Considering adding a few days to my trip to Universal - need offsite ideas

PantherPete

Mouseketeer
I'm heading to Universal in November (week of Thanksgiving - staying at the HRH). Thinking of adding on a few days to the beginning of the trip, but don't want to spend the $$ that our usual Disney stay would cost (Yacht Club). The intention here is to go MVMCP at the MK on Thursday night and then spend all day Friday and Saturday at AK and Epcot before moving to the HRH at Universal on Sunday. It will be my wife and 2 sons (14 & 11). We will not have a car as we will fly and then take a car service to the resorts and walk/use shuttles while we are there.

So I'm looking for suggestions. Here is what is important:
  • Proximity to the parks - convenience is my top priority
  • must be nice and clean - I don't want a Motel 6. Has to be at least Hampton quality.
  • must have some sort of dining (for breakfast) available, either continental or full service is ok
  • Shuttle service must be reliable (although we may Uber)
  • Bar onsite would be ok but not required, I'll do my drinking at Universal, but the option of grabbing a beer after a long day in the parks would be nice
Here is what is not important:
  • The pool - we won't have time to use it anyway and we'll swim/relax at Universal
  • Location - other then ease of travel to the parks, I don't care where it is and we probably won't go to Disney Springs so if it isn't close to that, I don't care.
  • Room size - it just has to accommodate the 4 of us 92 queen beds works)
  • Room view - won't be in the room long enough to even open the curtains
  • Theme - run of the mill hotel is fine, don't need characters or special rooms
  • Cost - while I'm trying to manage costs here, I'm not looking for bare bones. $300 or so for a night would be the high side and I'm sure I can find something for that or less
So, offsite experts, what do you suggest?

I'm not sure if an off-site will be able to meet your expectations, especially given the holidays. The only ones that come to mind are the Bonnet Creek resorts, Wyndham Grand and Hilton. They generally get very good reviews.

However, given the shortness of your stay, you might actually benefit by staying on-site at a value (Pop Century) or moderate (Coronado) to take advantage of DME (at least one way), park transportation, and ultimately your number one criteria -Convenience.

Enjoy your trip, sounds like a wonderful time no matter where you stay.

Steve

We've stayed at the Hyatt Place Universal which is right across from the parking garage at Universal and it was very nice. Good free breakfast and a nice bar/lounge area in the evenings. They did have a shuttle to US/IOA but we usually walked as we had three kids and a double stroller. Took us about 15-20 minutes to walk from there. I think we paid about $75 a night a few years ago. Would not hesitate to stay here again.

I might recommend Hilton Bonnet Creek - it is clean. nearer to the Parks, in your price range and has a fairly convenient shuttle for off site hotels. Breakfast is not included and there is a resort fee. I did really enjoy the Bistro for breakfast plus there are other options for dining. It does have a nice resort feel as a bonus.

A less expensive option is the Lake Buena Vista Hampton Inn - it is on the 50 link bus line which is $2 per person on to DTD and Ticket and Transportation Center. It is typical Hampton Inn with included breakfast and a small pool. Probably more convenient with a rental car for this location but doable certainly.

Also what about the Swan or Dolphin - cheaper certainly than the Yacht Club but same great location!

Homewood Suites or Embassy Suites in Lake Buena Vista are two hotels that I would recommend. Both have shuttles to the parks (not sure of the schedules) and offer breakfast. Homewood offers dinner with beer and wine while Embassy offers drinks with snacks in the evening. Both have suites that will give you more space for the four of you.

Would you consider one of the moderate Disney hotels such as POFQ or CSR? Still cheaper than the Yacht Club, you will have facilities around you and access to transportation to the parks. You could also use Magical Express to get from the airport to your hotel, saving on some transport costs for you as well.

I'm heading to Universal in November (week of Thanksgiving - staying at the HRH). Thinking of adding on a few days to the beginning of the trip, but don't want to spend the $$ that our usual Disney stay would cost (Yacht Club). The intention here is to go MVMCP at the MK on Thursday night and then spend all day Friday and Saturday at AK and Epcot before moving to the HRH at Universal on Sunday. It will be my wife and 2 sons (14 & 11). We will not have a car as we will fly and then take a car service to the resorts and walk/use shuttles while we are there.

So I'm looking for suggestions. Here is what is important:
  • Proximity to the parks - convenience is my top priority
  • must be nice and clean - I don't want a Motel 6. Has to be at least Hampton quality.
  • must have some sort of dining (for breakfast) available, either continental or full service is ok
  • Shuttle service must be reliable (although we may Uber)
  • Bar onsite would be ok but not required, I'll do my drinking at Universal, but the option of grabbing a beer after a long day in the parks would be nice
Here is what is not important:
  • The pool - we won't have time to use it anyway and we'll swim/relax at Universal
  • Location - other then ease of travel to the parks, I don't care where it is and we probably won't go to Disney Springs so if it isn't close to that, I don't care.
  • Room size - it just has to accommodate the 4 of us 92 queen beds works)
  • Room view - won't be in the room long enough to even open the curtains
  • Theme - run of the mill hotel is fine, don't need characters or special rooms
  • Cost - while I'm trying to manage costs here, I'm not looking for bare bones. $300 or so for a night would be the high side and I'm sure I can find something for that or less
So, offsite experts, what do you suggest?

Gonna be rough finding a room with 92 Queen beds ....... :D

Without a car my choices would be quite narrow -
- Disney moderate (ME, bus transportation)
- Disney Springs hotels (Shuttle system)
- Hilton Bonnet Creek (Shuttle bus)

Look seriously at Disney Springs ... I think many will check boxes and the bus system is good. Remember that most shuttles will take you to TTC only and you have to transfer to other buses to other parks from there. Look at prices for them via direct website, DisneySprings.com and Mousesavers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter