CONFIRMED Senators/Congressman - Complimentary Kennedy Space Center Tickets

From NY

Although Clinton is listed AND MY Senator....NOT EVEN A RESPONSE...can it be she and the staff are too busy garnering votes??

Either way, no luck here! See McNulty listed, but do not see his district, though I know he is not in mine...

I'm assuming you requested tickets to KSC and not the White House?? I guess his staff is only thinking about one thing right now!!

Most likely! :rotfl: I did mention I was looking for Kennedy Space Center when I sent my cell phone number...we'll see what happens!

Just in case people don't/can't click on the previous link, this is what it says:

Congressional aides are hooking up tourists from their hometowns with free tickets to the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex.

And from the discussion threads on one website devoted to Disney lovers, they're passing them out like candy.
Disboards.com, identifying itself as the "Largest and friendliest Disney community" has at least two separate threads discussing how to get tickets from their U.S. Representatives and Senators, with feedback on their various success and failure.

One Missouri resident credits his congressman, Republican Rep. Roy Blunt, with getting their family tickets. Another thanks Sen. Gordon Smith of Oregon while another name checks Rep. Fred Upton of Michigan.

An aide for Blunt said that the Congressman’s tour directors call the government affairs liaison at Kennedy Space Center whenever a constituent asks for free tickets, which cost $38 for adults and $28 for kids from 3-11 and includes IMAX space movies, all exhibits and shows for two days.

Those postings prompted various reactions from kudos to "How could you"? As in: How could you waste your congressman’s time and take money away from NASA?

One poster pointed out that the congressional aides are doing all the footwork. And another tourist said they pay taxes to finance NASA so why shouldn't they get a freebie?

Those tickets aren't supposed to be passed out to any tourist who wants them, said Allard Beutel, a spokesman for NASA. They’re supposed to be given to members of Congress, visiting dignitaries, aides and other VIPs that NASA would like to get a better working knowledge of what goes on at Cape Canaveral.

"To be perfectly blunt, you are trying to make sure that whoever getting that info is someone who’s voting on your programs," he said.

Under the terms of its contract with Delaware North, which runs the visitor complex, NASA gets 2,500 complimentary tickets a year to hand out at its discretion, Beutel said. It's been written into their contract since April 2000, when the center started charging admission, he said.

NASA monitors the distribution of tickets to make sure there are enough to go around for a full year, he said. But once NASA gives the tickets away, Beutel said, the space agency has no control over how they’re used.

I saw that "news" item last week and was most impressed by the comments under it. Seems the opinion then was that the DIS posters all wanted something for nothing - especially us budget boarders.

I almost spewed diet coke all over my monitor when I read it, thinking about the extra $$ I've spent since lurking around here after reading about target & disney store sales, victoria's secret code stacking, Bath & Body Works, gymbo, BABW, ect.

Something for nothing??? Not Hardly! It may be called the budget board but this can sure be a mighty expensive place to hang out... :lmao:

I contacted Eric Cantor from Va, about getting tickets to KSC, but after a week received an email stating that there were no more tickets left, so I sent a copy of the posts in this thread and haven't heard anything else. but the funny thing was that saturday, I received in the mail a request from Eric Cantor that "he needs my help". Seems he's coming up for re-election and has 5 people running against him. Think I'll send him a email stating that my assistance has been used up for the year and I won't be giving anymore out.:dance3:

I contacted Eric Cantor from Va, about getting tickets to KSC, but after a week received an email stating that there were no more tickets left, so I sent a copy of the posts in this thread and haven't heard anything else. but the funny thing was that saturday, I received in the mail a request from Eric Cantor that "he needs my help". Seems he's coming up for re-election and has 5 people running against him. Think I'll send him a email stating that my assistance has been used up for the year and I won't be giving anymore out.:dance3:

I like that!!! :thumbsup2

Sen. Elizabeth Dole does this in N.C., we tried, but the Sept lift off was already booked.

Here's the reply I got today from Senator Clintons NY office: Mentions the DIS!!!

"Unfortunately NASA has already consumed its annual allocation of complimentary tickets for the Kennedy Space Center this year, so tickets through this office will not be a possibility. I apologize for the inconvenience. Every year NASA offers 500 complimentary passes which congressional offices are able to request for their constituents. This is the first year tickets have ever run out due to a Disney blog which widely publicized this information. Effective January 1, 2009 NASA will offer 4 passes per request rather than the usual 10 they have offered in the past. Regular priced tickets may be purchased online at http://kennedyspacecenter.stores.yahoo.net/ "

THis is what I got back from Congressman Joe Barton's office here in Arlington, Texas

We have received your letter concerning tickets to the Kennedy Center in Florida. Unfortunately, our office was unable to find any information related to free tickets for this venue. The only possible tickets we could attempt to acquire would be tickets to watch a space shuttle launch in Florida.
I would be happy to put in the necessary requests with the NASA government relations desk, though I cannot guarantee these tickets.
I hope this information was helpful. Please let me know if I can find any more information for you or begin the process of applying for these tickets.
Thank you, and have a beautiful week.

I'm going to try again next year when I need the tickets and maybe some more tickets will be available.

THis is what I got back from Congressman Joe Barton's office here in Arlington, Texas

We have received your letter concerning tickets to the Kennedy Center in Florida. Unfortunately, our office was unable to find any information related to free tickets for this venue. The only possible tickets we could attempt to acquire would be tickets to watch a space shuttle launch in Florida.
I would be happy to put in the necessary requests with the NASA government relations desk, though I cannot guarantee these tickets.
I hope this information was helpful. Please let me know if I can find any more information for you or begin the process of applying for these tickets.
Thank you, and have a beautiful week.

I'm going to try again next year when I need the tickets and maybe some more tickets will be available.

Sounds like you need to point them to one of these other reps offices (http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=25256571&postcount=3) to find out the info.

WOW - I didnt even realize there were three threads on the subject - I thought it was only two...

Anyway - below is the response I got (sadly) from Hilary Clintons office...

Unfortunately NASA has already consumed its annual allocation of complimentary tickets for the Kennedy Space Center this year, so tickets through this office will not be a possibility. I apologize for the inconvenience. Every year NASA offers 500 complimentary passes which congressional offices are able to request for their constituents. This is the first year tickets have ever run out due to a Disney blog which widely publicized this information. Effective January 1, 2009 NASA will offer 4 passes per request rather than the usual 10 they have offered in the past. Regular priced tickets may be purchased online at http://kennedyspacecenter.stores.yahoo.net/

Please do not hesitate to contact Senator Clinton’s office with any further questions you might have at the number listed below.

WOW - I didnt even realize there were three threads on the subject - I thought it was only two...

I started this one to try to consolidate the confirmed congressional offices that had given out tickets since my Rep had never heard of it right before the story came out in the FL paper. Bad timing on my part since I doubt it really helped anyone after that article!!

Read my story in post one - http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=25256550&postcount=1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter