• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Complaint about Calling Member Services

antree

DIS Veteran
So the question I have is this, do I have the right to be mad? I have called Member Service many times now, I am on the wait list for some days in November and I started out waiting for 9 days now I need 6 and I was able to get those 3 days because I asked them to check inventory. When they checked inventory one day would come up and I would book it, so I got 3 days from 3 different phone calls to them over time. So I just called a little while ago and asked once again to check inventory. Now here is where I got pissed. The guy on the other end would not check, he said since I was on the wait list if the days come up it will be applied to the wait list. He goes on to say that is why you are on the wait list. I told him I have received days by member services checking inventory, he said it can't be done and that when the days are available they would be applied. So I told him to forget it and hung up.
Now this is the 2nd time this happened to me. It was about 2 weeks ago I called and I spoke with a woman and she refused to check saying the system won't let her look in to it since I was on a wait list. I told her the same thing, No, I have received rooms this way, she stood by what she was saying and would not check, So I told her to forget it. I called back about 10 mins. later and spoke with a different woman and was able to pick up 1 night by her checking inventory.

Is member services a loud to check if you ask them to? Do you think it is against some rule, if we are on a wait list they can't check inventory?
I think the two member service people I spoke with was rude and wrong to refuse to check for me. Do I have a right to complain to someone? Or are they doing their job right? Anybody ever experience anything like this?

Thanks, Maria

I do not knew if there are any stated rules ???
I would guess it is all the way the system TRULY works...
Here is my undrestanding..
If you go on a waitlist the computer checks for matches at certain designated time or times throughout the day. If this is true than you could be taking a room from somone ahead of you by them checking for you. On the other hand if somone calls up not on the waitlist and requests that room they will get beating all on the waitlist... as you are/were doing.
I do not if anyone knows exactly how it works maybe you can start a thread asking for CM's to answer (yes this is meant to be sarcastic some may understand) :lmao:

I wish they would find a consistent way to handle this. We, too, are on a waitlist for Nov 22nd. We've been on the waitlist for MONTHS (since early April, I think). Now, you are telling me, that you called asked them to check inventory, and they find you a room. We were actually on the waitlist for two rooms, I called to check on it and one was there. So now I'm wondering, was it because there was "inventory" or was it the actual waitlist? No offense, but it is disheartening to me that people may be getting bumped ahead of us. I'm glad you got your rooms, :) but for those of us standing in line I'm kind of bummed...:confused: I guess I'll have to start calling and ask to have inventory checked....

The waitlist system seems to have holes to me. I know I call about a week in August a while back and they told me they have BCV 1 bedroom for the whole week. I did not book it, but I saw someone post 3 weeks later that their waitlist came thru for the exact same time and they were definitely on the waitlist when I called and could have booked that room.

Now on the MS rudeness. I got someone today that was not very nice. I understand that it is may be annoying for them to have to explain the waitlist rules over and over, but I know the rules so I don't need to be told like I am putting them out to be put on the waitlist. They had 2 of the 3 days available at WVL and she seemed annoying that wanted to just waitlist the whole time. I don't want to move once on a 3 day trip. Then she told me it cancelled 30 days out...well since I was looking for Sept 2-5 it is already past that time. She said she guesses she can do it the other way so it holds out until 7 days before.

I don't understand. If it's Autowaitlist it should be just that. It should be automatic.

I've had this happen to me too with MS not wanting to check dates because I am on the waitlist.

The way the waitlist is now, It is not even worth using unless you have nothing and just want anything.

Especially with the autolisting. Serious downgrade and some MS reps are not very magical. I have my favorites that I really enjoy dealing with.:love:

The way I see it, is until they get some way to check availability online, they need to check availability at the members request regardless of waitlist status. It is very difficult to plan when you have to explain your every move every time you call MS.

The system is so flexible, and there are so many ways to waitlist in terms of dayxday, unit size, all at once, etc that your waitlist may not even cover the new scenario you are looking into as you try to solidify your vacation plans.

With due respect, I am glad to hear that MS is turning people down to look up inventory when they are on the wait list. That is the way that it SHOULD BE. The problem is when an exception is made and a member gets a room via calling when another member is on the wait list ahead of them for the very same room. Yes, they should make sure that the wait list works better, but the first step is to close one part of the loophole by simply refusing to look up room status when you are on the wait list. The second step that must be taken is that the rooms when freed up should not be available to be booked until the wait list is run. They MUST close that loophole. It is simply not fair to members on the wait list to have that loophole, IMO. So, no I don't think you have a reason to complain about the denial of them looking up the inventory.

With due respect, I am glad to hear that MS is turning people down to look up inventory when they are on the wait list. That is the way that it SHOULD BE. The problem is when an exception is made and a member gets a room via calling when another member is on the wait list ahead of them for the very same room. Yes, they should make sure that the wait list works better, but the first step is to close one part of the loophole by simply refusing to look up room status when you are on the wait list. The second step that must be taken is that the rooms when freed up should not be available to be booked until the wait list is run. They MUST close that loophole. It is simply not fair to members on the wait list to have that loophole, IMO. So, no I don't think you have a reason to complain about the denial of them looking up the inventory.
Boy, I sure agree especially with the second point. When a particular room type is on the waitlist and it becomes available, it should automatically trip something in the programming so it stays in limbo to be matched up with the waitlist. I'm on the waitlist along with a bunch of other people. It annoys me that people are calling in and "getting" days or weeks that should have gone to the waitlist. I'm glad to see them take the first step (but it should be done with good manners) and I hope they will work out the programming so that no one gets these rooms ahead of the first person on the waitlist. Just think of the way this will free up the toll-free lines at MS if people are not calling all the time to check when they are already on the waitlist.

If you are not happy about the wait list be sure to contact MS and let them know. I have a friend in management with DVC and they said that while the unofficially read these forums they never take action based on anything they read and are really suprised to read about things members would like changed but they never hear from the members.

You have to contact them personally and individually before they will listen.

[SNIP]So the question I have is this, do I have the right to be mad? [/QUOTE]
With all due respect, The people who have a right to be mad are the ones who were waitlisted for the days that you picked up by calling member services. I was waitlisted for 6 days in November right at the seven month mark for each day. While I did receive four of those days, I am still waiting for two more and I called at 9:00 AM back in April as soon as I was allowed to. If the waitlist worked properly I bet I would have had those other two days I'm patiently waiting for.

Ditto!

I do agree that the rooms should be applied to the waitlist first but in my opinion if I call and there is a room available and I book it I don't believe I took it from someone on the waitlist. If I don't book it someone who is calling to make ressie will get it so either way the waitlist didn't get it. Believe me I am bothered that the waitlist is getting it too. Why wasn't it applied to the waitlist? Why did it go to inventory? It should go right to waitlist and not even be seen in inventory.

But I have been told by Member Services that I can call and check anytime to see if there is any rooms in inventory.
I didn't mean to get anyone upset. Sorry.

But I have been told by Member Services that I can call and check anytime to see if there is any rooms in inventory.
I didn't mean to get anyone upset. Sorry.

When the "new" automatic waitlist system was announced, I specifically asked MS (via e-mail) if phone calls would still be allowed to check on the waitlist status. They told me members could still call if they preferred that to waiting for the automatic notification.

Now I think allowing phone calls in order to circumvent the auto waitlist is not an especially wise idea on the part of MS, but that's an issue with DVC and not with the people who call. Until an official "no-call" policy is announced, you have nothing to apologize for. It does seem like there is some confusion at MS concerning this issue though. Hopefully they will all get on the same page soon.

When the "new" automatic waitlist system was announced, I specifically asked MS (via e-mail) if phone calls would still be allowed to check on the waitlist status. They told me members could still call if they preferred that to waiting for the automatic notification.

Now I think allowing phone calls in order to circumvent the auto waitlist is not an especially wise idea on the part of MS, but that's an issue with DVC and not with the people who call. Until an official "no-call" policy is announced, you have nothing to apologize for. It does seem like there is some confusion at MS concerning this issue though. Hopefully they will all get on the same page soon.

I agree that there is nothing to apologize for, but there is also no reason to be upset or to complain when you are denied the ability to exploit a loophole to jump to the front of the line.

I am not happy with the new waitlist at all...You read about people getting nights by calling , several times I called...and was told couldn't check..what's up with this...

waitlisted for BWV or BCV 8/18-8/22...dd 18th Bdy...

I totally agree with this. But they need to be consistent about it and not be telling some people that they can check and others they can't.

I totally agree with this. But they need to be consistent about it and not be telling some people that they can check and others they can't.

Now I book at my home resort and call at 7 months to see what I can switch into. A couple of CM's have basically told me within seconds of my request, "Nothing is available anywhere" like it is too much trouble for them to check and others that check and are very helpful. If I get a surly CM and I thank them, hang up and call back later.

I thought with the new rules with the autowaitlist that this was the reason why, but I see the OP and others had their waitlist in before the rule change, so perhaps they were "grandfathered" in.

I think the OP has every right to be upset. The OP is getting different stories from different CM's at MS. Are the MS reps just ignorant of the waitlist policies? Is there even a policy in place? Are some of the MS reps being less than truthful and just plain lazy when the OP calls? I mean, this is kind of ridiculous that nobody seems to know how the heck the waitlist is to be implemented.

Look, everyone responding to this thread realizes that this "loophole" does exist and could make daily calls themselves rather than relying on the autowait system. (Why this is even referred to as a "loophole" is beyond me since Disney seems to have no actual policy in place - just a general idea of how the waitlist should be utilized) Until the system is "fixed", I would call daily for reservations that are very important to me.

I think the OP has every right to be upset. The OP is getting different stories from different CM's at MS. Are the MS reps just ignorant of the waitlist policies? Is there even a policy in place? Are some of the MS reps being less than truthful and just plain lazy when the OP calls? I mean, this is kind of ridiculous that nobody seems to know how the heck the waitlist is to be implemented.

Look, everyone responding to this thread realizes that this "loophole" does exist and could make daily calls themselves rather than relying on the autowait system. (Why this is even referred to as a "loophole" is beyond me since Disney seems to have no actual policy in place - just a general idea of how the waitlist should be utilized) Until the system is "fixed", I would call daily for reservations that are very important to me.

Completely agree:thumbsup2 The OP should be able to check availability. Things are constantly changing and there are just too many variables to not give someone the option to explore their options. If you waitlist for all 3 days to book, 2 days could come thru and you would not get it because it is not all 3. It's the way you waitlist that will be the biggest determinant of being successful. The new system does not allow for multiple configurations of the waitlist choices. If x then z, If y then x. You get 1 shot because it is automatic. Better for MS not for the members.

All this says is dont use the waitlist, call every day and check. Just like ADR's that do not utilize a waitlist system. And no one is calling that a loophole.:confused3

I dont like the new waitlist system either and will not use it unless I need a complete week to come thru somewhere or dont go.

Other than that, I will not use it and will use my options to book at 11 months, take my chances calling and checking for availability, and using cash (Discounts) as a back-up plan to fill gaps. We wont be using the DDP so that wont affect our switching from points to cash and back.

Also all waitlists drop off at 7 days. So another option to call.

I think DVC is trying to close the wait list loophole by only training new CMs on how DVC would LIKE them to handle wait-list situations and not on all the different ways it COULD be handled.

I have a feeling that new CMs wouldn't even know how to do certain things if it wasn't exactly by the book without someone more experienced walking them though step by step.

Many more experienced CMs could and probably do process requests that are more beneficial to the DVC member because they are more familar with the computer system and how it actually works.

More experienced CMs will probably continue to handle things the way they have always done before unless it becomes strictly prohibited and punishable. And some new CMs will eventually learn some of the unofficial "ropes." While other new CMs will always do everything exactly by the "books" and find many DVCers an annoying and demanding lot. Lol.

I totally agree with this. If you are on the wait list then you should get the next room that becomes available, not someone who just happens to call in, they should go on the wait list BEHIND you and everyone else already there if they chose to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter