Construction at Coronado late August?

momofmikey

Mommy also to Daniel and Lauren
I am thinking of switching my reservations of 2 rooms at the Pop to 2 rooms at Coronado. It's the only moderate we never stayed at, and being it's our 20th anniversary, we wanted to do something different. I know that they are doing room renovations right now which wouldn't bother us, but what did I recently see about major renovations there? Would that be starting and visible when I'd be there late summer?

2 year project is beginning with some buildings being torn down and a 15 story tower being built.So yes It will be going on in August.I am scheduled to be there in August in the building that was demolished and don't know where we will be moved to yet

I am thinking of switching my reservations of 2 rooms at the Pop to 2 rooms at Coronado. It's the only moderate we never stayed at, and being it's our 20th anniversary, we wanted to do something different. I know that they are doing room renovations right now which wouldn't bother us, but what did I recently see about major renovations there?

Would that be starting and visible when I'd be there late summer?

Yes and yes.

They have begun prep work and what they have announced will be a substantial construction impact.

They are already stripping 9B. I would expect demo to start soon.

Later, they plan to BUILD AN ISLAND. It will be disruptive.

I just had friends ask me about which moderate to stay in for June, and recommended CSR because we love it, over CBR which was what they were thinking, and we always request 8A and 8B, and figured room refurbs wouldn't be too a big deal. But now with the announcement(very sad about our fave being changed this way BTW:guilty:) I don't know what to tell them - they were booking CSR, but I don't know if it is best for them to go back to CBR, although they could have construction started as well. Only other option is POR I guess to be safe, but I know they didn't want to spend more for preferred, which they'd definitely want at CBR, and possibly at POR, and also liked the more central location of the others. So hard to know what will be taking place by June, but I am guessing it could be major.

Also, does anyone know if 9A will be torn down as well? I'm sure it may not be out there yet, but from the size of the tower in the drawing, it seems like it would have to, but then only two Cabana buildings, so much less capacity, and don't really want to be next to a high rise - whole atmosphere changed! It never felt like a convention center to us, but I think it definitely would now:sad2:.

Based on the nature of the permits, I think construction at CBR will be less intrusive to the guests than the CSR.

CBR is focused on two of the villages, and those in any other village will have minimal exposure to the construction, and the villages under construction will not be any kind of barrier to getting anywhere important.

The demolition at 9B is likely to make getting to El Centro harder for anyone on that side of the lake.

9A is in the refurb permits. There is no permit to demo 9A.

Thanks everyone. I haven't done any research yet, so forgive the stupidity of this question. Because I know it is such a large resort, is there anywhere that would be better to stay that would have minimal impact from the construction? Or is it right in the middle of everything, and there's no escaping it?

I just had friends ask me about which moderate to stay in for June, and recommended CSR because we love it, over CBR which was what they were thinking, and we always request 8A and 8B, and figured room refurbs wouldn't be too a big deal. But now with the announcement(very sad about our fave being changed this way BTW:guilty:) I don't know what to tell them - they were booking CSR, but I don't know if it is best for them to go back to CBR, although they could have construction started as well. Only other option is POR I guess to be safe, but I know they didn't want to spend more for preferred, which they'd definitely want at CBR, and possibly at POR, and also liked the more central location of the others. So hard to know what will be taking place by June, but I am guessing it could be major.

Also, does anyone know if 9A will be torn down as well? I'm sure it may not be out there yet, but from the size of the tower in the drawing, it seems like it would have to, but then only two Cabana buildings, so much less capacity, and don't really want to be next to a high rise - whole atmosphere changed! It never felt like a convention center to us, but I think it definitely would now:sad2:.

If they don't want to pay for preferred and don't want construction at their resort, why not suggest POFQ? Preferred is not necessary at this small resort, the rooms are quaint, they can walk over to POR and use the facilities there and they can take the boat to DS.

Otherwise, they could book POR and request a mansion. Both of the standard mansions are fairly conveniently located.

Thanks everyone. I haven't done any research yet, so forgive the stupidity of this question. Because I know it is such a large resort, is there anywhere that would be better to stay that would have minimal impact from the construction? Or is it right in the middle of everything, and there's no escaping it?

The lake is in the centre of the resort, so that and the 9B replacement tower will be highly visible. However, some areas in Ranchos might not be as bad as some Cabanas or most of the Casitas. Unfortunately, the dining and shops at El Centro will be in the midst of the construction, so avoiding it altogether will be difficult. Also, the Ranchos are the furthest away from everything so walking may be an issue. Some people find the 10 minute walk from ranchos onerous, others not so much.

Bottom line, i am sure that Disney will endeavour to minimize impact on guests, but this looks to be an amount of construction that will be unavoidable to at least some degree. I would stay elsewhere until this is finished. IN fact, I have changed plans from staying in CSR in Nov to stay at POR again.

Based on the nature of the permits, I think construction at CBR will be less intrusive to the guests than the CSR.

CBR is focused on two of the villages, and those in any other village will have minimal exposure to the construction, and the villages under construction will not be any kind of barrier to getting anywhere important.

The demolition at 9B is likely to make getting to El Centro harder for anyone on that side of the lake.

9A is in the refurb permits. There is no permit to demo 9A.

If they don't want to pay for preferred and don't want construction at their resort, why not suggest POFQ? Preferred is not necessary at this small resort, the rooms are quaint, they can walk over to POR and use the facilities there and they can take the boat to DS.

Otherwise, they could book POR and request a mansion. Both of the standard mansions are fairly conveniently located.

Thanks for the info.!

NOTE: CSR is smaller than POR or CBR.

This is the approximate construction areas. My guess is sooner than later the bridge from The Dig Site (main pool) to the main hub may be closed. That is our normal path from Ranchos, our favorite, (6 and 7) to main building. Ranchos look like the least affected buildings visually but could be a long walk to main hub or take bus. Casitas (1-5) may or may not have a view depending on where you end up. My guess is Cabanas won't be able to avoid it other than 8A rooms facing Ranchos. But I have stayed there and hated the people and golf cart traffic - we were first floor.

2025599a-7e43-4c25-9fa3-25487e3afdb0.png

El Centro, the Pepper Market, Rix Lounge or Cafe Rix will not be torn down as shown in the photo above. The resort is large enough to make the work not as intrusive as you may think.

izb120.jpg
[/IMG]
k3947b.jpg

El Centro, the Pepper Market, Rix Lounge or Cafe Rix will not be torn down as shown in the photo above. The resort is large enough to make the work not as intrusive as you may think.

izb120.jpg
[/IMG]
k3947b.jpg

Actually I did not color the area of Pepper Market, etc. What will be impacted at some point will the the right side of the main building as the current check in area will be re-imagined. Also the permit renderings show the area in front of the construction area all the way out into the water and encroaching on the current bridge will be impacted. The email that was sent even stated some pathways will not be in working order. There is also an island with restaurant happening in the lake so in order to work on that there will be construction supply/equipment entering, probably across paths to right of main entrance.

I highlighted all areas impacted whether with construction of buildings, reimagineering of buildings, removal/blocking of pathways, silt fencing and construction walls. Agree the resort is not that big but the construction project is ......... and it will have a big impact. I could not in good conscience tell folks this will not disrupt their vacation. I go very often and this is my favorite moderate but I have no plans to deal with this construction.

Dear Guest,

We are delighted you have chosen to stay with us at Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort!

Here at Walt Disney World Resort, we are always looking to deliver more unforgettable experiences and magic to our guests.

Over the next two years, the Convention Center, Guest rooms and surrounding areas will be undergoing a refurbishment. New distinct touches and a new colour palette will be introduced to the Guest rooms and across the resort to help tell the story of the great Francisco de Coronado, and to reflect the vibrant spirit of adventure that lived within the Spanish explorers. In addition to the existing Guest rooms being refurbished, the transformation will also include the addition of a 15 storey tower, adding additional services, such as Club Level and Concierge, and a rooftop restaurant and bar, allowing spectacular views of the night time firework displays.

We have a long tradition of enhancing our resorts while also maintaining the magic of the Disney experience, as we have with Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort. Rest assured, while we are working our magic across Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort, we are making every effort to ensure our guests experience the comfort and enjoyment of all we have to offer. The renovation will be taking place in blocks, therefore Guest impact will be kept to an absolute minimum, however there may be some noise between the hours of 9:00am – 17:00 pm and we may have alternate paths of travel throughout the resort. We have been advised that guests will not be situated near the work area and we anticipate that all Dining Options and Resort Amenities will be available to guests throughout this time.

We do apologise for any inconvenience this may cause you during your stay and appreciate your patience and understanding. We are confident that the work taking place will have little or no impact on the enjoyment of your stay. If you need assistance with your reservation please call our Disney Experts on 0800 169 0730 where we will be waiting and very happy to help.

We eagerly await your arrival and wish you a truly magical stay at Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort.

Magical Regards,
Guest Care

Here is the overlay of the resort work. It stays within existing paths and roadways and meets up with the admin building that is next to the main lobby.

2ij1clf.jpg

We are staying in preferred room in late December and was hoping for a renovated room....Does anyone know what the room refurbishment schedule is?

@Incredibles12566 - Preferred building are rumored to be last. Rehabs are taking place in the opposite corner of the resort right now. Ranchos 7A and Cabanas 8A are finished, and the rest of Cabanas will likely be finished this year (if the order continues).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter