Considering Staying-EEEEKKK-farther away than the crosswalk

Kindermouse

DIS Veteran
First let me disclose. I am usually the first person to say that even the HoJo is to far for me to walk. I like being at the crosswalk hotels/motels (Park Place, Park Vue, Tropicana, Desert inn are my go to places). Some time I stay at the Candy Cane and use the shuttle but only if I get a good price.
We go back to our room every day for a break or to swim. I also love ease it adds to the mornings not having to worry about a long walk or dealing with transportation and parking. I am not a morning person but I love rope drop so making the morning easy is a big plus for me. I also give my teen son the flexibility to sleep in an hour or two and call my cell when he is dressed and ready and I meet him at security because he is only a few minutes walk away. Plus I dont like having a long walk late at night when I am tired obviously. I also dont like feeling uncomfortable walking after dark with the homeless population that seems to have been growing over the last few years on Harbor. I appreciate the closeness of my hotel to the inch in proximity.

Now with all that being said I am considering for the first time in many many years staying farther away for our next trip. This next trip would be a bit different because not only will my own son be 15, nearly 16, but we also wont have the little cousins with us and he would be bringing a friend his own age. I was thinking that with it being almost like an all adults trip it would be better to stay farther and get a more spacious room. I am considering the Sheraton Park Hotel, The HoJo and Hotel Menage since it should be done renovating since then.

Am I crazy? Will I be able to be happy enough with having an improved room, increase in size and hotel amenities to make up for the longer walk? I know with 2 teenaged boys I'll need extra space but its hard for me to put my touring style together with being farther from my hotel. Has anyone stayed at these places, are they worth the extra walk?

Last edited:
I haven't stayed at those, but we're tied to Marriott b/c of the discount we get...and staying at the further residence inns are totally worth the walk as opposed to FFI. WE don't mind walking as it is, but really the RI (Harbor/Katella) is only a 10 minute walk and it's totally worth having the free breakfast. You can always get an uber easily if you don't want to walk at night. We've always been able to be there for rope drop and it's not a big deal.

It’s crazy imo if you’re not staying at one of the newest hotels. Such as the country suites, homewood suites, Spring Hill Suites, Hyatt House.

I feel ya. I'm a hotel snob now bc a combination of DVC and having a Marriott employee in the family, so I haven't stayed in the crosswalk area for years. That being said, when I need to stay farther than on-site the last few years (eg when I'm out of points), Lyft and Uber have made it a lot less painful. I just consider an extra $12-15/day to be driven to and from the hotel part of the cost of the hotel. Cheaper than ART, and not that crowded if you have them pick you up/drop you off at the Disneyland Hotel or DTD. We often do that then take the monorail into Disneyland if that's our park of the day.

First let me disclose. I am usually the first person to say that even the HoJo is to far for me to walk. I like being at the crosswalk hotels/motels (Park Place, Park Vue, Tropicana, Desert inn are my go to places). Some time I stay at the Candy Cane and use the shuttle but only if I get a good price.
We go back to our room every day for a break or to swim. I also love ease it adds to the mornings not having to worry about a long walk or dealing with transportation and parking. I am not a morning person but I love rope drop so making the morning easy is a big plus for me. I also give my teen son the flexibility to sleep in an hour or two and call my cell when he is dressed and ready and I meet him at security because he is only a few minutes walk away. Plus I dont like having a long walk late at night when I am tired obviously. I also dont like feeling uncomfortable walking after dark with the homeless population that seems to have been growing over the last few years on Harbor. I appreciate the closeness of my hotel to the inch in proximity.

Now with all that being said I am considering for the first time in many many years staying farther away for our next trip. This next trip would be a bit different because not only will my own son be 15, nearly 16, but we also wont have the little cousins with us and he would be bringing a friend his own age. I was thinking that with it being almost like an all adults trip it would be better to stay farther and get a more spacious room. I am considering the Sheraton Park Hotel, The HoJo and Hotel Menage since it should be done renovating since then.

Am I crazy? Will I be able to be happy enough with having an improved room, increase in size and hotel amenities to make up for the longer walk? I know with 2 teenaged boys I'll need extra space but its hard for me to put my touring style together with being farther from my hotel. Has anyone stayed at these places, are they worth the extra walk?

I would say, if you do not like a long walk BACK to the room, stay with the hotel that is closest to the entrance. Getting to the parks is fine, it is the walk back that your feet do not like.

I don't know if the convention center Springhill is new but we just stayed there and it is a good choice with the group you are talking about. Free breakfast. Reasonable walk and the standard room is two queen with a pullout couch that still has a chaise lounger when pulled out. Fridge and microwave. Our room had the couch area separated by the bathroom wall that blocked the view of the couch when pulled out but most I have stayed at have a half wall between. Its the next hotel after candy cane. We ubered sometimes and walked others. Its usually one of the cheaper Marriot options. Might be close to the same to do two rooms at Tropicana though!

I wouldn't stay at the ménage just bc it's across the freeway and I don't want to walk that way. Hook or Sheraton park, no problem though.

We've stayed, and walked,as far as the Hilton garden inn down at harbor and beyond chapman. It was fine. One night we grabbed a cab to fry home but the other mornings and nights were fine.

My last trip helped me make a firm decision that I need to be near the crosswalk next time. We had a 15 minute walk and I hated every second of those 15 minutes. Our sore, tired feet made it more like 20 at the end of the day. Having a larger room with more amenities doesn't mean as much as a shorter walk at the end of the night. I'm one of those people that never gets to wear cute shoes because of my "problem feet" so I want that shorter walk.
Just me, though.

My last trip helped me make a firm decision that I need to be near the crosswalk next time. We had a 15 minute walk and I hated every second of those 15 minutes. Our sore, tired feet made it more like 20 at the end of the day. Having a larger room with more amenities doesn't mean as much as a shorter walk at the end of the night. I'm one of those people that never gets to wear cute shoes because of my "problem feet" so I want that shorter walk.
Just me, though.
We’re you staying near the toy story lot?

I’ve stayed at Hojo’s at least 4 times and Courtyard (right next door) once. To me, it’s barely like a walk at all. Maybe 10 min or less? It’s always been adults only for me though.
I hope you enjoy, whatever you pick.

We always stay at the HoJo and the walk has never been a problem. It never seems bad at the end of the day because we talk about our day as we walk. We get two connecting rooms at the HoJo. That gives us 4 queen beds and 2 full bathrooms. Well worth the cost for the comfort and convenience.

While I have no problem staying further away (about a mile), I would have a problem with leaving teens and going to the park by myself. I just don't trust other people enough to do that. So, while I'd say the walk is completely reasonable, I wouldn't leave sleeping teens and go to the park.

No, we stayed near the corner of Katella and Harbor.
Toy story lot is right there. If you’d walked past red lion even though you’d be walking backwards a little your walk would have been shorter. For next time in case you want to stay at a hotel.

I just left the Hojo and I walked back by myself every night without issue. We had a corner room, so no balcony but a great view and the room was so big. I have stayed at the Disneyland hotel so I didn't know if I would be ok with off property but I was really happy with the Hojo and would stay there again.

I understand your reservations. I prefer to stay across from the crosswalk whenever possible. I prefer the convenience of walking back to my room for a midday rest. We have no issue with the walk to Hojos. However, I have stayed at Menage before I would not walk any further than Hojos, so we used the shuttle..just a little past my limit after walking the parks all day. Also, I was treated badly by management during my stay so I will not stay for that reason as well. I have stayed at the Sheraton Park twice and we absolutely loved it. The ART does pick up at the hotel, and its a quick ride back and forth. I would have booked it for this trip but chose to spend less points by staying at Sheraton Garden Grove (farther away.) Your decision is affected by letting your teens sleep in, so that can be a dealbreaker. Hope you enjoy your trip!

We stayed at the Hojo for our first trip and it was great. The walk wasn't as long as our most recent trip and there weren't as many homeless or unsavory types in that direction. We would definitely stay there again.

Toy story lot is right there. If you’d walked past red lion even though you’d be walking backwards a little your walk would have been shorter. For next time in case you want to stay at a hotel.

Thanks! I didn't realize the Toy Story lot was there. I'll keep that in mind for next time.

In every other city we stay with Hilton or Hyatt. But my Disneyland touring style is only possible if we stay at the crosswalk. I love the flexibility of taking quick breaks, or a quick run across the street to grab jackets for the evening. Recently we stayed at Hojo on a last minute 2 night trip. We liked it, but seriously it felt like a crazy long walk at the end of the night when we are used to Park Vue/Trop/DI&S. I just love being cozy in my bed 2 minutes after I walk off property.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter