Confused credit card holds

pamkat1820

DIS Veteran
I know that Disney has a new rule about charging to you room and they put a $100 hold on your card. We never charge to our room so that doesn’t affect us.

I have 2 rooms at the pop which are room only stays for one night before we move over for 9 days in 2 rooms at CSR. Do you know if they place a hold on your credit cards for any other reason other than charging purposes (which we don’t do) so I have enough available cash on my card seeing I have 4 rooms. And how long they hold the cash. Trying to plan ahead. We recently stayed at a Marriott which held $600 for 5 days for $125 a night stay for 2 days..... (no credit card on file either just a card on file to pay the balance with on check out.) the charges dropped off to the correct amount but took forever! It tied up funds needed for something else.

Just trying to get all my ducks in a row. Our Pop stay is paid in full already because it’s only 1 night.

I know that Disney has a new rule about charging to you room and they put a $100 hold on your card. We never charge to our room so that doesn’t affect us.

I have 2 rooms at the pop which are room only stays for one night before we move over for 9 days in 2 rooms at CSR. Do you know if they place a hold on your credit cards for any other reason other than charging purposes (which we don’t do) so I have enough available cash on my card seeing I have 4 rooms. And how long they hold the cash. Trying to plan ahead. We recently stayed at a Marriott which held $600 for 5 days for $125 a night stay for 2 days..... (no credit card on file either just a card on file to pay the balance with on check out.) the charges dropped off to the correct amount but took forever! It tied up funds needed for something else.

Just trying to get all my ducks in a row. Our Pop stay is paid in full already because it’s only 1 night.

If you have a Credit Card linked to your MDE account, you will get $200 in holds at Pop then another $200 when you check in at CSR. How long they stay completely depends on your bank.

Disney doesn’t have any control over how long it takes for the hold to drop off. That is determined by the bank that issues your credit card. If you are using the same card you used in the Marriott example you gave, then it should take the same amount of time for Disney’s holds to drop off.

Disney won't require you to put a credit card on your account (like other hotels do) and if you don't put one on it, then they won't do any hold at all.
You can't complete online check-in and you can't use a MB for room charging (which you said you don't plan to do so this shouldn't be an issue anyway) so this seems like the best solution for you.
No credit card, no holds.

This topic comes up frequently on a cruising board.

Putting a hold is not unusual on a cruise ship or even at on-shore hotels. The actual amounts vary, but the release of the hold is up to the banks in question. Some can only take a day or two, but some last for 3-7 days.

When you check into a hotel that wants to place a hold on a credit card/debit card for incidental purchases , they should tell you this upon check-in. If you don't want to go this route, I would inquire about putting down a cash deposit payment. Upon checkout, you can request a refund of the cash payment.

If you don't want to go this route, I would inquire about putting down a cash deposit payment. Upon checkout, you can request a refund of the cash payment.

This is a good suggestion in general, but not allowed at WDW resorts.

They do allow you to put cash on your magic band and then if you have a balance at the end of your trip, they give you the difference back. I was just there in January and my friend who went with me did this. I've been 4 times in 3 1/2yrs and someone in my party always does this.

They do allow you to put cash on your magic band and then if you have a balance at the end of your trip, they give you the difference back. I was just there in January and my friend who went with me did this. I've been 4 times in 3 1/2yrs and someone in my party always does this.

Then you and your friends have been very lucky, because there are tons of people here on the DIS that have been unable to. Myself included as I have tried every trip for the past 9 years. There are some rogue CMs that will do it, but they are not supposed to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!