• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

College Textbook -Sticker Shock And Solutions!!

Very good ideas, everyone. Just a few pointers though, don't let anyone know or let the professor see that you are photocopying someone elses book. It is illegal, and many faculty take it very seriously. Most text are written by faculty somewhere, and sometimes they will choose to look out for one another. Generally books written by faculty don't generate real income for them unless they self publish and force the bookstore to sell them. The most I know a basic author of text to make was less than 5000.00 total for 4 years work. 90% though make no-where near that, and don't make any extra for individual copies sold. They write them and use them because it is required to make tenure in all university systems I am aware of. By all means communicate with your professor first about what editions they will allow, that is the biggest way to save money.
Another point, generally used books are 25% off the new price. The bookstore will pay 50% of the NEW price regardless of how you bought it IF they need it to re-sell. You get 66% back on used books if your prof doesn't change or a new edition come out. Always buy used if you have to have the current editions, and sell the first day of buyback if you can to avoid the bookstore filling it's need for the next term. If they don't want it, or offer to buy it for the wholesaler at too low a price, then sell online if the book is not being used on your campus, or if it is, post it for sale on school boards.

D

branv said:
Realizing that one of those pricey virtually unused books was written by the professor! That sure is one way to boost your book sales :rolleyes:

I hear that. I went to a school for a year and all incoming freshman were required to buy a brand new career management book. Yep, it was written by the wife of the university president. :rolleyes: And you could NOT sell the book back, you had to buy a brand new one.

MyZoeJane said:
I email the professor directly and ask nicely for the booklist and ISBN's. And I do it months before classes start. Not only can I be sure that I'm getting the correct books, but I can ask if other editions are acceptable, AND by the time class starts, my name already sticks out to the professor because I've already had contact with him or her in advance.

If you make your emails upbeat and personal, I think this is a great way to get your books AND introduce yourself to your professors. :thumbsup2

Well, I am trying your advice. I had both sons email their professors today telling them they are looking forward to their classes and could they tell them the edition of the texts they need and/or the ISBN of the text. I am hoping they respond!

You can go to the college bookstore and write down all the info for the books from the tag on the shelf. You can then look at the cover appearance and know what the book looks like. Good luck with your search.

Uh-oh! I just purchase a used (online) Microeconomics text book with DVD for my son. It just arrived and the DVD is enclosed in a carboard envelope that says, "Paul Solman Videos on DVD and access to DiscoverEcon--available only with a NEW book" On the front it shows an example of the person using this DVD signs in with their name and instructor's name, etc. I am concerned that since this has been used already it is coded in some way that my son won't have access to the information he needs (he will be blocked). Does anyone have any experience with this? I would think that if the seller knew the DVD would be useless to another user they would not have marketed as a texbook plus DVD... Obviously I paid a lot more for this book because it was listed as "DVD included".

I don't have time to read all of the responses, but DH found that most of the time the "required" books were written by the professor of the class! Even if the books were never used during the semester, they were still "required"!..............P

My mother just went back to school to be a medical assistant...for 7 classes of books and equipment (stethoscope, blood pressure cuff, 2 sets of scrubs, etc.) it came to almost $1,000. Luckily, as a displaced worker returning to school (her company closed last year), the state paid for her education, but still...whoa.

I too am going through this, returning to grad school 8 years after getting my bachelors. I kinda go both ways on this. First, 6 months before I decide to go back, DW and I have a garage sale, figuring to get get rid of some old books. Sold a bunch of them that had been collecting dust or sitting in boxes. Fast forward six months and my book list had some of the books I had just sold. Probably not the same editions, but frustrating anyway.

Fortunately I did find one box of books that had two required texts (same editions too) At least I dont have to buy a couple this semester.

Belle5 said:
Uh-oh! I just purchase a used (online) Microeconomics text book with DVD for my son. It just arrived and the DVD is enclosed in a carboard envelope that says, "Paul Solman Videos on DVD and access to DiscoverEcon--available only with a NEW book" On the front it shows an example of the person using this DVD signs in with their name and instructor's name, etc. I am concerned that since this has been used already it is coded in some way that my son won't have access to the information he needs (he will be blocked). Does anyone have any experience with this? I would think that if the seller knew the DVD would be useless to another user they would not have marketed as a texbook plus DVD... Obviously I paid a lot more for this book because it was listed as "DVD included".

I had that exact same book. We never used the DVD's. They are just visual learning tools -- all of the same info is in the book. I bought a used book and the DVD came with it.

i'm the OP and we received the first of the books yesterday. Perfect condition, exactly as the ones on the bookstore shelf. So far saved 50.00. I figure there will be at least one glitch but am very willing to take that chance to save 300.00 on books. Even anxiety ridden daughter was okay with them. I'll let you know how it all comes out!!

My son is an incoming Freshman and we take him to college NEXT SATURDAY!.

Anyway, I ordered his Calculus book on Ebay. The school is selling it new for $148 (used $111); I bought it new on Ebay for $69 (include shipping). I received an email that the seller would mail it priority mail on Sat. and I would have it before Friday.

I also ordered a Chemical Principles book from Amazon. New at the schook is cost $152. I ordered a new book from Amazon for $72.

If this works out, I will save more than 50% on the cost of two books. Paying $141 (for new) instead of $300 (new at the school). :cheer2:

However, his Italian 101 instructor has a "new,customized book" that you can only buy at the school for $114. :sad2:

I emailed his instructors and only one got back to me. He told me to go ahead and buy it, and asked me for the link.

OP again ! Received 2 more texts today. Both exactly what she needed and saved about 100.00 + 80.00 = 180.00 so far. Thrilled!!!! Ordered on 8/5 and received on 8/12 Amazing!!!

I just wanted to say again, always try to talk with the professor before buying the book, or looking over the syllabus to see if the books are on there before buying them. If a prof is teaching a basic course, the school wants a book list showing materials covering all the topics the prof is required to cover in the course. The teacher may be just planning to lecture on a particular subject, but if it is one of the required ones, he still has to put a book on the syllabus covering the topic. If a student misses half the classes due to illness, etc, this gives them the means to read and pass the class. If you plan to be there for lectures you may not need some of the "required" books on the list.

D

Any half.com experts out there? I ordered a Calculus text for my son (hardback 2005) and after the order went through the seller contacted me asking if I still wanted it since it's the soft cover international version. I don't want to debate international versions--I just knew I wanted the hardback US version. I told him to cancel the transaction--I didn't want it. When I did not hear back from him I sent another email asking for confirmation that the order has indeed been cancelled. How can I know if it has been cancelled? The used book was $100 and I have already purchased another through Amazon since we are in a time crunch with classes starting. Half.com has sent me at least 20 order confirmations (auto generated) and no cancelled notification. How should I proceed? Thanks for any advice ahead of time!

Belle5

Belle5 said:

Yes, you got duped. My DH cant sell his Micro text (he just finished this summer) because of this CD code thing. If you are certain that the prof only needs the text you will be ok.

Some schools have a School ID /code to access the online homework features. Sometimes the instructor has an extra acess code.

My college insisted we have all new editions for all my classes except one! The worse part most of these books are paper back! I am taking four classes and it came to over 300 for paper books. My health book is printed exclusively for my college and contains workbooks and a journal, which means you have to buy it at the college bookstore! I pay for all my own books, and I know I got ripped however; I don't see that there is anything I can do about it.

I get the ISBN's from my teachers and buy them from Alternate Sources... Usually half.com or BN.com or Amazon.com for a fraction of the cost... Oh and then resell on E-bay to make up almost ALL of the money I originally spent.

Granted to resell at such high price (in relationship to buy back price) I don't place a single mark in them... Stick notes, if I want to make notes on the pages.

Doesn't matter any more though, can wash my hands clean of over paying for college classes all around... I just finished up my FINAL CLASS AT Eastern Michigan! I am now an alumni!!! Bachelors of Computer Aided Design!

Cindy B said:
Yes, you got duped. My DH cant sell his Micro text (he just finished this summer) because of this CD code thing. If you are certain that the prof only needs the text you will be ok.

Some schools have a School ID /code to access the online homework features. Sometimes the instructor has an extra acess code.

Did you actually try to use the disk? If your son's college bookstore sells this text with the cd used, then you should be able to use the disk more than once. I bought a used nutrition textbook that came with software and was able to use the disk :confused3 . I just bought a lab text I need on ebay and it doesn't come with the software that the school store includes with it (I've not actually seen anyone sell it even new with any software besides my school store). I'm hoping I can just borrow someone's disk if I actually end up needing it.

Kellydelly said:
Did you actually try to use the disk? If your son's college bookstore sells this text with the cd used, then you should be able to use the disk more than once. I bought a used nutrition textbook that came with software and was able to use the disk :confused3 . I just bought a lab text I need on ebay and it doesn't come with the software that the school store includes with it (I've not actually seen anyone sell it even new with any software besides my school store). I'm hoping I can just borrow someone's disk if I actually end up needing it.

Yes the disk had an access code when you entered the CD (like a Microsoft prdouct code).

The instructor emailed the access code to all students, and it was a one time licensing fee/access code specific with all students names embedded in the access code...

So now, the info can not be given unless you have the code.

Unfortunately, the publishers are trying all sorts of things to dry up the used book market and discs and codes are a part of the effort. You may be able to get a code through the instructor, or you may not, but try.

Drew

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter