Confirmed- Lights Cars Action Closing

phorsenuf said:
Just did. I think some apologies may be in oder for the OP. ;)

Why? No confirmation or any reason to believe the original claim of pink slips. The OP sugested closing of lights was imminent. It might happen. Doesn't make the OP right

~I don't know, but this "official" and "confirmed" thing has gone overboard. :crazy: And, I noticed that no other forum here does this. This board used to be fun and rampant with discussion and speculation, now it's buckling under this structured rigidity that has no place in cordial discussion, it's become incredibly juvenile and pedantic. It's like we're in grade school or something, even that's an insult to the grade schools. A poster was kind enough to post a source, and now we're questioning the source. I think the news is awesome, even if it doesn't materialize. Come on guys, lighten up. :goodvibes

No other forum on here allows rumors, or tries to combine it with news.

Also, as has been mentioned before, when this forum was moved up into the Planning Forums, it received a LOT more traffic. In it's old place, it was the same stalwarts that typically inhabited it, and it policed itself better. Now a lot of those people are gone, and there has been a HUGE increase in the number of "This is NEWS because I got it from a CM..." type posts - many of which lately haven't been true.

Don't forget, even the DIS said that they had it on very reliable sources that CarsLand was taking over LMA and the Backlot, and the announcement was coming that week - and it didn't. And the rumors cooled for a while too.

I'd also point out that the OP said LMA was closing to become Star Wars Land, but the article says it is Cars Land, and Star Wars will take areas to either side of Star Tours (possibly yet to be determined). This shows how the rumors twist and get mixed up.

I'm starting to think we really need a sticky thread here to warn posters...anything coming from general cast members, bus drivers, etc. are treated as rumors until confirmed by statements or press releases from the executives, and posts should not state they are confirmed unless backed by those sources.

And even then, confirmation is not a guarantee it will happen or soon, as history has shown us...

One thought I had...if Kalogridis does get the money for this...I wonder what happens to Avatarland? Does it still go forward? Get scaled back? Hmm...since Disney hasn't actually given much details, they could scale back without too much backlash...

One thought I had...if Kalogridis does get the money for this...I wonder what happens to Avatarland? Does it still go forward? Get scaled back? Hmm...since Disney hasn't actually given much details, they could scale back without too much backlash...

I've been on record as being one of the ones that loves that idea of Pandora at the parks, I think it will be freaking amazing, but if Disney only approves 2 of the "rumored" projects, the first one I would cut would be Avatar.

Carsland is proving to be a major success right now, and we all know that Star Wars will stand the test of time and is as much as a sure thing as movie franchises come. Star Wars would be one of the best things that has happened at WDW in a long long time.

I've been on record as being one of the ones that loves that idea of Pandora at the parks, I think it will be freaking amazing, but if Disney only approves 2 of the "rumored" projects, the first one I would cut would be Avatar.

Carsland is proving to be a major success right now, and we all know that Star Wars will stand the test of time and is as much as a sure thing as movie franchises come. Star Wars would be one of the best things that has happened at WDW in a long long time.

IMO, out of the three projects, only Star Wars Land would actually be competition for Harry Potter - whish we know is still lingering in the back of Disney execs' minds.

Never saw Avatar so I'm not qualified to say whether that's a good idea or not. I have two boys who LOVE Cars...and are waiting anxiously for Planes. They would LOVE Carsland but I do wonder how much they will put in DHS since they put a lot of Cars elements in AoA. Even with our penchant for Cars, Star Wars will be the BIG event.

Note: I read elsewhere that the immediate proposal is add the Cantina as a restaurant and some more theming elements. Hope Disney has a lot more planned than that!

We've only seen it twice, both times were the middle of the summer and both times it was a little over half full.

I enjoyed it the first time, but not as much the second, I chalk it up as a one time thing. I can see why people like it, but I wouldn't mind it being replaced with something else.

I can see that being a one & done attraction, but then again I could see that with most of DHS :rotfl:

I do think some folks have made interesting points about Avatar. Though a really great visual film, it doesn't have a cult-like following the way Star Wars does. It too is a one & done for most people. So, will be interesting to see the response.

Note: I read elsewhere that the immediate proposal is add the Cantina as a restaurant and some more theming elements. Hope Disney has a lot more planned than that!

The cantina has been rumored for a bit as a new counter service. But they don't need a new counter service in that area, with both the Backlot Express and Studio Catering Company. If Star Wars Land goes to the north of ST, it would take Backlot Express, so the Cantina is more likely. If it goes the opposite, I think it would depend on what happens to SCC, which would be smack between the two new areas. It could become part of Star Wars, but it would be at the extreme end and is really part of the backlot area of the park, or they could put it in between somewhere, but that's just bringing another CS closer to SCC...unless SCC gets absorbed as part of the Pixar Place area.

Interesting that they thing the Shrunk playground would become Star Wars...I think the wall there would be better to keep it as part of the Pixar expansion. They could even retheme it for near $0 by calling it the A Bug's Life playground. :)

I know I would love Star Wars land, my kids would love Star Wars land. If other people will "skip the park" then that just makes room for the more people who would want to see more Star Wars.

Disney doesn't do many things wrong. If somebody doesn't want to see a Star Wars land or an Avatar land thent hey should move on and allow other people to enjoy. I'm not a huge Avatar fan but I'm sure it will be a lot of fun and might even change my outlook on the film after see what Disney can do with it.

Bottom line is regardless of what they do Disney will put the most effort into it and make it enjoyable for everybody in my home.

I wish I could "like" this. ;0)

While I'm not saying it is "confirmed", you don't necessarily need a press release to know if changes are coming and what those changes might be. Case in point, there were many rumors and "confirmations" that Universal was building a second phase of HPW at Universal Studios looooong before their recent "press release" and even before they broke ground on construction. As a matter of fact, rumors (substantiated with pretty good facts/evidence) started about the second phase of HPW in late 2011.

And your point is taken...many rumors do come true...
But just as many do not.

I'm harsh...but the fundamental reason is to temper expectations...and that's usually house money when talking about Disney in Orlando.

They don't just spend billion upon billion building things down there to "put smiles on faces"
Just a cautionary approach.

Most of the original rumors about HPW2 for Universal were sourced from cast members so while it isn't always the best source for reliable information it doesn't mean that just because it came from a CM means it is mumbo jumbo.

That is NOT how Disney runs their ship. Key difference.

Avatar has hijacked the thread a little I don't want to run with it...

BUT I think we're spinning our wheels on whether the "buzz" is good or bad at this point.

What I will venture is that no development In Disney park history has ever had a skepticism level as this one has...either pre-Internet or post Internet era.
It's my opinion...but I can't recall anybody being this skeptical... Even Hyperion bay which had no concept or flamingo crossing, which was rolled out as walmart and a TGI Fridays.

There's probably alot of smoke here... But there's some fire too.

Was in Disneyland in April and was talking to a few CM who said they heard rumblings of CarsLand opening there.. To me this would be great... I think the whole area in CarsLand is fantastic...

Let me amend what I said...

In my observance, of those expressing an opinion over the announcement and concept of Avatarland at Animal Kingdom, a majority appear to dislike the idea. And I'm not talking about just on the DIS either, but on various other boards, etc. And as you say, that still might be a small fraction of the population as a whole - but that entire population is not visible.

How many people like Avatar itself, or Disney as a corporation, on Facebook isn't directly relevant to the discussion. I actually know some fans of Avatar who themselves are very cautious about the sequels.

Avatar could be awesome. I'm not saying it won't be. I'm personally kind of on the fence regarding the concept. I just don't know if it is a great property to base a major section of a park on, especially when Disney has it's own properties that they seems to be afraid to base stuff on despite their success.
~Good post. But, overall I believe it's a minority. A very vocal but vulnerable and fickle minority, one that will think nothing of changing their mind at the drop of a hat. I believe if Disney builds this, "they" will come. Plus, there are two more movies in the works. And, these are HUGE productions -- Cameron will be filming the sequels at 60 FPS. Currently, most theaters don't even have the equipment and tech required to show the film. Cameron has even assembled a group to help accommodate theaters in acquiring the equipment needed to show the film properly. In contrast, Peter Jackson's Hobbit was filmed in 48 FPS and most of the theaters did not have the right projectors to show the film in that format! Soarin' is also filmed in 48 FPS. I expect there to be a lot of hype and press surrounding these films, and this will result in more interest for Avatarland.

~Also, it's a two way street. If the people who like Avatar opinions are not "relevant" then the same rule applies to the people who don't like Avatar, their opinions are not relevant either.

~With that said, I do appreciate your neutral stance on the issue. I think you will love the concept, once the plans are finally revealed.

No other forum on here allows rumors, or tries to combine it with news.

Also, as has been mentioned before, when this forum was moved up into the Planning Forums, it received a LOT more traffic. In it's old place, it was the same stalwarts that typically inhabited it, and it policed itself better. Now a lot of those people are gone, and there has been a HUGE increase in the number of "This is NEWS because I got it from a CM..." type posts - many of which lately haven't been true.

Don't forget, even the DIS said that they had it on very reliable sources that CarsLand was taking over LMA and the Backlot, and the announcement was coming that week - and it didn't. And the rumors cooled for a while too.

I'd also point out that the OP said LMA was closing to become Star Wars Land, but the article says it is Cars Land, and Star Wars will take areas to either side of Star Tours (possibly yet to be determined). This shows how the rumors twist and get mixed up.

I'm starting to think we really need a sticky thread here to warn posters...anything coming from general cast members, bus drivers, etc. are treated as rumors until confirmed by statements or press releases from the executives, and posts should not state they are confirmed unless backed by those sources.

And even then, confirmation is not a guarantee it will happen or soon, as history has shown us...

~Exactly! :goodvibes Nothing is really guaranteed -- we've already witnessed how Disney abandoned projects in the past. I just don't understand the need to get worked up over the word "official" or "confirmed".

~It's perfectly fine to chime in that it's not "official" or that you don't believe it -- I do this all the time. But, the anger expressed behind this is a little extreme. This kind of reaction blindsides and tends to vilify an otherwise innocent poster who just wanted to share some exciting news. The posters who've done this are never "regular" posters here. They really don't know.

~See this is my point. We don't know if Star Wars land will be an automatic "success." Are the lines wrapped around the corner for Star Tours??? I think not. I've been going to Disney for a long time and I have never seen a line for Star Tours -- not ever. And, it's one of my favorite rides @ DHS. There are so many other variables to take into consideration, mainly the budget and the quality of the attractions. Just because it's "Star Wars" doesn't lead me to assume it will be an instant hit with the masses.

~I feel the same way about the The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. I am convinced that if Disney got a hold of this IP, we would have something like a Star Tours ride, flying around on broomsticks and a giftshop, that's it. Universal raised the bar here. And, James Cameron has his eye on the prize, look at how he's taking in the environment & contemplating his next move -- he wants his world to be just as immersive, if not more. :wizard:
Gv6G8h0w2zyUErfXeOaRDDl72eJkfbmt4t8yenImKBVaiQDB_Rd1H6kmuBWtceBJ

~Here is Cameron at Carsland, you can see he means business. He's taking into account all of the resources Disney will provide for him to facilitate the dream & vision he has for his IP.

James-Cameron-Cars-Land-Disneyland.jpg

After this visit, Disney secured one the most prolific and sought after rock sculptors in the world to work on the Avatarland project.

~I can't wait to see what Cameron and the Imagineers come up with. :cool1:

Avatar has hijacked the thread a little I don't want to run with it...

BUT I think we're spinning our wheels on whether the "buzz" is good or bad at this point.

What I will venture is that no development In Disney park history has ever had a skepticism level as this one has...either pre-Internet or post Internet era.
It's my opinion...but I can't recall anybody being this skeptical... Even Hyperion bay which had no concept or flamingo crossing, which was rolled out as walmart and a TGI Fridays.

There's probably alot of smoke here... But there's some fire too.
~I see your point. But by the same token, the same people who express disdain about Avatarland relished over the New Fantasyland concept -- only to end up underwhelmed. And, from what I've gathered the bathrooms create more buzz than the entire expansion. No one here expressed excitement about Carsland but it outshines Fantasyland in every way. So let's just wait and see. I think you will be pleased with how Disney adapts and interprets Avatar for AK. :wizard:

~From the other thread...

I don't think they are trying to mislead anyone either. I heard similar info from a trusted source before either of these threads were started so I believe it to be true.

Also, I see your point (I think it was in the other thread) about people seeming like trolls about the whole "official" thing. However, look at it from the other side. Why do people keep posting "official" and "confirmed" when they know the reaction it will get if it isn't from an official source?

~See, this is presumptuous and unfair to the OP(s). Honestly, this is the first time I have ever seen these posters on this board and we may have already chased them away. I just can't assume the poster "knows" what the reaction will be.

~With that said, I see nothing wrong with pointing out that something is not official or disagreeing with the "official rumor." So, I believe we agree for the most part. I do disagree with the notion that the posters are intentionally "trolling." I haven't seen an example of that and I don't think you have either.

~This is just my thoughts and unrelated to the above posts. But, I am noticing a disturbing trend around here, where people cannot act autonomously or discuss anything on Rumors without providing "sources." Then the discussion dissolves into questioning the credibility of the source. Where's the fun in that??? :rotfl:

~This kind of rhetoric sort of demonstrates a social awkwardness where individualism is confined and normal discussion is restricted from commencing autonomously. The individual(s) cannot think or articulate thought independent of a "confirmed" or "official" source and finds exception with the person, in many cases resulting in a personal attack. The individual finds comfort in discussions that only consists of "verbal exchanges" that are very structured, controlled and guarded versus a "conversation" that flows freely, creating a platform where a person is likely to lessen their guard, making them more susceptible to the possibility of ridicule regarding their personal feelings, which then leads to humiliation(???). The reasoning behind this maybe "If I say something -- anything, people will laugh at me and think I'm stupid -- but if I have the source, they can't attack me." So, "the source" essentially acts like a shield that protects the poster from feeling any "shame" or "humiliation."

~I don't expect any of this to make sense (lol). I'm just rambling out loud in attempts to grasp some understanding as to why this "official" thing gets out of hand and garners this negative backlash, imo. I've been here on Rumors for a while and this is a very recent phenomenon and a very juvenile one, imo.

~Just to clarify, it's perfectly fine to call out info that's not official and disagree with any rumors. I just find it odd to take personal offense with the posters. :flower3:

I will never understand why people get so heated with the words official and confirmed because even when things are confirmed they do not always pan out. I enjoy the rumors board because it gets everyone's creative juices going and you can read so many sides to every rumor and idea. No need to flip out each and every time someone says the wrong word.

I will never understand why people get so heated with the words official and confirmed because even when things are confirmed they do not always pan out. I enjoy the rumors board because it gets everyone's creative juices going and you can read so many sides to every rumor and idea. No need to flip out each and every time someone says the wrong word.

agree
its not a big deal and afterall it is a rumor board no reason to get all bent out of shape it is theme parks afterall

twebber55 said:
agree
its not a big deal and afterall it is a rumor board no reason to get all bent out of shape it is theme parks afterall

Agree as well. Like MissPrincess said, even something confirmed by Disney has turned out not to come to life.

agree

It's a rumors and news board. The problem is being to tell one from the other.

It's a rumors and news board. The problem is being to tell one from the other.

I think people can easily tell the difference between the confirmation given by a few CM's and the confirmation given by an official Disney press conference. It is all symantics.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter