Combining 2 different use years at 7 month mark

Minniemoo15

DIS Veteran
We currently own 250 PVB Feb UY points. We are looking to buy a second contract - most for the occasional sleep around/larger accommodations/etc. We aren’t too concerned about home resort for this one so will probably get SSR.

We found the perfect contract - only problem is it is a March use year. Most years this won’t be a problem as we will use the contracts separately. But help me wrap my head around how to combine them if we ever want to.

We always travel the first week of March. So at the 7 mo mark (ie: August 1 for a booking starting March 1), can we combine our Feb and March UY points to book a 1 bedroom ?

I am trying to figure out how big of a PITA having two use years is (If those use years are close together) and if we should hold out for another Feb UY contract.

Thanks in advance !

Two UYs is like being two different owners.

In order to make one reservation, you have to transfer points from one UY to another UY. Those points can not already be banked or borrowed.

Or, you have to book some nights on one and some on the other and then ask MS to link with a note so you don’t have to move rooms.

Now that transfer points can be used online, it’s easier to book with them, but it still requires a call to actually transfer them.

Other than last year, I have always just booked my trip as a split stay with some on each membership. It has meant borrowing on one while I had points on the other but just easier in the end.

I don’t think you would be able to walk easily for a March reservation if you are using the March points because then it would be crossing UY

Two UYs is like being two different owners.

In order to make one reservation, you have to transfer points from one UY to another UY. Those points can not already be banked or borrowed.

Or, you have to book some nights on one and some on the other and then ask MS to link with a note so you don’t have to move rooms.

Now that transfer points can be used online, it’s easier to book with them, but it still requires a call to actually transfer them.

Other than last year, I have always just booked my trip as a split stay with some on each membership. It has meant borrowing on one while I had points on the other but just easier in the end.

Thanks. So if we had two different home resorts but same use year , can they be combined more easily ?

At seven months, you can choose which contracts (same UY) in the order you want and it will be seamless. We have two UY's and handle it by making reservations for each and asking MS to link. Not a perfect world, but it has worked.

If you are buying SSR you shouldn't have to wait too long for the contract you want in the UY you prefer. Good luck!

Thanks. So if we had two different home resorts but same use year , can they be combined more easily ?
Yes, they can be combined seemlessly at 7 months. Only get separate use years if you plan to always use the contracts for separate reservations.

I have a Feb UY and have never had a problem finding a contract on the resale market, it’s a pretty common one.

Thanks everyone ... what makes this perfect is that it’s one seller selling two identical fully loaded contracts . My parents want one and we want one so it would be seamless. But you all have me thinking that maybe we should wait for Feb UY even it means buying from two different sellers.

Thanks everyone ... what makes this perfect is that it’s one seller selling two identical fully loaded contracts . My parents want one and we want one so it would be seamless. But you all have me thinking that maybe we should wait for Feb UY even it means buying from two different sellers.
To be able to have multiple contracts/resorts work on the same reservations at 7 months, there are two requirements, 1) same UY, 2) same owners - identical!. You can't have extra, different or fewer owners on either contract. So if you owned one and your parents owned the other, even if they were the same UY, you would need to transfer points between the contracts in order to use them as a single group of points. Maybe you already knew that and I misunderstood the comment, I just wanted to make it clear.

If you were after a unicorn, I’d say get it and put up with the different UY. But SSR contracts are a dime a dozen. I’d just wait it out. I’ve seen that contract you are looking at, and I think it is an interesting one. But, 100 pointers on the resale market are not that rare. A 25 pointer is more rare, but also so small that you could buy it direct and end up paying more, but not break the bank.

I think it depends on how often you think you will want to combine the points at the 7 month mark. Thirty three years is a long time to regret two UY if it becomes an irritation to you!

To be able to have multiple contracts/resorts work on the same reservations at 7 months, there are two requirements, 1) same UY, 2) same owners - identical!. You can't have extra, different or fewer owners on either contract. So if you owned one and your parents owned the other, even if they were the same UY, you would need to transfer points between the contracts in order to use them as a single group of points. Maybe you already knew that and I misunderstood the comment, I just wanted to make it clear.
Thanks ! we own a PVB and my parents do as well... when we purchased it was at the same time, 2 identical contracts from the same owner and it was such an easy process. We each book our own reservations (or we do a transfer to combine). We are looking to each add on similar amounts and if we could find one member with 2 identical contracts again it would be ideal. But I get what others are saying, the hassle of two different use years may not be worth the ease of a double contract process.

If you were after a unicorn, I’d say get it and put up with the different UY. But SSR contracts are a dime a dozen. I’d just wait it out. I’ve seen that contract you are looking at, and I think it is an interesting one. But, 100 pointers on the resale market are not that rare. A 25 pointer is more rare, but also so small that you could buy it direct and end up paying more, but not break the bank.

I think it depends on how often you think you will want to combine the points at the 7 month mark. Thirty three years is a long time to regret two UY if it becomes an irritation to you!
Thank you for this input - I think we will wait it out. Like you said, it’s a long time to be annoyed if the 2 different UYs drives us crazy. We will keep looking !

It’s just a SSR contract. There are many more. Inventory is low right now, or you’d be able to buy whatever you want right now.

It would be worth waiting to me to match it up, and it would be worth paying a couple bucks more.

My answer would be different for your one-off beach club you planned to use there, but then point of the SSR points is to get them to play nicely with what you have.

Thanks ! we own a PVB and my parents do as well... when we purchased it was at the same time, 2 identical contracts from the same owner and it was such an easy process. We each book our own reservations (or we do a transfer to combine). We are looking to each add on similar amounts and if we could find one member with 2 identical contracts again it would be ideal. But I get what others are saying, the hassle of two different use years may not be worth the ease of a double contract process.

Did you save on closing or something because it was the same owner? I guess I am not understanding how having the same seller was a benefit?

Did you save on closing or something because it was the same owner? I guess I am not understanding how having the same seller was a benefit?
It was nice not have to spend time searching for two 250 fully loaded PVB Feb contracts - our seller had 2 of them to sell. We were able to negotiate a lower price as well since the seller was moving both her contracts at once . One seller meant everything flowed on the same timeline for both my parents and ourselves l ... offer negotiations, sent to ROFR, closing documents signed, etc.

It was nice not have to spend time searching for two 250 fully loaded PVB Feb contracts - our seller had 2 of them to sell. We were able to negotiate a lower price as well since the seller was moving both her contracts at once . One seller meant everything flowed on the same timeline for both my parents and ourselves l ... offer negotiations, sent to ROFR, closing documents signed, etc.

Thanks! That does make sense!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter