Columbus, OH to WDW - Best Route?

RedsRock

Earning My Ears
Which is the better route?

1. To Cambridge to hit I-77 down to Columbia, SC to I-26 to I-95 to I-4.

2. Take US-23 to I-64 and pick up I-77 in Charleston, WV.

3. I-71 to Cincy, then I-75 to Florida.

Am planning on leaving around 5PM on a Thursday, drive till about 11PM, and leave the next morning around 7AM.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Welcome to the DIS. :)

I checked the route from Columbus to Kissimmee on mapquest.com ... the route it shows is option #3 -- I-71 to Cincinnati and pick up I-75. 1017.35 miles in approx. 17 hours 13 minutes.

Conflicting reports..

Other sites show the #1 route. Not sure which is better, was hoping some people had some experience.

Fearful of going around Atlanta on I-75, but also around Jacksonville on I-95.

Thoughts anyone?

I would look for cheap airfares over the internet.;) You would be there in 2 hours.

Are you driving down with others? If so, my suggestion would be to take the HOV lane through downtown Atlanta. It usually flows pretty well compared to the rest of the traffic. The Perimeter (I-285) can be VERY congested.

If you go down I-95, take the bypass (I think it's I-295) around Jacksonville -- much easier.

Hi RedsRock,

I'll give you our experience even tho I'm a Tribe fan ;) ;)

Last January we drove down by way of your #2 route and returned by way of #3. #2 was less stressful and we drove thru fewer big cities. #2 would probably be our first choice. I think the only challenge was Jacksonville and that was really not bad compared to driving I-4 into Orlando!

That said, when we came home thru Atlanta, the traffic was backed up for miles, but we were able to get into the HOV lane and we buzzed straight thru--I couldn't believe it! And Tennessee and Kentucky are really beautiful.

Jacksonville was a little busy, but not bad--maybe someone here can give you some tips for getting thru Jacksonville.

I also agree with ncligs, we fly whenever possible.

Originally posted by nelliefox2
What is a hov lane?

HOV stands for High Occupancy Vehicle, which means at least 3 or more people in the car. They have those lanes open during rush hour traffic around large cities. You can get a fine and ticket if they catch you traveling in the HOV lane with 1-2 people in your car.:rolleyes:

We live 2 hours south of you and we always take #64 to #77 and so forth. Others we know do option #3 - took them much longer and they hated the drive through Atlanta. I drove most of the way and I had never driven anywhere big - not even through Columbus by myself. I did fine through Jacksonville - it was a weekend though still lots of traffic. If worried, take I-295 around.
Good luck on your trip!!:Pinkbounc

Thanks everyone for the posts!! :D

Looks like we'll be going via I-77/26/95

What are some good stopping points. We will be leaving about 4 PM on a Thursday. Thinking of stopping at wytheville, va or trying to make it to Charlotte.

Leave about 8AM friday and be in Orlando by 4-6PM.

Any good, clean, cheap hotel ideas in either Wytheville or Charlotte?

Hi RedsRock! This is our first long road trip and I am getting so excited. I mentioned to a co-worker today that we are driving and she looked at me like I had lost my mind. I told her that we are driving our brand spanking new (just off the delivery truck) SUV that rides like a dream - not going by covered wagon :D .

We don't need accommodations along the way because we'll stay at our home resort (DVC) but on the way home, we're stopping in Charlotte, NC for the night. I wanted to stick with a name brand hotel chain because I am very picky where I lay my head even for one night. There is a wonderful site someone recommended on this board and I am happy they posted it because its perfect for a driving trip. The site is www.interstate4u.com and you can customize it with some neat features like your favorite restaurant, gas station and hotel/motel chains.

Didn't mean to be so long winded but we are just about at the 90 day mark and as you can tell, I am very excited! Have a wonderful and safe trip!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter