• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Colonoscopy

I know this is a zombie thread, but I couldn't find any other related threads to post in and I just wanted to pass along (so to speak) my recent colonoscopy experience, for the possible benefit of others who might be undergoing one soon.
Thanks for posting this. I need to have one (not any issues. Just time) and I keep putting it off. And now with COVID I’m trying to stay out of the Drs office.
Mine went fine, and honestly I didn't think the prep was all that bad. I was given the Miralax/Dulcolax/ Gatorade prep intstructions, used Lemon Lime Gatorade for the prep solution, and drinking all of it down wasn't hard at all. It was a challenge to not eat anything all day before the procedure, but it was only for one day so I just powered through it.

The procedure itself was no big deal, they gave me Propofol and as soon as they turned it on, I was out like a light! Didn't feel a thing. Next thing I knew I was back in my room and the nurse was telling me I woke up quickly and asking if I wanted water or a cookie. They only found one small polyp that the doctor said he wasn't worried about, and I was able to get dressed and walk out to where my sister was waiting to take me home.

I'm glad I had it done, the prep wasn't fun but it's good to know for sure how things are looking. And when I do my next one in five years I'll have a better idea of what's going to happen and not stress out about it.

- The liquid took about 20 minutes to "go through me". People do not lie about its effect. You should claim a bathroom for yourself /tell your family you're "off duty" in all ways for the evening. Likely you'll be, um, busy for an hour, and then you'll be done -- but err on the side of caution.
- Sorry if this is too much information, but I strongly suggest you splurge on the softest toilet paper -- and buy Vaseline or some other lubricant and use it on your toilet paper from the very first wipe. It'll save you some discomfort.

Once I started drinking my Gatorade/ Miralax mixture I decided to just sit on the throne and wait for the results. And I'm glad I did because once it really kicked in, it was with NO warning at all!

And I agree on the Vaseline, I found it really helped!!

Thanks for posting this. I need to have one (not any issues. Just time) and I keep putting it off. And now with COVID I’m trying to stay out of the Drs office.
You're welcome! :) My Doctor's office took a lot of precautions for the virus - masks had to be worn, lots of plexiglass barriers, etc. I felt pretty safe.

Once I started drinking my Gatorade/ Miralax mixture I decided to just sit on the throne and wait for the results. And I'm glad I did because once it really kicked in, it was with NO warning at all!

And I agree on the Vaseline, I found it really helped!!
My experience was different, so the obvious theme is, Be prepared for anything. People vary widely.

But notice that no one has said it was a bad, miserable thing.

Last edited:
this is one zombie thread I'd love to see get refreshed and bumped regularly - finding it late last year helped my resolve to finally book that overdue colonoscopy and stop procrastinating.

Great! One thing I've learned during this whole process is that it's something that really needs to be done, even though it's not the most fun thing in the world. Colon cancer is slow moving so if it's caught early it's easier to treat. It's best to not wait until you start having symptoms because those don't show up until the disease is advanced. I really should have done mine six years ago when I turned 50.

this is one zombie thread I'd love to see get refreshed and bumped regularly - finding it late last year helped my resolve to finally book that overdue colonoscopy and stop procrastinating.
Excellent! Don't procrastinate on this test... really.

The prep is definitely the worst part of the test, but once you're through that and have the test you will feel so much better the test is done. I've lost several family members to Colon cancer and my Mom is a Colon cancer survivor. If you're due for the test -- schedule it and do it!

That's good, too! :)

It's a good alternative for someone like me. I have no family history of colon cancer on either side and nothing to indicate any signs or symptoms. My doctor is another one that doesn't like to prescribe the pills and he's very positive about Cologuard. I've also had a couple of abdominal CT scans over the last few years for other issues and I'm sure if there was something there the CT would have picked it up.

Glad to see this thread again. I had been wondering when my last one was, from my previous post here I see it was December 2013 so I have 3 years yet before my next one. Oh, and someone said “isn’t everyone put under?” No, my daughter wasn’t. She vomits coming out of anesthesia so asked to be awake and her request was granted.

My first time was not the breeze everyone said it was. They did not give me enough what ever to knock me out! Halfway through the doctor told the nurse to give me more and she was arguing with him. Next one they started using propofol (milk of amnesia) from then on it was a breeze. Hate the prep but it's good for a couple of lbs of weight loss even if it lasts only a few days. Of course my brother in law likes to go it with nothing. The nurse told me that it is actually easier on men than women (what isn't).

My first time was not the breeze everyone said it was. They did not give me enough what ever to knock me out! Halfway through the doctor told the nurse to give me more and she was arguing with him. Next one they started using propofol (milk of amnesia) from then on it was a breeze. Hate the prep but it's good for a couple of lbs of weight loss even if it lasts only a few days. Of course my brother in law likes to go it with nothing. The nurse told me that it is actually easier on men than women (what isn't).
I thought that is what they are supposed to use, it’s great because it’s not like general anesthesia where you are groggy and nauseous.

I thought that is what they are supposed to use, it’s great because it’s not like general anesthesia where you are groggy and nauseous.
Yes it is what they use NOW but back like 10 years they used something else. Although at my last one the nurse told me that the insurance companies were thinking of not covering it. I have one due in OCT and the person booking assured me that is what they would be using(also that she loved it for her surgery! LOL)

Glad to see this thread again. I had been wondering when my last one was, from my previous post here I see it was December 2013 so I have 3 years yet before my next one. Oh, and someone said “isn’t everyone put under?” No, my daughter wasn’t. She vomits coming out of anesthesia so asked to be awake and her request was granted.
Just a suggestion - may want to ask the anethesologist about this when your daughter's due for her next one. As mentioned above, most places now use a different type of sedative for colonoscopies nowadays than they do in regular surgeries (propofol) and many people tolerate it much better. But they also have other options. The girl next to me when I had mine done earlier this year said the same thing about getting nauseous and the anesthesiologist told her not to worry: he had other options that may offer better results - and he was right. She had zero problems or aftereffects.

My doctor said I could be awake if I wanted, I guess in that case they just give you something to make you relaxed and mellow but it doesn't put you out.

I had no issues with the propofol, it put me right out. Like, when she plugged it into my IV the nurse told me it might burn a little and that was normal and then BAM! I'm opening my eyes back in my little exam room. No nausea, just a little grogginess and I was able to walk out of the building with no problems.

However they did tell me not to drink alcohol, drive, or sign any legal papers until the next day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter