Compare other cruise line Concierge to Disney

LuvtoPlan

Earning My Ears
Has anyone done Concierge on other lines that they would recommend with a family? We just love Disney Fantasy but considering something different.

I have never sailed concierge on other lines, but one of these days I swear I'm going to splurge! From researching, it seems concierge prices on other lines like NCL and RCCL are considerably less and offer far more perks/amenities.

For example:

March 4th, 2018 7-night Western Caribbean cruise on the NCL Getaway. 3 people in a Haven courtyard penthouse w/ Balcony & King size bed (386 sq ft incl. balcony). Total is $6,670 US (that includes free specialty dining, free drink package, $50 excursion credit per port, and 250 internet minutes). The Haven concierge level also gets you exclusive access to The Haven Private Restaurant, Sundeck, Courtyard, & Lounge, concierge service, and a 24-hour certified butler.

March 3rd, 2018 7-night Western Caribbean (with Star Wars day) on Disney Fantasy. 3 people in Concierge family stateroom w/ Balcony & queen size bed (306 sq ft incl. balcony). Total is $11,001 US. That includes exclusive access to the Concierge lounge, Sundeck and concierge service.

So it's up to those who book to decide if it's worth the extra $4000+ to have access to the Disney characters and shows, and for some that is the most important part! I think no matter which line you sail, if you are in concierge, you will be spoiled!

We cruised Princess last year to Alaska and had a suite. Almost 600 sq. ft. Priority boarding. Private breakfast restaurant. Free first-night specialty restaurant meal. No-charge minibar in room on first day. Free same-day laundry services. Complementary DVD library (which we never used). Really nice robes (even nicer than the awesome DCL robes). There was not really any "concierge" to speak of, though. Nobody to take care of all of our desires, though you do have a separate line at Guest Services and they do offer priority excursion booking.

The price was $5000 less than a family stateroom with verandah, and we got to go to Glacier Bay. That differential has gotten even farther apart these days. Looking at current prices for Alaska in May, 2018, Disney is $13k for a 300 sq. ft., port or starboard-side verandah room. Princess is $5800 for a 500 sq. ft. aft facing verandah with the benefits I spoke about previously, and they've even added a few other benefits since then, such as freestyle dining with priority seating that has little to no wait.

Granted, Alaska is a bit of an anomaly because Disney is really, really proud of themselves when it comes to that itinerary, but this should show how big the disparity can be. Kids on our cruise seemed to be having a great time. I also have friends whose kids will only cruise RCCL because they love all the activities. RCCL's Concierge services look like they are spectacular. We're probably jumping ship next Christmas to the Oasis of the Seas, into a 1-br suite, for significantly less than the same cruise on Disney. Just need to finalize with our cruisemates this Saturday.

We did concierge last thanksgiving on RCCL, no complaints. Concierge helped to get activities that were difficult to get etc, the bartenders were great. I would say it was a little "more worth it" on RCCL than DCL only due to the additional activities on RCCL, like private FloRider lessons, cupcake decorating etc. The lounge was less utilized on RCCL as well so I used that as my quiet reading/coffee haven as well. The reserved pool seating was nice on our ship as well.

@phinz a little OT, but which boat/itinerary (#days) did you do for Alaska. DH and I are planning it for our 30th in 2020 and we were really thinking of going with Princess. I know they are the #1 for Alaska and his parents went with them doing the train/boat option. I am really excited to go. We were going to do it for my big 50 this year but couldn't really do it the way we want and opted to do a FLRR western this year and will save up for a couple more years so we can really do it right. Any advise, input would be appreciated.

Back to the OP, DH and I have thought about concierge on DCL, but can honestly not think of anything they offer that makes it worth twice the price. I would much rather take 2 cruises than one on concierge. We also looked at the prices on RC and they were much more reasonable. Maybe someday if we hit the lottery we'll give it a try.

@phinz a little OT, but which boat/itinerary (#days) did you do for Alaska. DH and I are planning it for our 30th in 2020 and we were really thinking of going with Princess.

We were on Crown Princess. We went for our 25th. It was Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan, Victoria, out of Seattle. We had a fantastic, low key time. Perfect for a quarter century of marriage.

Has anyone done Concierge on other lines that they would recommend with a family? We just love Disney Fantasy but considering something different.

We have another concierge DCL 1BR on Dream this year. Just 2 of us so comparing rates results in less of a gap differential than when sailing with kids. When other lines offer "kids for free" the difference is compounded. A 1BR Dream with 2 baths compared to our RCCL-Oasis Loft with 2 baths is half as much more for next year's same booking time frame. BIG plus for us in addition to lower price on RCCL is private dining restaurant perk.

I have thought about concierge on DCL, but can honestly not think of anything they offer that makes it worth twice the price.
Agreed. I can see myself sailing concierge on another line that offers more for the price, but not on DCL. We can only sail on school holidays and pay more than enough for those cruises, as it is. The concierge perks they offer seem pretty meager for the prices they currently charge.

We did a cruise in a one bedroom suite in the Haven on Norwegian Breakaway a couple of years ago during spring break for about the same price as a balcony stateroom that same week on the Fantasy. Best cruise we've ever had! We loved the space, the service, the ship and all the special touches. We really do love Disney but at the current prices, especially during school breaks, our money just goes a lot further on other lines.

One thing to know about NCL's Haven, which is the only concierge equivalent I have experience with, is that it varies a LOT by the ship. Not the level of service so much as the spaces and the amenities. Every ship has suites but they don't all have the same private spaces, pools, lounges, etc.

And if you really want to go all-out, look into their Garden Villa.

One thing to know about NCL's Haven, which is the only concierge equivalent I have experience with, is that it varies a LOT by the ship. Not the level of service so much as the spaces and the amenities. Every ship has suites but they don't all have the same private spaces, pools, lounges, etc.

And if you really want to go all-out, look into their Garden Villa.

So true. The Haven on the newer ships (the epic, the Aways, Escape and soon to be Bliss) are larger and offer more exclusive amenities than the Jewel class ships that offer the original "Courtyard" concept with out the private restaurant, bar and lounge (even thought a restaurant is designated a concierge only for Breakfast and Lunch).

The 3 bedroom Garden Villas on the Dawn, Star and Jewel class ships are awesome. We sailed in one of the Jade's 2 GVs for Spring Break in 2015. The perks and service were fantastic and truly there is no need to leave the Villa for anything unless you want to, even includes a limo to the airport at the end of the cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter