confused on travel insurance....

Dznypal

DIS Veteran
In Feb I surprised my DH with a trip to Vegas.

He always says hasnt been feeling good but I thought a trip would do him good.

He liked the idea and was very happy. He was with me when I paid the deposit but wanted to take the insurance "just in case hes not feeling good"
in most cases the insurance is a good idea but with DH its just a cop out--if he doesnt feel like going we just dont go.

Last year we were at WDW for our 25th anniversary and he slept most of the time. Not my idea of an anniverary.

In July I had to pay the balance still everything was going pretty good yet something was missing. My b-day is in July and he had said a few months before that we could see Barry Manilow wow I thought this sounds great!!!

On July he got me a kitten for my b-day (shes adorable--all white with lite gold eyes and pink eyes and ears her name is Jasmine!!)

anyway he said how lucky I was since I got a kitten and concert for my b-day

by August I knew the trip wasnt going to happen this happens all the time--

I said I would cancel yet he says we have plenty of time--I told him I didnt want to cancel at the last minute and burn a weeks vacation from work.

Needless to say Tue 9-6 came and we were NOT on the plane!!! I am so mad at him its not funny!!!!

WE got into more fights over this trip. I dont know why I keep wanting to go places cause I know whats going to happen I guess I keep thinking its going to be different this time.

anyways when we took the insurance the AAA agent said there are no hassles even if you cancel at the last minute. When I called to see what we have to do they send you papers and part of it a dr has to fill out.

My Dh has seen the dr due to some dizziness its not all the time and I think most of it is in his head anyway!! (this may sound bad but you'd have to know my DH) is this considered a pre exiting condition and not covered but then if he would have gotten the flu say Sun nite he wouldnt see the dr for the flu but he wouldnt be able to travel.

Sorry this got so long and at times off the main topic of cunfused over the insurance--Im still upset over it--I did this all for him saved so it wasnt going to cost "us" anything and everything got ruined.

The bottom line is does anyone know how the insurance work?

thanks

My guess is no, the insurance won't pay. It has to be a condition, documented by the physician, saying he was too ill to take the trip or the trip in some way would endager others(like a contageous disease.) Simply feeling tired isn't going to cut it with an insurer. If he claims the dizzyness and he'd seen the doctor in probably the previous 180 days(varies by insurer) or required a medication adjustment then it would be preexisting. Some ploicies will cover pre existing, some won't. But, it is the very rare travel policy that covers just a change of mind, which it sounds like this was.

Also, if he knew at the time of final payment being due that he wasn't well enough to fly, but waited until penalities kicked in to tell the insurer, they won't cover the difference in penalities from the time of dx. to the time of cancellation.

Dznypal,
I had ready and responded to your initial post on the community board. I am so sorry things didn't work out. I feel terrible that you didn't get him to go on the trip.

I wish you would have gone without him and would have had a trip report to type and not this.

I wish you luck, I hope you are able to get some of the $$ returned.

I guess the thing that has me confused is that the TA knew that my DH had "medical issues" dizziness and thats why he wanted the insurance and we could even cancel up to and including the day of we questioned this several times that there would be no hassles---Im not even sure if this counts as pre-exiting conditions since my DH made it clear there were issues back in Feb and TA never brought it up.

Thanks vacanut--

yes I remember your post on the community board--there were many that said I should go without him. My mom said she would have loved to go but she just went back to work Sept 1 and couldnt get off with that short of notice.

I guess I really feel bad since he really strung me along. He said he knew I would be mad but to leave it go till the day of.

I made it quite clear how upsset I was at him---now his next thing is he said well maybe if I can get to the bottom of things maybe we can go for our anniversary (which is in Oct)

fine Im staying out of it---he can make the arrangements and then he can be the one to feel bad when Im not jumping up and down for joy that we're going.

I told him I wished I hadn't even thought to plan this trip!!

Man I could never do what my DD BF is doing for her. They were just at WDW in August and hes taking her back on 9-18 and proposing!!!!

The ring and all papers are hiding at our house and my DD doenst know anything about it!!!!!!

Sorry for rambling but Im still upset!!! I just blew a weeks vacation and did nothing special. Which is another sore spot with me!!!!

If you believe DH is fine and just doesn't care for vacations, you should have gone without him. When you get ready to plan the next trip, tell him when and where you are going and ask if he wants to go. Make it VERY clear that if he commits to going, there is no backing out. If he has doubts, he should let you know immediately so you can plan the trip with someone else or alone.

I'm like you. I hate to use vacation days unless they're for something fun.

Sheila

You need to find out if the insurance you purchased has chance of mind coverage?

If not, you will need a medical certificate signed by an MD stating that your DH was sick on the date you cancelled and could not travel

Good Luck

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter