• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Completely overwhelmed....

Blackunicorn

<font color=teal>Her mouth runneth over!<br><font
We're going on a Disney Cruise in 2006, and after reading around these threads a little bit, I'm completely overwhelmed. I can't even read the abbreviations--is it safe to assume that AP doesn't stand for Annual Pass?

Where do I even start looking for information? I'm so dumb, I don't even know what information I'm looking for.

Here is the abbreviation list...that might help you get started!!!

Honestly, if you have specific questions, fire away....you will soon learn the terms and understand what we are all talking about.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/abbreviations.htm

Did you book a 3, 4 or 7 day cruise.....start with that and let us know!!! If you booked a 3 or 4 day cruise you will be on the Disney Wonder and if you booked a 7 day cruise you will be on the Disney Magic.

Well, I just really looked over the abbreviation list I posted and saw that many of terms relating to the cruise are not listed....let's see if I can help.

AP - Animator's Palate - dining rooms on both the Magic and Wonder
PC - Parrot Cay - another dining room onboard
T - Triton's - yet another dining room onboard Wonder
L - Lumiere's - - dining room onboard the Magic
CC - Castaway Cay - disney's private island in the bahamas

There are a ton more!!!

MJ

Well, we were going to book a 4-night cruise, but worries about seasickness stopped us. (We're in a landlocked state, with NO natural lakes near us, and our ocean experience is limited to a glass-bottomed boat tour about five years ago.) Now we're considering a 3-night cruise, but I heard about a pirate party on the Wonder, and we might change our plans if we can't have that with our current plan. About the only thing we know for sure right now is that we WILL be taking a cruise. :)

BTW, thank you for the abbreviations list--though, like you said, a lot of the cruise abbreviations aren't on there. Maybe they should have different lists for different boards, LOL! :D

There will be a pirate night starting on the 3 day cruises in mid-March.

But, I would suggest the 4 day....3 days is really very short. As far as seasickness....these ships are much different than your glass bottom boat, obvioulsy and handle the waves much better.

You will feel some movement onboard, no doubt but you normall do not get tossed around at all.

MJ

What type of info you can you think you need? there is a search function to help out. Key words will be pulled up. Check out the threads for Roll Calls to meet others on your ship with you. KTTW is the Key to the World card. Your life blood on the ship. There are secret decks to find, hidden mickeys aboard. You will have a great time.

I have an abbreviation question. I looked all around for it, but at some time between when I was last on this board regularly (about three years ago) and now, the abbreviation "TF" has emerged. And I can't figure out what that is.

Help?

TF most likely stands for Tag Fairy. If you see little colored words under someone's screen name (like under mine), the tag fairy put them there. They're gifts. You can't ask for them, they just appear!

The last time I posted about tag fairies, I was telling the OP (original poster) that I had tried to bribe the tag fairy with chocolate for a tag. Then within a few hours, my tag appeared.

That's so cool. I had no idea. So all those little sayings under someones name are put there by the ..... Tag Fairy?

Jenn

jdm said:
That's so cool. I had no idea. So all those little sayings under someones name are put there by the ..... Tag Fairy?

Jenn

Not all of them. Only the ones in color. They dream in color, we can only dream in black and white....

Just the ones that are in color.

That is correct someday you may just find some thing cute u have said under your screename.. or something u wish you had not said..

Blackunicorn I sent you a Private message..

dont worry be happy you to will get the hang of it..

More quick abbreviations:
DH - Husband (the "D" can stand for Dis, Darling, Danged, Dam, Dumb, etc :teeth:
DW - Wife
DS - Son
DD - Daughter
SIL - Sister In Law or Son In Law - gotta look at the context again
yo - Years Old (as in 11yo which is the equivalent of DD(11) or DD11)

KTTW: Key To The World card. Same as staying at a WDW (Walt Disney World) resort - you room key. On the ship it's also how to pay for purchases while onboard or on CC (Castaway Cay)

LOL: Laugh Out Loud
ROLF: Rolling On the Floor Laughing :rotfl:

Now about your cruise. 3 days is really short and goes by quickly. I understand the sea sickness possibilities (I take dramimine EVERY day while at DL (Disneyland) or WDW. Knowing this, I start taking dramamine the day before leaving on a cruise (if not at a park - if at a park then the meds are a given). Well usually after a few days I forget to take the meds and have never had a problem on a ship (small boats for snorkeling excursions - yes::yess:: ).

Since this will be your first cruise try to do a 4 nighter. Day one you leave PC (in this case PC means Port Canaveral - context again:) ) at 5pm and dock the next morning at Nassau. You leave Nassau very late in the evening and the next morning you dock at Castaway Cay. You leave around 5pm and the next day is a day at sea. The captain is always just looking for good weather and seas to sail the ship in so you can have a glorious day in the sun. And you are in the relativly sheltered waters of the Bahamas.

I absolutely agree with everyone who says a 3 day is just too short. We did a land/sea in 2002; so our cruise was the 3 day portion. Seems as though you just get unpacked for the cruise, and it is time to get off. In addition, your last full day on the cruise is your Castaway Cay (CC) day...so after a relaxing, great day on a beautiful, fun island-you have to rush back to the ship, get ready for dinner and show (or vice versa depending on your dinner seating-there are two, 6 and 8:30), pack and have all your luggage outside your door by 11 PM. Whew!

So, the advantage of the four day is that your last full day is at sea. You get a whole day to explore and enjoy the ship and do all the other things listed above. Besides, you have a little more time to get used to having to leave the ship the next morning. Leaving a Disney cruise is traumatic! LOL...

Be sure to ask your questions as they come up. The people on this board are a wonderful source of information and you will be able to get varying opinions, good and bad. Good luck and happy planning!
Susie princess:

P.S. In your post you mention concerns about possible motion sickness. I have had motion issues my whole life (cannot ride in the back seat of a car, etc) Two cruises now, and have not taken anything and was fine. We did take Bonine (OTC medication at any drugstore) with us, but it wasn't used!

GTY = guaranteed catagory

You'll see this when some books a GTY catagory 6 (for example). No room number is assigned at first - you get notified later. You are guaranteed at least a catagory 6...

Okay, thanks guys! I told my hubby dub that we needed to take a 4-day cruise, and he's skeptical, but I've read him the posts. :)

I'll just start firing away at my questions as they occur to me!

Bumping is just to get something back up to the first page of postings so you can keep track of it easier!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter