Considering small Boardwalk contracts

A1A1

DIS Veteran
My SIL is selling her DVC which consists of a medium sized BWV contract and three tiny BWV contracts. My family loves, loves, loves BWV because of its proximity to EPCOT and HS and now the Skyliner. For us, the walk around the lake is great, too. The various transportation methods available are perfect, plus walking. We can take a boat to two parks. We hop on the monorail to get to MK and use it to get to TTC for DS and AK. So for us, it is the most convenient of all. We also love going to EPCOT for all the festivals throughout the year and just a walk over the bridge for a quick meal or stroll around. You see how much I love Boardwalk. So many restaurants available just within walking distance. I love the lobby. I love the bar. I love the Wyland Gallery. I just love it all.

Opinions requested please - purchase the smaller contracts coming up (there are three) or the one larger contract if we can't purchase them all? They all have the same use year of April, I think.

Thanks so much for any advice or opinions on the Boardwalk contracts I might purchase. I am not really interested in any other resort as BWV is our favorite and has been for years.

Last edited:
It would really be about how many points you think you’re going to use for your vacation needs. I bought a small boardwalk 75pt contract and it allowed me to book about 6 days a year in a standard view deluxe studio. I would recommend looking at the 2023 point chart and plan a vacation using that information to get an idea how much you should buy. Smaller contracts would usually be easy to sell in the future if you don’t plan to just keep the contract until the end date of 2042.

I would go with the three smaller. Much easier to dispose of later. If they are in the same use year, they work together for bookings. I have two, a 56 and a 67 and they work fine.

I agree with the recommendation to look at the points charts and determine how many points you'd likely need for trips you'd likely take - villa size, dates and length of stay can make a tremendous difference! Then buy whatever combination of contracts meets that need, maybe with a cushion to allow for points reallocations (unless you plan to depend on banking/borrowing if points requirements increase for your trips).

Well, I waited too long and the contract was sold.

That having been said, I see another BWV contract on a resale site close by. The contract is for 176 BWV points, with a ton of additional points banked in. Dues paid. I think I can use those points by the end of the use year at Vero, HHI and some weekends or time here and there at WDW. I think that is how I understand how those 2022 points work. The full 176 points are available. Double the points are available for 2023, so I think I remember 352 for 2023. I could make a really nice trip for my whole family with that to celebrate my new purchase.

Any help or thoughts on the value of the banked points?

Last edited:

That having been said, I see another BWV contract on a resale site close by. The contract is for 176 BWV points, with a ton of additional points banked in. Dues paid. I think I can use those points by the end of the use year at Vero, HHI and some weekends or time here and there at WDW. I think that is how I understand how those 2022 points work. The full 176 points are available. Double the points are available for 2023, so I think I remember 352 for 2023. I could make a really nice trip for my whole family with that to celebrate my new purchase.

What is the use year? sounds like the 2021 points are going to expire with 2022 points banked for next year. Due to Covid 2021 points will expire next year at the end of the month before your use year. So their value at this time of the year will vary highly based upon if you actually have time to book something. Generally people suggest using the rental value from the big DVC rental places to value the excess points if you have time to use them or rent them out before they expire.

Closing on a resale and getting your account setup will take a while, then you need enough lead time to actually fine availability. So Feb - April use years will be hard to book at this point.

What's the use year of the 2022 points? Remember, closing takes about 2 months. And availability can be very slim in the last 4-6 months. If they are true 2022 use year points, hopefully you'd get them in time to bank them for 2023. If they are 2021 points that are already banked, I wouldn't count on ever being able to use them. For example, if they are April use year.... You might close on the contract by December. But by then, it would be pretty tight availability to book anything before April. Remember, DVC typically needs to be books 7+ months in advance.

Buy the three smaller and close them together. I'm guessing closing would be $450 on one or $650 on all three, so that is a big savings! Congratulations!

I'd talk to Mason and get an estimate on the closing costs for what you are considering and take it from there. They might bundle the closing.

The other consideration is that contracts can't be split. So, if you want to sell one or give one to one kid or whatever, the smaller contracts can be more useful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter