Compare "Unofficial Guide" and Tour Guide Mike

MamaK

Earning My Ears
For those who've used Tour Guide Mike and/or the Unofficial Guide, do they give similar tips for itineraries or are they varied enough to invest in both?

I am a mom of three. My husband and I are bringing our 2 daughters (ages 3 and 4) to WDW in August. Any tips are appreciated. We're staying in the Poly.

- MamaK
adamskr@musc.edu

I have both and they are different. Course I am the type that went to the library and got all those guidebooks too! :wizard: Anyway, I like the specificity in Tour Guide Mike. UG is more general, but TGM has specific recommendations for which days to go to which park and different plans depending on your situation . . . They aren't completely customized for you, but there are more of them than UG.

I am spending thousands on my vacation, so I could rationalize spending the cost of TGM. :teeth:

I am like firkat! I subscribed to TGM in January for our July trip and currently have (from the library) the UG. I like both, but am using TGM for touring the parks. I like that the advice is more updated in TGM plus he give you the reasoning behind his suggestions (which always makes sense to me)!

We used TGM for our past two trips and absolutely LOVED the info!!! It was just so helpful and saved us soooo much time. We also loved the best days for each park feature that was updated for our month and took into consideration all the special events going on, etc.

I really enjoy the UG but ever since we based our first family trip on their book (never went to their website for updates) and a week that was predicted to have low crowds had high spring break crowds (due to late-April Passover and NE schools late spring break) I've been a little turned off. Fortunately, we also used TGM that trip and saw/rode everything we wanted despite the huge crowds.

I definitely prefer TGM. I think TGM taught me how to most efficiently tour the parks regardless of the rides/shows my family wanted to see rather than just list commando touring plans.

We have used both and we prefer TGM. What I like best is that he gives the reasons behind his recomondations. Because of that, it is easier to modify your tour plan if something disrupts it. I was also able to easily modify his plans slightly to better fit our family (range of kids ages then from 2 to 10). I could not have done this with the UG plans.

Like others, I prefer TGM.

Both have their place and will give you information, but TGM is more complete.

Also, I really find the Unofficial Guide to be unnecessarily cynical at times. I like sarcasm and wit as much as the next gal, but they really overdo it sometimes. I also find them to be a bit too harsh on their restaurant reviews.

TGM, on the other hand, strikes a nice balance; he stays very positive and enthusiastic in tone, but is not afraid to point out problems or concerns as the need arises.

HTH,

Disneyfriend

TGM gives you lots of information -- and can be a bit bewildering at times. You end up being in a postion to make your own touring decisions.

UG seems (to me) to be a bit more dogmatic; you follow the UG route if you buy into their theories.

Both, frankly, get you going in the right direction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter