Comment on my estimated travel times!!

lovevacations

Mouseketeer
San Diego (downtownish) to Anaheim- Monday late morning-around 90 minutes, but I'm sure we will stop at a beach along the way. What would be a good place?

DLR to Universal Studios- about 45 minutes (late evening on a Thursday)

Universal to Pismo Beach- about 3 hours on a Saturday, but we plan to stop for lunch in Solvang.

Pismo to Monterey- this may get covered in another thread. We will drive to Hearst Castle, then drive north to see Elephant seals and back track back to hwy 101. About an hour PB to castle, about 3 to Monterey with the back track?????

Monterey to San Fran- may get covered in another thread too, but about 2 hours. We may end up leaving the aquarium around 2:00 and arrive to Fisherman's Wharf area around 4:00?? Not sure about traffic. This would be a Thursday.

Thanks for any help!!!!!!!

I would allot more time from Monterey to SF. It does depend a lot on the traffic and when you are travelling, so I would give it three hours just to be safe.

I'm no help, but I'm following your threads. We're doing almost the exact same trip in a different order! Every thread you post, I want the info too! I notice you're not going for a full year. I'm going in two weeks and should be able to give you lots of info.

Here's what our trip looks like:

Day 1 - 2 visit relatives in Oregon
3 - Eureka area - Redwoods
4-5 - San Francisco
6 - Monterey
7 - drive down 101, Hearst castle, sea lions, etc. stay overnight in Solvang
8 - drive through Santa Barbara etc. to San Diego
9-10 - San Diego
11 - drive to Anaheim, beach for several hours (probably hunninton or newport)
12,13,14 DL/CA
15 Universal
16 Sacramento
17, 18, 19 another visit in Oregon on the way home

Great minds think alike!! We were planning on starting in San Fran but we had to change our dates and I want to be in DLR on a T, W, and Th. Can't wait to hear about your trip!!

DLR to Universal Studios- about 45 minutes (late evening on a Thursday)
That's 35 miles of freeway driving and, though technically the speed limit is 65MPH, it is highly unlikely you will be able to maintain that speed over that distance. These are very heavily traveled freeways, even at night. Decreased nighttime visibility should also serve to slow things down a bit. I think an hour would be a much more reasonable estimate.

You should also know that, in summer, the Hollywood Bowl holds nightly concerts -- and you will have to pass right by it to get to Universal. If you get to that stretch of the 101 around the time the Bowl lets out (generally 10:30-11:00 ish), don't be surprised to find yourself in MAJOR traffic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter