Considering Direct & Resale-help!!

Do the Impossible

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! I'm planning to buy into DVC, I know that much. I know how many points I want, where I want to be, etc. However, I just can't get over the resale price differential AND I can't get over how much I want the perks of a direct membership (they are actually worth it for me, and a huge draw). So, my question is say I purchased 75 points at AKL direct, and then another 225 at AKL resale, how would this impact how I use them? (Assuming I get the same use year, which I know is a stretch). Would I be able to use say, 30 points from the direct contract and 15 from the resale contract on the same booking? Would I have different perks/amenities depending on which points I used for a given trip? I'm sure these questions have been asked a million times, so I'm sorry to repost them again, but each time I think I have a handle on how it would work, I read something that makes me question my understanding. Thank you in advance!!

If both are the same resort and same UY they will be under the same members account. You can use them as "one" contract for booking the original 14 DVC units. Resale points will not be usable for cruises, Disney collection... But can be used for RCI trades.
It would be better to buy resale first, then once you have your member number, just call and have direct points to match. Be sure that you have EXACTLY the same name(s) and address on both.

If both are the same resort and same UY they will be under the same members account. You can use them as "one" contract for booking the original 14 DVC units. Resale points will not be usable for cruises, Disney collection... But can be used for RCI trades.
It would be better to buy resale first, then once you have your member number, just call and have direct points to match. Be sure that you have EXACTLY the same name(s) and address on both.
So, this is EXACTLY what I needed to know! Thank you so much! Out of curiosity, why is it best to start with the resale points? Is it just easier to add on direct than resale to an existing account?

You may also find that you need to buy a larger or smaller contract resale based on market. So it allows you more adjustment space.

Just realize that the perks can change or even be taken away. The fact that you state its a huge draw does raise a bit of a red flag in my mind. Not saying not to do it, or not to buy direct, but am curious as to what perks are such a huge draw to you.

And as others have said, buy resale first. Disney can match your UY without issue.

Just realize that the perks can change or even be taken away. The fact that you state its a huge draw does raise a bit of a red flag in my mind. Not saying not to do it, or not to buy direct, but am curious as to what perks are such a huge draw to you.

And as others have said, buy resale first. Disney can match your UY without issue.
In hindsight, "huge draw" may have been an overstatement. I do know that the perks can go away, but they are valuable enough to me to make purchasing a small share direct worth the additional cost for however long I have those perks. They're not the primary driver for the purchase, but they are something I have considered, and that are worth something for me and they way I visit!

I am working on something similar. I wanted enough points to travel in the spring and the fall. The best value points purchasing direct are at Saratoga (with current MFs). AKL is actually near the bottom, but of the non 2042 resorts, it is our favorite. (Note: OKW is selling direct with extended deed expiration.)

We bought 75 Saratoga Direct. If the perks are retained, my family will cover the 12k buy in over the next 10 years in AP discounts from Platinum to Gold, as we are out of state. If not, we still get a great value for staying in deluxe resorts and can bank a year and stay at Riviera and Reflections. And I am almost certain there will be some perk for direct buyers over resale buyers, so we will take advantage of whatever Disney offers.

Now my attention has changed to a resale contract. Price per point is flexible, depending on what's available and what you offer.

We didn't want to buy more Saratoga, but that is the best deal. Looking for something with a home resort booking advantage. Poly was out because we want 1 or 2 BR options. We were between BLT and AKL for 150 point contract. As a young family, we liked the pools at AKL, the value we would get for our money, and of course, the Savannah View. Waiting to hear back from Disney on that one.

If it goes through, we will end up having two different use years, Feb and June. We think we will use the Feb UY to go in the spring in a studio, as my wife and DD's birthdays are a week apart. We travel with grandparents in the fall in 1 or 2 BR, so we would use more points there, but wanted the advantage to be able to bank by Christmas time if our travel plans change. Keeping my fingers crossed that if I want to use some of the AKL points in the spring, it won't be overly complicated. I know its doable.

We bought our first contract back in 2017 for 50 at SSR direct to get our feet wet. A year later I tried to get another 100 direct and all I got was 75 cause that's all that came available first and we didn't wanna miss out since we are using DVC points for our honeymoon. We are now looking into buying indirect since we have enough direct points. I've found plenty of contracts for our UY and we don't want an exact amount of points but just a good deal. That's my two cents on how to do it

I've found plenty of contracts for our UY and we don't want an exact amount of points but just a good deal. That's my two cents on how to do it

Resale before direct will always be the easier and recommended route. True, with your use case the other way around works well, but even you have to realize that direct before resale doesn't work for everyone.

You said you've found plenty of contracts in your UY... for which property? SSR contracts will always be plentiful, but if you're looking for something else specifically (like VGF, BWV), your route will be much, MUCH harder.

Resale before direct will always be the easier and recommended route. True, with your use case the other way around works well, but even you have to realize that direct before resale doesn't work for everyone.

You said you've found plenty of contracts in your UY... for which property? SSR contracts will always be plentiful, but if you're looking for something else specifically (like VGF, BWV), your route will be much, MUCH harder.
I've found them for the non WDW resorts, AKL, Poly, OKW, and once BWV. True my route is very different but we didn't even think about resale when we bought in. We had maybe one night of sleep on this while at WDW and the next day I thought the 50 points were too good to pass up when I jumped on them. We are nearly two years into being members now and still figuring our way around

I pretty much agree with this. However, I think it IS NOT AN ADVANTAGE IN ANY WAY to use DVC points for a cruise, or RCI. It might be worthwhile to use them in the Disney Collection, but only a couple of resorts, CB and French Quarter, at certain times of the year. David's Rentals has a program where they will take your points, even from Resale, and purchase you the cruise you want, PLUS give you money back, compared to the price of using your DVC points directly for the cruise.

In almost all circumstances, it is more economical to rent out your DVC points, and then directly purchase the cruise, the RCI condo, or the Disney Collections resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter