• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

College send off with 6 feet of separation

momz

DIS Veteran
I have Covid. šŸ˜•. My son is moving for his freshman year of college on Saturday. I guess I wonā€™t be participating in that milestone. There are no words to say how I feel about this.

The best thing I can do is to see him off from a distance. Iā€™ve been seeing lots of friends post pictures with their kids as they say goodbye. All the hugs are so sweet.

What can I give my boy to send him off feeling love from his mom? How can I capture a picture of our goodbye for our memories?

I intend to visit him sometime very soon, once I am recovered from this malarkey. But, there can be only one goodbye.

Ugh! Iā€™m sorry. :headache: That stinks!

Letā€™s keep it in perspective, though - at least he still has a Mom :hug: and there are things like FaceTime so you can still ā€œparticipateā€ in the excitement of the day. Is there someone else who can actually go with him in your place that day? Maybe plan something when youā€™re better? (See him real soon, as Mickey would say!)

Strange on the timing, but DD just told me serendipitously about something she just saw on TikToc that she mentioned was really sweet. A mom sent a bunch of little gifts with her college freshman that could be opened ā€œone per dayā€. I guess she had gift cards, pieces of candy, notes, pictures of pets, things like that. Each was wrapped just in tissue paper, taped closed and labeled, and placed in a box. Something like would be really nice to do if you could gather some things by then!

Screenshot

459D1CEB-CA2F-4E53-B971-E8DCE814DDF4.jpeg

Just make sure he knows you are feeling ok, if in fact you are. And that you will come to see him as soon as you are out of ā€œCovid jailā€. That way he wonā€™t worry.

Strange on the timing, but DD just told me serendipitously about something she just saw on TikToc that she mentioned was really sweet. A mom sent a bunch of little gifts with her college freshman that could be opened ā€œone per dayā€. I guess she had gift cards, pieces of candy, notes, pictures of pets, things like that. Each was wrapped just in tissue paper, taped closed and labeled, and placed in a box. Something like would be really nice to do if you could gather some things by then!

Screenshot

View attachment 694973
I love this idea, and I am sure my son would get a kick out of it....I might have to see if I can whip something up quick before we leave him there.

I intend to visit him sometime very soon, once I am recovered from this malarkey. But, there can be only one goodbye.
That's gruesome! Of course there will be other goodbyes, and I'm thinking you're just feeling under the weather with COVID. Try to feel grateful that he's mature enough to go off to college, that you've done a good job preparing him for this moment, and that there will (hopefully) be many more chances to get that photo or whatever it is that you need to mark the moment. Or just put on a really good mask, go outside, and pose with him while someone takes the photo?

I'm so sorry that you are missing moving your son into his freshman dorm room. There is something so settling about being able to picture where your kid will be spending their time. So I would ask for a facetime room tour once he gets settled/unloaded.

Your son knows that you love him, that you will miss him and that you are excited for him.

I was the horrible child who was so secure and well-adjusted that I practically kicked my mom & stepdad out, "Ok, mom, love you. I know you got a long drive home. See you later." with a quick hug, ready to go off with my friends. Only to find out later that my mom cried the entire 4 hour drive home. To her it was goodbye, to me it was a new adventure.

Could you get a nice photo together outside?

No idea what the current rule of thumb is on masks and outside but I would think you could manage something nice outside.

If it was me and my kids I'd keep testing myself for a negative up until the moment he leaves, there would still be masks and outside but less worry.

I'm so sorry that you are missing moving your son into his freshman dorm room. There is something so settling about being able to picture where your kid will be spending their time. So I would ask for a facetime room tour once he gets settled/unloaded.

Your son knows that you love him, that you will miss him and that you are excited for him.

I was the horrible child who was so secure and well-adjusted that I practically kicked my mom & stepdad out, "Ok, mom, love you. I know you got a long drive home. See you later." with a quick hug, ready to go off with my friends. Only to find out later that my mom cried the entire 4 hour drive home. To her it was goodbye, to me it was a new adventure.
Both of my kids did this - but I didn't cry afterwards. I just felt really grateful that they were able to be independent, able young adults. I work in special education, and know that I am lucky that my kids are able to live on their own (although one lives with us now as she works 5 minutes from home just like I do) and that they would be able to take care of themselves when I am gone. We've also lost some friends' children to cancer and other health issues in the past decade, so I'm always just grateful my kids are still here and I'm here to see them (cancer diagnosis for me as well).

Your post made me cry. My son moves off to University on September 2nd and Iā€™m just doing my best to stay positive right now. But feeling crappy about it doesnā€™t make us ungrateful for our healthy young adult children, it makes us sad to be ending this phase of our lives and itā€™s is perfectly ok to feel that way.

Personally I say throw on an N95, have him mask and hug the kid outdoors anyway. Hold your breath and wash hands right after maybe ?

:grouphug:Momz, I'm so sorry. I do love the idea of a one a day gift with a note. Perhaps, one of your notes, can include a plan for a future visit to him. Take care and feel better. Prayers and congratulations to your son!

Your post made me cry. My son moves off to University on September 2nd and Iā€™m just doing my best to stay positive right now. But feeling crappy about it doesnā€™t make us ungrateful for our healthy young adult children, it makes us sad to be ending this phase of our lives and itā€™s is perfectly ok to feel that way.

Personally I say throw on an N95, have him mask and hug the kid outdoors anyway. Hold your breath and wash hands right after maybe ?
I donā€™t think the issue is simply saying goodbye. I think (and could be wrong) that the OP wanted to go with her son to drop him off and get him settled at college.

I have Covid.
šŸ˜•
. My son is moving for his freshman year of college on Saturday. I guess I wonā€™t be participating in that milestone. There are no words to say how I feel about this.

The best thing I can do is to see him off from a distance. Iā€™ve been seeing lots of friends post pictures with their kids as they say goodbye. All the hugs are so sweet.

What can I give my boy to send him off feeling love from his mom? How can I capture a picture of our goodbye for our memories?

I was the same. I couldn't wait to get started on my adventure, on my own, and I learned later that my parents took turns crying and driving on the way home. My guess is your son will be fine, it will make his first return home all that more memorable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter