Considering OKW, Am I crazy without a Car?

Cmbar

DIS Veteran
I hear so much about how big this resort is. Just curious if we would like this resort if we don't have a car. Unfortunately we are planning on being there when it is crowded so I don't hold out much hope for a great location close to pools and stuff. Just curious from the DVC pros if I would be miserable if we are put far away and without a car. Thanks

You can hop on any bus to take you to the main hospitality area. There is one theme pool and 3 neighborhood pools, all of them are nice. All with hot tubs, play areas and laundry facilities (if you are in a studio). If you are a long way from the front area, you can cross the bridge to Peninsular Rd bus stop, and any bus will take you back to the other stops in the resort.

While we usually do have a car, we've also been without on, and gotten along perfectly fine.

Our first stay at OKW was this past January, and we didn't have a car. No problems at all. Either jump on a bus or walk to the HH, but we love to walk.

I am sure other's will have plenty of opinions for you and it is different depending on how much walking you are used to etc.

We have only stayed there once so far and very much enjoyed it. We did not have a car. The bus service was fine and the walk to the Hospitality House, pool etc. was a little distance. It was fine with us but you wouldn't want to... "oh I forgot something, let me run back to the room". It did feel long at times. On one occasion it was pouring rain and that was not lovely.

I guess what I am saying is, we didn't have a car, had a fine time, but made an extra effort to remember everything we wanted when going to spend some time at the pool, or the restaurant etc.

Plus you may get lucky in that those with cars might request outer buildings to avoid the "hustle, bustle" of the H House area?

Enjoy!

We always have a car but you certainly don't need one just because you're staying at Old Key West. if you've stayed on property and gotten by OK without a car, you'll be fine.
John

I agree, you should be fine without a car. We usually have one, but our first trip to OKW we kept it parked the whole time, except for one trip to Olivia's. But a bus would have taken us there, too!

This might not be true during some times of the year, but when we were there a few weeks ago, they had a bus labeled "Internal Bus" that made the rounds. We never rode it so not sure if it was for guest travel within the resort. You don't really need it though. As other posters stated, to get to the main area, just hop any bus. That is the last stop before leaving the resort. To get back to a distant room, walk over to the *****ular Rd stop and catch any bus. That stop is the first stop.

We've stayed there twice without a car and it was fine. The buses are running regularly and you can hop on one to the hospitality house. You won't mind a bit!

For years we've been flying to WDW (thanks SWA :thumbsup2 ) and haven't bothered with a car, no matter which DVC we go to: OKW, SSR, or the others. We've never had a problem using the WDW transportation from any of the resorts, but then again, we go often enough so that we're never in a hurry. :goodvibes

For us, the only reason we might ever rent a car would be to visit family/friends who live in Florida and who.................. don't like Disney :-)crazy: :crazy2:) , :sad2: .

The Internal loop bus is not a bus that only loops around OKW, it is a DtD bus that stops at Hospitality House both on its way in and on its way out of the complex, so it is usually faster to walk to the Peninsular Rd stop and board there to return to your room.

When we do have a car at OKW it is usually to do things off site and the car sits at the resort the rest of the time. When I have been able to get good rates I rent for the entire trip. If not we just rent for the time period we plan to be needing the car for an offsite shopping trip or visit to some other part of FL.
I prefer to not use the car except to the water parks and sometimes AK. At the resort we walk or use the bus to get from one place to another.

When we do have a car at OKW it is usually to do things off site and the car sits at the resort the rest of the time. When I have been able to get good rates I rent for the entire trip. If not we just rent for the time period we plan to be needing the car for an offsite shopping trip or visit to some other part of FL.
I prefer to not use the car except to the water parks and sometimes AK. At the resort we walk or use the bus to get from one place to another.

This is exactly what we do. We only use the car for back and forth to the airport or grocery runs and resort hopping. We also sometimes take it to DTD if we want to make just a quick trip there. We find the transportation at OKW to be excellent, and there are always ways to "work the system". The mention of using Peninsular Road is one of those ways.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter