Considering adding Aulani to DL trip

snowwhite84

DIS Veteran
Hi all! We are headed to Disneyland in October for four nights. We are from NY so it’s a longer flight for us. I’ve always wanted to visit Hawaii, and so we’re thinking of traveling to Aulani for four additional nights after DL. My main hesitation is all of the air travel this would entail with out 5 year old. Anyone done something similar and have any thoughts?

The flight from LA to Hawaii is about the same as from NYC to LA, so if your child can handle one they can handle the other.

The flight from Hawaii back to NYC is overnight, so I would suggest bringing pajamas and trying to get them to sleep on that ride.

Hi all! We are headed to Disneyland in October for four nights. We are from NY so it’s a longer flight for us. I’ve always wanted to visit Hawaii, and so we’re thinking of traveling to Aulani for four additional nights after DL. My main hesitation is all of the air travel this would entail with out 5 year old. Anyone done something similar and have any thoughts?
Separating it out with the 4 days in each place will help with the time change too. You'll still likely be dealing with kids that are up really early in the morning. Coming back will be a tougher adjustment and I would plan at least 1 down day before having the kids go back to school or anything similar.

Lots of people stop off at DL on their way to Hawaii. I would spend one more day in Hawaii and one less at DL. We got an early morning flight and landed in LA early so we spent 2 1/2 days at DL and that was plenty of time. Once you get to Hawaii, you will wish for more time there. Rent a car in Hawaii to be able to go out and about. The child will be fine with the flight.

One question might be how well received the trip to Hawaii is after staying at DL. I’ve wrestled with this question for DW - stay at DW for a week, or try to do 5 days at DW and 3-4 days on a cruise.

Will the trip afterwards be a letdown for a kid who wants to visit the park again, no matter how fun the next stop is?

For a quick trip to Aulani, you might want to stay on West Coast time - wake up early, see the sites, and get in beach time in the morning, and then get to bed early. It’ll make for less of andjustment when you head back, and you won’t fight as many crowds. That is, unless you and your kids are really early risers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter