Contemporary vs Grand Floridian

blackacex2

Mouseketeer
Which do you prefer? Contemporary magic kingdom view or grand floridian garden view? Going in April and am a little concerned about construction at the floridian. Prices are very close with contemporary about $30 more per night. 2 adults no children.

Contemporary MK. I'm not a fan of the GF outer buildings even when there is no construction.

Pakey said:
Contemporary MK. I'm not a fan of the GF outer buildings even when there is no construction.

Have you stayed at both? What's the big bummer about the outer buildings?

We have never been a fan of selecting a resort that has construction or even rehab work being conducted. Especially at Disney where they promote their theming to the point they call their employees Cast Members. It takes a way from the experience, especially when you have the option to avoid it. The worse thing for anyone is to plan a vacation to Disney and select a resort that has this acitivity going on and you don't know anything about it. Disney often does not even tell a guest. For us, we are on vacation. We are paying premium prices. ..we would select the resort without construction. For others they may not care one way or the other. We have stayed at both resorts and under these circumstances would select CR Tower MK View.

I would pick GF. We stayed there for the first time in December for our wedding and honeymoon and LOVED it. Since then we have stayed at POR and it wasn't the same... I think I'm GF spoiled now. It's just so beautiful and relaxing. We didn't hear any of the construction going on but we did also stay in Sago Kay.

I have never been a fan of the looks of the contemporary. We googled to see what the rooms look like and it isn't our taste.

I would avoid a resort with construction going on. And, it is true, Disney doesn't always tell potential guests about construction.

We have stayed at both GF (main building club level) and Contemporary (garden wing room).

Both are very nice hotels. Ordinarily, I would probably pick GF because its style is more to our taste plus we enjoy the beautiful lobby, the music, etc.

But, we really enjoyed our CR stay as well. The Contemporary rooms are large and comfortable. And, for me, since it's one of the original three hotels when the MK was built, it just says Classic Walt Disney to me -- especially with the monorail going through the building.

Given the construction at GF, I would go with CR.

We have stayed at both my dear wife prefers the Grand Floridian she likes the restaurants, shops and pool. I prefer the Contemporary I love BVG and the fact that the monorail is readily available I do however miss the Concourse Steakhouse and do not like the Contempo Café or the Wave and I have to agree with my wife that the Grand Floridian Café is better.

Have done both.... All our first bunches of trips we were at the CR, north garden wing....late 70's and 80's.... Best resort for ambiance, restaurants and game room plus food court... Our resort if choice.... Then....

One trip we were booked at CR and 2 weeks before going, Disney offered us the GF at the same price ( they must of overbooked ) we went and did not care for the GF at all... First impressions on passing thru are, wow, how neat but after a day staying there, out buildings and all... No ambiance or connection at all.... Never again, been there, no appeal at all...

During that trip WL just opened and we wandered over, saw the resort, felt the ambiance and connection and have never looked back.... Best resort of all time out of 47 trips.... WL!

Have you stayed at both? What's the big bummer about the outer buildings?

I have stayed at both. I have also stayed outer and main at GF. I dislike the outer buildings. I don't want to walk outside to get to the monorail or walk uncovered to the bus stop. I don't want to go outside and walk to the main building to speak to the concierge. Certainly not for the price GF charges for those outer building rooms. I love staying in the main building; it's my second favorite resort behind BWI. So if I'm going to stay at GF; I am paying the extra $$ to stay GF RPC.

The outer buildings, for me, are like going to a good concert or play and buying the cheap seats way at the back. I'm more of an orchestra seat person. :p

I vote for Cont Magic Kingdom view! Also we have stayed at both and I just love the Cont. It has been a while since we have been there but we have it booked for our August trip. :cool1:

We've stayed at both and could recommend either one. Aesthetically the GF is much more upscale, but the CR is just so dang cool with the monorail running through it and MK right across the street. :earsboy:

I have stayed at both. I have also stayed outer and main at GF. I dislike the outer buildings. I don't want to walk outside to get to the monorail or walk uncovered to the bus stop. I don't want to go outside and walk to the main building to speak to the concierge. Certainly not for the price GF charges for those outer building rooms. I love staying in the main building; it's my second favorite resort behind BWI. So if I'm going to stay at GF; I am paying the extra $$ to stay GF RPC.

The outer buildings, for me, are like going to a good concert or play and buying the cheap seats way at the back. I'm more of an orchestra seat person. :p

i couldn't agree more. we stayed outer building once and would never, ever do it again. i LOVE rpc but if i had to be in an outer building i would just stay elsewhere. i don't mind standard at Poly, but at gf, no way.

I actually prefer resorts with outer buildings so my vote would be GF. Because OP is going in April, the weather will be beautiful and the landscaping will be in grand splendor. Our family actually enjoys the walks to a main building that houses the food, transport, shops, etc as the incredible landscaping is so enchanting. When we stayed at CR, the grounds there are just not as lush and has a lot of concrete everywhere you turn.

I like that the outer buildings are more quiet and less hustle and bustle. CR tower and GF main building are so busy all the time. It is nice to have your room in a more serene location. I also really dislike walking through the main building to get to my room when I have on a bathing suit. It just feels awkward.....

Now if OP were going in July or August when it is super hot and lots of rain showers, CR would be more appealing under one roof.

I actually prefer resorts with outer buildings so my vote would be GF. Because OP is going in April, the weather will be beautiful and the landscaping will be in grand splendor. Our family actually enjoys the walks to a main building that houses the food, transport, shops, etc as the incredible landscaping is so enchanting. When we stayed at CR, the grounds there are just not as lush and has a lot of concrete everywhere you turn.

I like that the outer buildings are more quiet and less hustle and bustle. CR tower and GF main building are so busy all the time. It is nice to have your room in a more serene location. I also really dislike walking through the main building to get to my room when I have on a bathing suit. It just feels awkward.....

Now if OP were going in July or August when it is super hot and lots of rain showers, CR would be more appealing under one roof.

Agreed!! Being in the parks all day with all the hustle and bustle its kinda nice to come home to an outer building and enjoy the peacefullness. As far as i know, the rooms are no different just in a quieter location.

Agreed!! Being in the parks all day with all the hustle and bustle its kinda nice to come home to an outer building and enjoy the peacefullness. As far as i know, the rooms are no different just in a quieter location.

You are correct, outer building rooms have the same decor, as do the CR wing rooms and tower rooms. We have stayed in both on numerous occasions. Our last CR tower stay was just hubby and I and while we enjoyed the stay, I did not enjoy our room location, two floors above the monorail station and right above Chef Mickeys, the exact location I had asked to avoid. I felt the vibration every time a monorail came in. The GF rooms are a little larger and the bath area has the sinks outside of the shower/toilet area if that makes a difference. Both rooms are quite spacious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter