Cold Lunch Ideas

Part-Time Paradise

Is it camping season yet?
Looking for recipe ideas.

This summer when we're traveling in Grand Teton and Yellowstone we won't be able to get back to the rig for lunch and I'm not interested in eating out all the time (both $ and calorie budget reasons). We don't feel like cold sammies and chips everyday.

What do you pack in the cooler when you're out and about?

I am leaving out the sandwiches we like to pack, here are the non sandwich meals we have packed for a day on the road or local road trip/day trip.

Chicken & Pasta Salad - https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/236198/chicken-club-pasta-salad/
BLT mac salad - https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/blt-macaroni-salad/
Gyro salad (prepare ahead and add dressing later.) https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/gyro-salad-with-tzatziki-dressing/
A twist on your typical chicken Caesar salad - https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chicken-caesar-pitas/
This last one was I hit in the past, have not made it with Melissa and the kids yet.
Italian Tortellini salad - https://www.spendwithpennies.com/italian-tortellini-salad/

there aren't many options to dine in that area, we always packed lunches, the kids enjoyed watching the snack bags inflate when we drive up Mt. Washburn, over 10,000 feet, great hiking, but take care to get acclimated to the elevation a couple days before attempting, we always start with Bunsen Peak to warm up

Pulled chicken, cheese cubes and grapes is my favorite

there aren't many options to dine in that area, we always packed lunches, the kids enjoyed watching the snack bags inflate when we drive up Mt. Washburn, over 10,000 feet, great hiking, but take care to get acclimated to the elevation a couple days before attempting, we always start with Bunsen Peak to warm up

Pulled chicken, cheese cubes and grapes is my favorite
I think we'll have some good time to acclimate as we're spending 2 days in higher elevations in Wyoming before we actually arrive, but maybe we'll have some fun huffing and puffing too!

As you note, there aren't many places in the parks and it'll always be crowded and no doubt overpriced.

On day hikes I like to take things compact, portable, and non-refrigerated (but if you have a cooler you have some flexibility). My mix-and-match usually includes a selection from the following:

1. a meat, wedge/squeeze cheese, or nutella/peanut butter spread usually on crackers: sealed tuna packets (lemon pepper is good), ham or chicken salad cans, chunk chicken or tuna. Oh and my trail crackers are usually a little more substantial than saltines.
2. some sort of dense energy/protein/meal bar of your favorite Lara (my favorite) flavor
3. a fun food that you can maybe hold for later as an afternoon snack like corn nuts, meat stick, jerky, cookie pack, cheezit bags, fruit chews/gummies, etc.
4. besides water, I also have a gatorade mix to replace electrolytes. Or I start the hike/outing with one nalgene of gatorade and one or more nalgene of water. My point is to have some of both and not just all one or all the other.

Depends on where you find yourself at lunch time as to what you can do. If you think you'll be near a picnic ground near the vehicle, you can splurge a little on the menu above that some of the other folks have suggested. If you're at an overlook after a three hour hike up hill from the parking lot, you go with the compact, portable menu above. (That's usually where I find myself).

And of course, whatever you carry in (wrappers, cans, packets) gets carried out.

Bama Ed

PS - and after you get back home, Domino's delivers.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
On day hikes I like to take things compact, portable, and non-refrigerated (but if you have a cooler you have some flexibility). My mix-and-match usually includes a selection from the following:

1. a meat, wedge/squeeze cheese, or nutella/peanut butter spread usually on crackers: sealed tuna packets (lemon pepper is good), ham or chicken salad cans, chunk chicken or tuna. Oh and my trail crackers are usually a little more substantial than saltines.
2. some sort of dense energy/protein/meal bar of your favorite Lara (my favorite) flavor
3. a fun food that you can maybe hold for later as an afternoon snack like corn nuts, meat stick, jerky, cookie pack, cheezit bags, fruit chews/gummies, etc.
4. besides water, I also have a gatorade mix to replace electrolytes. Or I start the hike/outing with one nalgene of gatorade and one or more nalgene of water. My point is to have some of both and not just all one or all the other.

Depends on where you find yourself at lunch time as to what you can do. If you think you'll be near a picnic ground near the vehicle, you can splurge a little on the menu above that some of the other folks have suggested. If you're at an overlook after a three hour hike up hill from the parking lot, you go with the compact, portable menu above. (That's usually where I find myself).

And of course, whatever you carry in (wrappers, cans, packets) gets carried out.

Bama Ed

PS - and after you get back home, Domino's delivers.

giphy.gif
I think we're certainly going to hike a bunch, but I plan to be off the trails before lunch or start hiking after lunch, but great ideas to keep the options open. Your first idea made me think of a scout camp specialty: cold SPAM, spray cheese, and Ritz. DS would be in heaven.

I'm tempted to bring the camp stove out a few times, but that increases bear excitement.

I don't know that Domino's is going to make it inside the park, but we'll check out their delivery radius :D

I think we're certainly going to hike a bunch, but I plan to be off the trails before lunch or start hiking after lunch, but great ideas to keep the options open. Your first idea made me think of a scout camp specialty: cold SPAM, spray cheese, and Ritz. DS would be in heaven.

I'm tempted to bring the camp stove out a few times, but that increases bear excitement.

I don't know that Domino's is going to make it inside the park, but we'll check out their delivery radius :D

Home is where your tractor lives, Jack (that's what I was referring to). Our camping tradition is once the Aliner is backed into the driveway, unhooked, and rolled gently into the garage, Bama Ed puts in a call to Domino's.

If Domino's delivered into the National Parks, the bears would be on the Batphone every night for the Brooklyn Style MeatZZa drop-off at dusk.

Ed

PS - yeah the memories wash over me when you mentioned the SPAM lunches on campouts. I could put some away back in the day. Then I grew up and read the can's side panel nutritional information. 😱

Last edited:
Home is where your tractor lives, Jack (that's what I was referring to). Our camping tradition is once the Aliner is backed into the driveway, unhooked, and rolled gently into the garage, Bama Ed puts in a call to Domino's.

If Domino's delivered into the National Parks, the bears would be on the Batphone every night for the Brooklyn Style MeatZZa drop-off at dusk.

Ed

PS - yeah the memories wash over me when you mentioned the SPAM lunches on campouts. I could put some away back in the day. Then I grew up and read the can's side panel nutritional information. 😱
Ah yes. I forgot the Ed tradition of pizza night on last day of the trip. Unfortunately domino's will probably deliver to the Colter Bay RV Park before they'll expand out to my house. I don't live THAT far in the sticks, but we're in the sticks. Have to hook the dogs up to the sled to get the Noid to cook for me.

DS is into cooked Spam big time right now. I'll usually go for fried rice with it. I used to slay a Vienna sausage can when I was a kid like nobody's business. Like you, I grew up and calories got a vote

Ah yes. I forgot the Ed tradition of pizza night on last day of the trip. Unfortunately domino's will probably deliver to the Colter Bay RV Park before they'll expand out to my house. I don't live THAT far in the sticks, but we're in the sticks. Have to hook the dogs up to the sled to get the Noid to cook for me.

I have also been know to pull off the highway 30 min before home to put in a Domino's pick-up order if I was desperate/late/hungry. With trailer in tow I pull in and pick up my "usual" order (I'm a creature of habit).

"There's an app for that". So that might work in your case.

I'll get my bum out of your thread now. As I know I should.

Ed

PS - my "usual" order is using the on-line coupon "2 mediums for $5.99 each" is a pepperoni with black sliced olives and a sausage with mushrooms. I have olive oil, parmesan cheese, and red pepper flakes at home (plus plenty of napkins). OH so good!

Last edited:
My kid hates sandwiches, but will eat wraps. So we do chicken, lettuce, onion, and a little ranch dressing. Or sour cream, blackolives. Compact and can jam a few in a smaller zip lock bag. And easy to eat on the go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter