Combining points with two contracts

Daisybell911

Paging Mr. Morrow!
Hi guys! I’m close to giving in to the -itis and buying a second contract. I’m trying to understand combining points and need help. I hope I phrase this correctly because I’m confused. :)

I have 200 points at CC with a use year of June. I’m hoping to buy into BLT and get 200 more points. Assuming I can find a BLT contract with a June use year and points, how does combining points work to get a larger room?

Example: I want to book a week at BLT in May 2020 for 300 points. I’m booking at the 11 months mark and my points were just “filled” for the year. I obviously don’t have 300 points available. How do I book that room?

-can I use all 400 points that became available on June 1 from the BLT and CC contracts since they both have the same use year? Or is that not possible until I am at the 7 month mark and the CC points are available to use at any resort?

-Do I use all 200 points from BLT 2019 and borrow 100 points from 2020? If that is the case, when I hit the 7 month mark can I use the CC points and put the 100 BTL points back in 2020? Would the points go back to 2020 or to 2019?

I hope that makes sense. Cause I’m confused as all get out! Lol

-can I use all 400 points that became available on June 1 from the BLT and CC contracts since they both have the same use year? Or is that not possible until I am at the 7 month mark and the CC points are available to use at any resort?

Only at the 7 month mark. You cannot combine at 11 months because they are two different resorts. Points ALWAYS retain their home resort.

-Do I use all 200 points from BLT 2019 and borrow 100 points from 2020? If that is the case, when I hit the 7 month mark can I use the CC points and put the 100 BTL points back in 2020? Would the points go back to 2020 or to 2019?

You would have to borrow 100 points from 2020. You could only use the CC points IF the nights were available at 7 months. You cannot use the BLT points in home resort then swap in any points at 7 months unless any owner could book the unit at that time from available inventory.

Banking and borrowing are final transactions. The 100 borrowed 2020 points would stay in 2019.

Hi guys! I’m close to giving in to the -itis and buying a second contract. I’m trying to understand combining points and need help. I hope I phrase this correctly because I’m confused. :)

I have 200 points at CC with a use year of June. I’m hoping to buy into BLT and get 200 more points. Assuming I can find a BLT contract with a June use year and points, how does combining points work to get a larger room?

Example: I want to book a week at BLT in May 2020 for 300 points. I’m booking at the 11 months mark and my points were just “filled” for the year. I obviously don’t have 300 points available. How do I book that room?

I hope that makes sense. Cause I’m confused as all get out! Lol

No, you cannot do that.
Each contract - at a different DVC resort - retains its own 11 month booking window.
So you can only use 200 points of whichever contract you want to use for the 11 month booking window. So if you want to book at BLT and it costs 300 points, you can only use 200 points to book how many ever nights you can with those 200 points and then at 7 months (from check in date) book using 100 of the CC points.

You can only switch out the points if there is availability at the 7-month window.

Got it! I totally understand. Thanks! I guess, with there being so much emphasis on having the same use year, I thought there would be more of an advantage than just knowing when your points hit and managing them.

Got it! I totally understand. Thanks! I guess, with there being so much emphasis on having the same use year, I thought there would be more of an advantage than just knowing when your points hit and managing them.

Far easier to use them together at 7 months on same UY as well.

If they aren't in the same UY, you cannot combine the points together together for a room, ie. if you have 10 UY at CCV and 10 UY at Poly, you can't use them to book
a 20 point room at VGF, you would have to transfer them first.

It would be very unfair to thenownets of that resort. Imagine someone having 400 SSR, then buying a 25 pt contract at BLT and being able to use their SSR 400 to take up availability at 11 months. It would make home resort designations completely useless.

I have 150 pts at BCV and 160 at BLT. This is what I do. One year, I get a 1 bedroom at BLT for a week. That uses about 2 years worth of points. The next year, I get a 1 bedroom at BCV. That uses about 2 years worth of points. Although, this year we are doing a split stay for the first time.

If you purchase 2 small contracts at the same resort with same use year ( so you could pass them down easier to your kids one day ) how does it work booking your home resort if you want to use points from both contracts? Do you have to make 2 separate reservations, half stay with one set of points and other half with other points? Can you combine points and just make one reservation?

If you purchase 2 small contracts at the same resort with same use year ( so you could pass them down easier to your kids one day ) how does it work booking your home resort if you want to use points from both contracts? Do you have to make 2 separate reservations, half stay with one set of points and other half with other points? Can you combine points and just make one reservation?

If your use years are the same, you can use all of the points together as if it were one contract. All of your points will appear in the account together and can be booked at 11 months on a single reservation.

Ok, do the same rules apply if two members want to combine points? We have several friends from where we live that are current or about to become members. There has already been talk of booking a Grand Villa and basically "splitting" points. Not sure what everyone's use years are, but not sure how this would/could work. What if it is 3 members?

Ok, do the same rules apply if two members want to combine points? We have several friends from where we live that are current or about to become members. There has already been talk of booking a Grand Villa and basically "splitting" points. Not sure what everyone's use years are, but not sure how this would/could work. What if it is 3 members?
The rules are the same for all owners. “Combining points” between different owners, regardless of whether they own at the same resort or have the same UY, can be done by transferring points from one owner to the other. Owners are limited to one transfer - either in or out - per UY. Points retain their original home resort and UY. If they are a from a different home resort, they can only be used together inside of the 7-month booking window.

Three members trying to combine their points gets more complicated.

Ok another scenario, what if you have 315 points at AK use year october, then you buy direct through Disney AK 100 points. Can you combine those points. Same hotel, same use eyar.

Ok another scenario, what if you have 315 points at AK use year october, then you buy direct through Disney AK 100 points. Can you combine those points. Same hotel, same use eyar.
Yes, in most cases. If the 315 AKV points are post 1/19 resale points, they cannot be combined with the 100 direct points to use for reservations at RIV or any future DVC resorts.

Same resort and same UY can be used to book home resort together, providing they are in the same membership..titled the same way.

However, owning direct points will not change the restrictions on resale points. If one owns resale points grandfathered in, then they can be booked for all resorts. If they are resale points purchased now, they won’t be eligible for booking at the new resorts ever, no matter what is owned direct.

Deff didnt think it would change restrictions, was just hoping you could use them on the same reservation.

The same use year on 2 different home resorts is still very helpful at the 7 month mark. much easier to combine the points for your reservation once the home resort advantage is irrelevant (with less than 7 months to go until your trip)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter