Considering canceling and could use some reality checks/advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lisa LSR

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! I have a current one week reservation to stay at CSR the week of Thanksgiving, with my husband, 14 yr old daughter and 11 year old son. We have been on a tight budget for the past few years, paying down debt. Before that, we took two wonderful trips to WDW, in November, two years in a row.

This is a dream trip, and sort of long-awaited reward for reaching our financial goals. Maybe that's why I'm worried about it so much. I have been reading threads about how terrible the crowds were last Thanksgiving. I mean, like 4 hour lines just to walk around the the Avatar lands, and even a stand-by line for Carousel of Progress! At first, I was like "no biggie" because I'm a huge planner. I will make all my fpasses and ADR in time, etc. I am even considering purchasing Touring Plans for extra help.

I expect crowds. I know it can be bad. But now I'm afraid that being shoulder to shoulder with a sea of humanity is going to suck all the magic and fun out of our trip. I'm afraid kids will be cranky and fussing, husband will be regretful about the money spent, and I'll just feel like it's all my fault (bc that's what moms and trip-planners do, right).

I got up early this am and started looking at other family vacation options (a Grand Canyon trip is one we've also wanted to do). It doesn't seem nearly as exciting, but then again, the deserts of Arizona are pretty wide open spaces...

What would you do?

Why not go the week after TG? That’s when we always go and of course there will be crowds, but they’re not awful. And with good planning even in a 10+ crowded park, you’ll still be fine. I’d do DW over the Grand Canyon any day, but that’s just me. Figure out what would make your family the happiest.

Don't believe a lot of the hype you read here, I think much of it is overblown. We are WDW veterans and AP holders. We were there for Thanksgiving this year. Busy, sure. Terrible? Absolutely no way. Learn and use FP, have patience and you will have the time of your life!! Go, enjoy, don't worry.

I feel your pain, OP:)
We always went the first or second week of November, avoiding Tg week like the plague.
One year, we went with family, and it only worked for them Tg week. We stayed until the day before Tg coming the week before.
The crowds were okay until 2 days before Tg, then it was horrible. We all got fed up with it, the heat and constant long lines, crowds. I vowed never again that time of year.
But, we are all different, and for some people, the crowds don't bother them. For us, it was no fun.
So, I guess it's an individual thing. If it is the only time you can go, then you could make it work if you adjust your thinking and expectations down.
If not I would skip that time of year.

The only time there were lines to get into Pandora were the first days it opened. I think you're stressing a lot, because you have a lot invested in the trip emotionally. But I think you'll be fine. Go early morning, leave in the afternoon, head back in the evening. Use your FP in the morning and additional FP along with easy to do attractions in the evening. If you're super stressed about crowds, avoid the parade in MK and the night time shows. Watch the fireworks from your resort!

What are you most concerned with? The crowds? Your budget? I would not let the crowds deter you from going. If you are concerned about the cost, Pop Century is a great resort and would cost much less.

I would LOVE to go the week before Thanksgiving instead! Unfortunately, our school system is completely unforgiving about absences, and with my dd in high school, they'd actually call me into the school for a meeting about her missing a week. Plus she'd have no chance to be exempt from exams. It really sucks that they are so strict about it. It very much limits vacation time. And living in Alabama, it's so hot in the summer, it can even be too hot for the beach!

For example, a 4 hour wait to enter Avatar? No. We went to AK 3 or 4 days over Thanksgiving and never saw anything like that. 4 hour wait for FoP standby, yes, but not just to enter. Heck, we got same day FP for Navi.

Someone actually posted a the "wait time" sign for that week, so I guess it happened at some point ?

I have been to WDW too many times to count, and took my first Thanksgiving week trip in 2016. Took my entire family (3 generations, 10 people). We had a great time. Crowds were high, but we used FastPass and did everything we wanted to do. We went to the MVMCP the Sunday after Thanksgiving, which was tons of fun, and allowed us to ride a bunch of things with much shorter waits. Kids only missed one day of school. If I didn’t have kids in school, I might choose a “slower” time, but I would absolutely go Thanksgiving week again in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
I would keep it as is. Go and have a great time. Expect crowds and you will be fine. I also love the AZ idea. You really can't go wrong either way.

The only time there were lines to get into Pandora were the first days it opened. I think you're stressing a lot, because you have a lot invested in the trip emotionally. But I think you'll be fine. Go early morning, leave in the afternoon, head back in the evening. Use your FP in the morning and additional FP along with easy to do attractions in the evening. If you're super stressed about crowds, avoid the parade in MK and the night time shows. Watch the fireworks from your resort!

I appreciate this response. Yes, this is an emotional investment. I need to get in the frame of mind where "if it gets unbearable, we have a wonderful resort (or any resort for that matter) that we can go explore." That helps a lot! Thank you.

I have been to WDW too many times to count, and took my first Thanksgiving week trip last year. Took my entire family (3 generations, 10 people). We had a great time. Crowds were high, but we used FastPass and did everything we wanted to do. We went to the MVMCP the Sunday after Thanksgiving, which was tons of fun, and allowed us to ride a bunch of things with much shorter waits. Kids only missed one day of school. If I didn’t have kids in school, I might choose a “slower” time, but I would absolutely go Thanksgiving week again in a heartbeat.

Thank you thank you! This makes me feel so much better! Exactly what I hoped to find here on DIS!

Family vacations are about making memories. Even if it’s crowded, it can’t keep you from having those memorable family moments. The trip will be what you make of it.

Someone actually posted a the "wait time" sign for that week, so I guess it happened at some point ?

Was the sign for entering "The World Avatar" (Pandora) or just specifically the waiting line for "Flight of Passage?"

Gosh darn those pesky schools ensuring your daughter gets the best education possible with the limited funding they have.

Hey, I'm a teacher, so I'm not knocking my school system. I just wish they'd take into consideration grades, performance and lack of previous absences and allow for a little flexibility sometimes. Family time is important too.

Was the sign for entering "The World Avatar" (Pandora) or just specifically the waiting line for "Flight of Passage?"

She said this was "to just go in, walk around, eat somewhere." I hope this picture I'm trying to attach will show.

Attachments

• AK.jpeg
    AK.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 222
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter