amazing! I’m confident that it’ll be delicious again.

Day 04 Wednesday: The thing I am looking forward to on this day is Hoop Dee Doo Revue. We've never done it before, so there's a lot of anticipation. I like all of the food options that are going to be served and I am particularly interested in the free alcohol! We will have 10 of us at this dinner and the family that is joining is a super fun bunch that will enjoy the HDR shenanigans as much as me! After dinner, I think we are going to roast some marshmallows with Chip n Dale at the Campfire Sing-a-long at Fort Wilderness.

I suspect that we'll do a 1/2 day at DHS on this day. DW and I both love that park and our girls enjoy the heck out of RnR, ToT, TSM and Star Tours. Plus I think DHS has some really cool, underrated things like the Writer's Stop and the Magic of Disney Animation. We try to stop by this every trip. It's especially neat to see our DDs drawings from one year to the next.

We do assortment of things for our trips like many other families. Our friend's mom got our girls Disney themed hair bows from Etsy. They look great!

I also am making us tie dyed shirts with Mickey heads. I finished the kids' shirts and they look great. I just have to do 8 more for the adults.

I promise to post photo of all of the items mentioned here. Just need some free time to do it!:bitelip:

Happy dance in effect!
:cool1: :banana::dance3::cheer2::yay::dancer:party::jumping1::dogdance:

We just found out recently that ANOTHER set of friends will be joining us for this adventure. We now have 4 families in the travel party and one of them includes extended family of a really cool Grandma and Aunt. Everyone knows each other really well and all of the kids get along. Just thinking through the head count...
1 Grandma
4 Moms
4 Dads
1 Aunt
7 kids

That's 12 females and 5 males....I'm not sure I'm prepared to handle that much estrogen. At least the big kids (adults?) have the kids out numbered. :thumbsup2

Steelers-Mickey logo,Tie dyed shirts for the group...13 in total! And some Cast Member Appreciation cards.

Bottomless Dole Whips says you?
Add in some rum and I think I feel a change in the wind, says I.

I'll be joining this crew.

Day 00: Arrival Day

Things went pretty much as planned today. Up at 5AM after Trick or Treating last night was rough though.
Our plane took off from PIT at 9:15 AM and we were feet-on-the-floor at MCO by 11:30 AM. NOW..the line for ME was pretty long. We got in line at about 11:45 AM and we got to BLT at around 1:30 PM. Of course we were the last stop after the Poly, GF and VWL.

The CMs that took care of when we got here were super friendly. We found out our room was ready, which was a bonus. We dropped off our carry-ons and headed out to catch a bus to DTD. We got the bus at 2:30 PM and arrived at DTD around 3:00 PM.

We met up with some friends that live in Port Orange and checked out a bunch of the shops. We had an ADR at Raglan Road. I have to say our experience was fabulous. 6 people, five different entrees and all thumbs up./ We really enjoyed the ambiance, the music and the dancers. They also had a very nice selection of beer. I tired the Belgian Fat Tire and selected La Fin du Monde for my wife.

We stopped at a few more shops after dinner and my youngest DD purchased a stuffed Sven. Following that we headed back to BLT so we could unpack and relax. Not bad for arrival day!

Last edited:
Day 01: Sunday

GREAT start tot he day! We did AK and are taking a break at the moment and back at BLT. Tonight we have an ADR for Ohana at 6:30 with friends.

AK was great. a Little busy but we got there early and we met up with 2 separate sets of friends. We got to ride all the attractions with a very short wait and I got to see Flights of Wonder for the first time.

We did have a snafu at the beginning of the day. We were at AK well before it opened and near the front of the line. We scan our MBs and lo and behold, it says we have no admission. Mind you, we are Premium Annual Pass holders and it shows on MDE and has for several months.

So over to guest Services. I wouldn't go as far as to say that the CM was rude, but she was all business. I even smoldered to try and get her into a playful mode. Didn't work. We had it corrected fast enough. I asked if there was any way for us to get back to the front of the line since we had already been here for 30 minutes....no dice. Get in line with the rest of the schmucks. Grrrr.

I will talk to management CM at some point.

As for pictures...I'm having some challenges transferring from my camera to my tablet and\or phone, so I'll see if I can find a creative way to correct that. Otherwise some of these posts are going to ahve to wait until I have my laptop.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter