Combining Southwest Airlines gift cards?

lorijohnhill

DIS Veteran
Does anyone know if there is a way to combine small dollar amount cards into one larger amount card for Southwest?

Nope. But I believe you can use up to four gift cards per purchase. How many cards do you have?

Not that I know of. One trick I read was to purchase a cheap flight using some of the gift cards, then cancel that flight and get the credit. Then use the credit and three additional gift cards, etc.

The other trick (which is what we did) is to break your flights up. Either book one way trips for everyone or book smaller groups, etc to get your price down.

Not that I know of. One trick I read was to purchase a cheap flight using some of the gift cards, then cancel that flight and get the credit. Then use the credit and three additional gift cards, etc.

The other trick (which is what we did) is to break your flights up. Either book one way trips for everyone or book smaller groups, etc to get your price down.

These are really the only two ways (that I know of) to do it.

I have never done the first one, but a coworker has, and hasn't had any problems doing it. Book a random flight a week or so before you need to buy tickets, cancel later that day, and a credit it put onto her account in the next few days.

My wife and I have done the second one. Each booked one way tickets for ourselves so we could use more gift cards.

I just tried using 2 gift cards about a week ago. it would only let me use one...how do I get around this so I can use more than one in a transaction?

I just tried using 2 gift cards about a week ago. it would only let me use one...how do I get around this so I can use more than one in a transaction?
Did you happen to have other forms of payment that you were also using?
https://www.southwest.com/html/air/products/gift-card-terms-and-conditions.html

Up to four Southwest gift cards can be applied toward one reservation. Our payment system limits the total form of payments, so if the balance of the itinerary is more than the amount of all four gift cards, you will only be able to use three of your gift cards so that the balance can be paid with another form of payment that will cover the balance of the reservation (i.e. credit card). The following is our policy in regards to forms of payment: Southwest Airlines accepts up to two unused Ticketless Travel tickets per Passenger (always applied first) and up to four of the following in any combination: Southwest gift cards, Southwest LUV vouchers, Ticketless Travel funds (left over funds not previously used), and one credit card.

Did you happen to have other forms of payment that you were also using?
https://www.southwest.com/html/air/products/gift-card-terms-and-conditions.html

Up to four Southwest gift cards can be applied toward one reservation. Our payment system limits the total form of payments, so if the balance of the itinerary is more than the amount of all four gift cards, you will only be able to use three of your gift cards so that the balance can be paid with another form of payment that will cover the balance of the reservation (i.e. credit card). The following is our policy in regards to forms of payment: Southwest Airlines accepts up to two unused Ticketless Travel tickets per Passenger (always applied first) and up to four of the following in any combination: Southwest gift cards, Southwest LUV vouchers, Ticketless Travel funds (left over funds not previously used), and one credit card.

I booked on points and paying the taxes with gift card. the taxes were 120 for round trip since I am flying out of the country. I had 2 $50 cards and it said I could only use 1. So I broke up and did 2 one way trips

I don't suppose you can use gift cards toward a ticket you have already purchased? I don't fly much and it would not have occurred to me to try to have gift cards available before I booked a flight for this July....

I just did this the other day where I needed to book 4 one way tickets so that I could use the gift cards. Was highly annoying. However, today I saw that these tickets had decreased in price so changed the flight plan to the lower cost. But does this mean we need to fly out by a few days ago or need to book by a few days ago next year to get keep the credit?

I just did this the other day where I needed to book 4 one way tickets so that I could use the gift cards. Was highly annoying. However, today I saw that these tickets had decreased in price so changed the flight plan to the lower cost. But does this mean we need to fly out by a few days ago or need to book by a few days ago next year to get keep the credit?

To use your credit you will have to use it with in a year of original purchase date

I booked tickets past weekend and I was able to use 4 gc no problem.

Did you just keep punching in the numbers in that gift card box? The second one I put in it said in red it could not be used? Maybe there was a glitch last week?

Did you just keep punching in the numbers in that gift card box? The second one I put in it said in red it could not be used? Maybe there was a glitch last week?

Yes I just adding the numbers, when all the 4 gc were used a message pop up saying I can't input any more payment methods but out airfare was covered.

Yes I just adding the numbers, when all the 4 gc were used a message pop up saying I can't input any more payment methods but out airfare was covered.

I hope it was just a glitch because I plan to get more gift cards for my Oct trip

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter