Coins/Cash for Upcoming Solo Trip

tabbytrekker

Mouseketeer
Hi all. This might not be the most accurate board to ask this question, but I am planning an upcoming solo trip!

To anyone that has been to to the parks recently, have you had any troubles using cash? Or have you seen signs talk about the coin shortage?

I know cards are pretty much accepted anywhere on property. And mobile ordering is definitely a useful tool. However I’ve always been taught to at least have some cash with me while travel. And cash at like the snack carts, in the past, has always been easiest. But, a lot of fast food restaurants where I’m from are still asking for cards only or exact change. So I was curious if anyone saw stuff like that around Disney World lately.

Thanks for the help!

With Disney being the size they are and with the amount of cash they deal with, I can't imagine they are too concerned with coin shortages. Not to mention with Disney trying to place such a heavy emphasis on guests having a positive experience, I do not think you will have any issue paying with cash wherever you would like to.

Was there in September and cash was accepted everywhere. If you are trying to avoid using a debit/credit card, another option would be to use your cash to buy a Disney gift card(s). You can then use the gift card and not worry about carrying cash around. Hope you had/have a great solo trip!

Cash is definitely accepted, but I feel like I did see signs about the coin shortage in August...not a ton but maybe in Springs? Either way I'm sure you'll be fine.

Was there in September and cash was accepted everywhere. If you are trying to avoid using a debit/credit card, another option would be to use your cash to buy a Disney gift card(s). You can then use the gift card and not worry about carrying cash around. Hope you had/have a great solo trip!
Similarly, I was there in Sept and didn't recall seeing the signs like I do back home. That said, I also wasn't usually paying with cash and I may have missed them. I do feel like, as PP mentioned, DS might be more of an issue.

Hi all. This might not be the most accurate board to ask this question, but I am planning an upcoming solo trip!

To anyone that has been to to the parks recently, have you had any troubles using cash? Or have you seen signs talk about the coin shortage?

I know cards are pretty much accepted anywhere on property. And mobile ordering is definitely a useful tool. However I’ve always been taught to at least have some cash with me while travel. And cash at like the snack carts, in the past, has always been easiest. But, a lot of fast food restaurants where I’m from are still asking for cards only or exact change. So I was curious if anyone saw stuff like that around Disney World lately.

Thanks for the help!
Some cash is probably a good plan, but we do not live in a cash society anymore. There's a couple of reasons for that, one is you have to carry quite a bit of cash around to pay for anything at Disney. That opens you up to easily lose it or end up with a lot of coins in your pockets at the end of the day. It is also harder to really keep track of your spending unless you also fill your pockets with receipts and if you have a return situation it is harder to be sure that a refund will happen if necessary. Cash is a bigger temptation to thieves and simply harder to constantly handle. Cash wasn't even that good an option back when I first went in 1983. Travelers checks were the suggested currency and they were a pain in the butt too. A credit card is so much easier to keep track of and quicker to use now with the touch and pay processes.

Seconding this suggestion - I love using the gift cards at the parks as it eliminates carrying a credit card or cash. If you also purchase via a Target debit card, you can get 5% off.

Seconding this suggestion - I love using the gift cards at the parks as it eliminates carrying a credit card or cash. If you also purchase via a Target debit card, you can get 5% off.
To be fair - if the GC is lost or stolen, it's treated as cash. Just make sure it's in a pretty safe place (I did and I still felt nervous because I had a lot on the card).

To be fair - if the GC is lost or stolen, it's treated as cash. Just make sure it's in a pretty safe place (I did and I still felt nervous because I had a lot on the card).

If you register your gift cards on the Disney gift card web site, you can transfer the balance from a lost card to a different one. There’s still a risk that someone uses it before you notice it’s gone, but it’s a nice safe guard!

If you register your gift cards on the Disney gift card web site, you can transfer the balance from a lost card to a different one. There’s still a risk that someone uses it before you notice it’s gone, but it’s a nice safe guard!

Yes! This is how I safeguard my cards and not having to carry a huge amount at one time. I keep smaller balances on other cards and transfer when I'm running low.

Very cool - hadn't thought of that! Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter