• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Confirmed "new kids menu" sightings

jennwdw

Mouseketeer
Ok I've combed a couple threads re: the new kids menu and I found the following where folks have stated they experienced the new kids menu. I'll list them here and if anyone else runs across others please share ASAP. I'm probably more worried about this than necessary but I was comfortable my kids would be happy w/the choices I made now I'm not so sure. My 6 yr old will happily share w/the adults (he usually does and just supplements with his kid meal just not the choices I'm seeing currently) but my 4 1/2 yr old really is going to have major issues. I could piece it together (a stretch but workable) but not if I can't sub foods around. I hate to pay for DDP and then have to feed my 4 1/2 yr old OOP because of any inflexibility (and really would one "unhealthy chx nugget and fry option" hurt anyone.)

Anyway enough of my gripes I just want to create a list of where I can expect to see the changes. Here's where I found reported so far.

Liberty Tree Tavern - MK
Tony's - MK
50's PT - MGM
Sci Fi - MGM
Mama Melrose - MGM

If you have personal experience at other restaurant please post the name here. (I'm personnally interested in Le Cellier, Alferedo's, Flying Fish, Spoodles and Kona)

It's CS, not TS, but at Pecos Bill's today, a woman in front of me was more than a little upset that the menu had changed in the past day or two. They had a cold grilled chicken platter and something else, no hot dog, chicken nuggets or mac-n-cheese. The CM at the register said thay had just changed it. Cold chicken? With no salad under it? Um, ok. :sad2:

I can confirm that Kona has NOT changed to the new kids' menu. We just got back from a ten day trip last night and encountered this healthier menu at Sci Fi and LTT, but not at our other dinners at Kona, Cptn Jack's, 'Ohana, Coral Reef, HDDR, and B&C.

BTW, on the new menu the three healthy options were the same at both Sci Fi and LTT, but the a la carte selections were a bit different. At LTT they had the children's feast (turkey dinner) which was not available at Sci Fi. I can't recall what Sci Fi's a la carte offering was in addition to the mac n cheese, though. I think I'm trying to forget that meal! Sci Fi was horrible, horrible, horrible from the food (except for the BLT soup) to the service. Yes, we complained to the manager and she made things right by us but we've all agreed Sci Fi will not be given another chance by our family.

Oh, and at LTT which we just ate at yesterday, I was able to get a grilled cheese prepared for my picky dd even though it wasn't on the menu. The waitress was really kind about working with us on finding something dd would eat.

I was on allearsnet and saw the the menu listed. Now I can see eating healthy and having the options there but I am sorry it's a vacation. Am I understanding it that if you are on DDP and having kids 9 & under at the TS restaurants those are the choices and only those choices? :confused3 Does that mean kids cannot order hotdogs or chicken strips? If that is the case then I am glad we have already taken our trip. Next year when planning I'll make sure to use all my TS at buffets where there are no restrictions and hopefully won't be.

Spoodles had a large kid's menu. Flatbread fruit or something else for appy. They had choices of steak, grilled chicken, macn cheese for dinner. I never saw he new kid's menu anywhere we ate,.

Definately confirming that SciFi has the new menu. My kids really looked forward to it, but it was their worst meal. I mistakenly thought they would be getting chicken nuggets which they both like, but unfortunately it was chicken strips. They were supposedly grilled, but very tough and dried out and burnt in some places. They came with baby carrots and green beans (pretty much all that my kids ate) and some kind of sweet potato sticks which were not very good. The yogurt/berry/granola dessert was not much of a dessert to them and they barely touched it. I ended up eating it and got the kids ice cream treats with snack credits later. Don't waste your time at SciFi if your kids don't like the new kid's menu. Unfortunately, I knew nothing about it before we went on Oct 1, otherwise I would probably have cancelled my ADR and just eaten at PP.

I don't know specifically about the other restaurants mentioned above as we did not eat at any of them.

Our kids loved:

Spoodles (excellent choices and very good food, with a make your own sundae which was their favorite dessert of the entire trip served on an artist's pallette).

Ohana ( they were offered Chicken Nuggets, Grilled Cheese, Hot dog or Mac n Cheese with fries, and they were given little ice cream cups with MM sprinkles for dessert, leaving DH and myself to enjoy the wonderful bread pudding).

Le Cellier ( nice selection and good food and wonderful desserts).

WCC ( children did not get any appetizer but they got their entree and milkshakes as their drink. They could have gotten dessert too but were too full from the milkshakes).

Princess Storybook Dinner (Epcot)

and of course, CP, CM breakfasts

DiszyDeanette said:
It's CS, not TS, but at Pecos Bill's today, a woman in front of me was more than a little upset that the menu had changed in the past day or two. They had a cold grilled chicken platter and something else, no hot dog, chicken nuggets or mac-n-cheese. The CM at the register said thay had just changed it. Cold chicken? With no salad under it? Um, ok. :sad2:
Was that the "chilled chicken" with cheese cubes that they also have at Columbia Harbor House? It's not quite as bad as it sounds, but my kids didn't want to eat it.

DiszyDeanette said:

Cold Chicken...Mmmmmm! :scared: (much sarcasm intended)

I hardly think this "new" menu is going to stick around. No one seems to be gung-ho about it (at least around here)

But I will say - having an 11 & 15 y/o "adults" - I am THRILLED they didnt pull this menu when they were "children". It would have been a serious no-go. :sad2:

DJmommy said:
Definately confirming that SciFi has the new menu. My kids really looked forward to it, but it was their worst meal. I mistakenly thought they would be getting chicken nuggets which they both like, but unfortunately it was chicken strips. They were supposedly grilled, but very tough and dried out and burnt in some places. They came with baby carrots and green beans (pretty much all that my kids ate) and some kind of sweet potato sticks which were not very good. The yogurt/berry/granola dessert was not much of a dessert to them and they barely touched it. I ended up eating it and got the kids ice cream treats with snack credits later. Don't waste your time at SciFi if your kids don't like the new kid's menu.
Thank you for sharing!

I have found that several local chains offer a grilled chicken choice but it's usually pretty bad. Overcooked, dried out, no taste or too spicy. Just not good! I hope Disney has better quality control, because my kids like almost any kind of chicken except the burnt and chewy kind.

kids.jpg

Thanks everyone for posting about this. I was unaware of any changes and might have to re-think some things for our trip!

Just ate at Le Cellier friday, NEVER would do it again, but that is a personal opinion. Anyways, kids menu had steak, hot dog, cheeseburger, chicken strips (I think), maybe it was nuggets and about 3 or 4 other things. It was NOT the new menu that we encountered at LTT. Appetizer was house salad, which I thought would be normal, WRONG, tossed in some disgusting dressing. Cheese soup was the other choice, dessert was chocolate mousse or smores something or other. I asked for a scoop of ice cream for my son, only thing he ate, minus the pears and cheerios I took in.

The hot dog was horrendous, overcooked, dried out and burnt, second horrible hot dog that week. He didn't even eat the fries. Not sure why, came with cantelope, although not mentioned on the menu. He was sick of steak by the end of the week.

Honestly, he hardly touched a kids meal all week long. He usually eats off my plate at restaurants and that would have been best. We had free dining so I ordered him one here and there but they all looked gross.

At LTT I asked for the apples with the turkey without cinnamon, she wasn't sure, so I said just give me the pizza. We did get apples with no cinnamon, but not the veggie salad or whatever it was supposed to be. I didn't make an issue of it since I figured she was confused as to what I wanted. Didn't do appetizer or dessert there.

Thanks CathrynRose for posting the menu! It helps to see the photos... it won't help make it any easier to hear DS complaining though :confused3

I can confirm that Le Cellier, Teppanyaki, Jiko, Artist's Point, Kona, Flying Fish, Beaches & Cream still have old menus. Chef Mickey's still had pizza, mac&cheese, chicken strips and peas for their kids offerings.

Stay away from Sci-Fi's pizza kids meal as the pizza was really small (the size of a teacup saucer) - definitely not the way the picture portraited it. Mama Melrose's pizza was a good size one, covering the entire plate. At Mama Melrose, the apples they served didn't come with the brown sugar topping, while at Sci-Fi it did come with the topping.

Sci-Fi's chicken was tough, dry, and overcooked. My son hated it. It was his worst meal. They were so disappointed that they couldn't get the chicken nuggets anymore.

CathrynRose, thank you, thank you, thank you for posting a picture of the actual menu that everyone is discussing. I for one was having a really tough time understanding what was going on and this has helped to clarify it for me.

We will be down in just under 4 weeks for NJ Week. We're staying on points and I had added the dining plan (we were just there for free dining in September and had a wonderful experience). We have used the DDP for several trips and basically have had no problems.

That said, we are dining at 'Ohana, Chef Mickey (no problems at these), Spoodles (previous posters have said that their kid menu has not changed), Coral Reef, LeCellier and WCC. It would appear that these new menus have not been introduced into any of these restaurants (at least at this time).

Frankly, I can tell you with certainty that my 8.5 yo will not eat veggies and dip, grilled chicken strips or chicken pita pizza (especially with those sides/desserts). His favorite place is Coral Reef, as he can order the lobster bisque as an appie, have the mac w/ cheese sauce for entree and some sort of sundae for dessert. He enjoys steak, which we've ordered at Concourse.

I'm hoping that people travelling the next few weeks can give us updates on the EPCOT restaurants to determine if those are going to be changed over as well. If so, unless the select an item grouping improves, I am seriously thinking of either dropping the plan altogether and using my DDE for the TS meals (and spending the money for CS meals OOP) or upping his age to 10 so he can order from the adult menus.

I understand the desire of many to have healthier options available. Unfortunately, those options are not "options" for my child. He does not eat any veggies, wouldn't eat a salad of any kind, doesn't generally select yogurt and probably wouldn't touch the apple slices. He eats what most might call unhealthy, but he's a kid. I simply will not make meals a battle between me trying to force him to eat greens or fruits or other healthy things and him refusing to eat. I have heard stories from friends whose parents put food in front of them, told them to eat it and refused to give them something else if they didn't like it. I really believe that builds terrible food issues over time.

While my decisions might not be right either, it's the way I work. And we did a great job of minimizing the junk this trip, offering him steak and pasta at several places, keeping the desserts to a minimum (we almost never took one at lunch, opting for either grapes or nothing if needed), and allowing him to try some not average kids foods (MM had a kids chicken parm that he enjoyed).

I'm hoping that more people will be able to bring home menus that show the "a la carte" choices, since it would appear that the fixed selections are going to be the same at all restaurants.

janets, there really isn't any differences in the ala carte items either. The 2 places we saw this menu (Sci-Fi and Mama Melrose's) the ala carte items were the same - chicken noodle soup and veggie salad, hamburger/mac & cheese (although MM had pasta & marinara sauce for their ala carte) and the same desserts.

My kids are exactly like yours. While my 8 year old is ok with some of the items, he won't eat veggies like beans and carrots. We had to sub all the veggies for just apples. I can see that it'll get very boring very fast.

Can anyone confirm whether or not you can get fried chicken/meatloaf at 50's Prime Time for the kids even though it is not listed on the menu - I thought I read it here somewhere that you could, but not sure if it was just during the change over to appease unexpecting diners. Glad to hear about the turkey dinner at LTT - that's one meal taken care of for dd. What are the al a carte items at Sci Fi? We are at the mercy of the al a carte items - I showed DD8 the new menu and she was disappointed - may end up paying OOP for a few meals for her.

akalittleeva said:
I showed DD8 the new menu and she was disappointed - may end up paying OOP for a few meals for her.
I can't help but believe that this is exactly what Disney is hoping will happen. Unfortunately, it's all about the bottom line and less about the Magic.

Sorry, I can't help with your questions. I'm also wondering what the a la carte items are at Sci-Fi.

We ate at Sci Fi this past week. It was our one OOP meal. My DD8 ate off the adult menu the rest of the week(we upgraded her). She looked at the new kids menu at SCI FI and gave a loud YUCK! It doesn't offer many options and doesn't give much freedom even with ala carte offerings. It is the full meal or nothing. She skipped the appetizer and dessert-nothing appealed to her. She ordered a milk shake, which did not count as a dessert or drink on the kids meal.

BUT....don't be afraid to ask for other options. She asked our server if they would be able to make her a grilled cheese sandwich and he gave a thumbs up. She loved it! Other restuarants have substituted as well and no TS has ever refused to make a grilled cheese sandwich, even when it is no where on the menu. CS is another story. My DDs have always hated the kids menu choices at CS. They always order an adult meal and share with someone.

I was at Kona's yesterday and they took the Kiddie cone off the kids menu and put it on the adult menu. The family next to us was on the DDP and asked for the kiddie cone for their kids and was told NO. The kids had a choice of jello or a brownie sundae. There were a lot of menu changes we noticed last week and we were told they are all due to the DDP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter