CNN reporting 12 miners alive!

lila said:
It's not just going to be you - many of the national papers, including USA Today, went to press with the initial good news.

I was downstairs watching this this morning and picked up the paper and the cover says its a miracle...12 miners found alive--its everywhere
 
On NPR this morning they said that the miscommunication was triggered when the report came from the team inside the mine said they had located "12 individuals". People on the top-side apparently assumed that this meant that they were alive and reported it as such. Perhaps the initial intent down in the mine was to be able to gather the families privately tell them the bad news instead of hearing it second-hand. CNN on-line reports that the rescue team was using the mine communications system that had a number of speakers on the surface that any number of people were able to listen in on.

Truely sad.
 
Once again the mainstream media goes crazy reporting an uncorroborated story and gets the facts wrong.

During Katrina they were reporting 10,000 dead as if it were a fact (actual deaths were around 1,300), someone shooting at a rescue helicopter (turned out to be false), and mass rapes and murders in the Superdome (didn't happen).

Now watch the media blame the rescuers and the mining company or even the families and place no blame upon themselves.
 
was watching CNN when the report came in--the media was told by the family members that were waiting by the church..everyone heard the church bells and then the families started screaming before the reporters knew what was happening..the reporter was told by someones family member..
 

How devestating...when I went to bed last night, I was hearing how twelve were alive and seeing all the families rejoicing. Now this. How can reporters run with something like this when it hasn't been confirmed? I'm disgusted and sad.
 
CNN commented that the mine never made a statement that the miners were found alive. It appears that the media and Governor ran with the buzz on the grapevine. The mine said the three hours that lapsed between the initial incorrect rumors and the announcement of the deaths was due to: 1) The rescue team was concentrating on saving the life of the remaining miner, 2) The company wanted to make sure it had its facts straight before saying anything as to not add to the confusion.
 
Fox News has this on its report on this tragedy (emphasis mine)
But late Tuesday night, families began streaming out of the church, yelling, "They're alive!" The church's bells began ringing and families embraced, as politicians proclaimed word of the apparent rescue a miracle.

As an ambulance drove from the mine carrying what families believed was the first survivor, they applauded, not yet knowing there were no others.

Though Gov. Joe Manchin announced there were 12 survivors, he later indicated he was uncertain about the news. As word of survivors buzzed through the church, he tried to find out what was going on.

"All of a sudden we heard the families in a euphoric state and all the shouting and screaming and joyfulness, and I asked my detachments, I said, 'Do you know what's happening?' Because we were wired in and we didn't know," Manchin said.

International Coal Group Chief Executive Officer Ben Hatfield blamed the wrong information on a "miscommunication." The news spread after people overheard cell phone calls, he said. In reality, rescuers had only confirmed finding 12 miners and were checking their vital signs. At least two family members in the church said they received cell phone calls from a mine foreman.

"That information spread like wildfire, because it had come from the command center," he said.

Three hours later, Hatfield told the families that "there had been a lack of communication, that what we were told was wrong and that only one survived," said John Groves, whose brother Jerry Groves was one of the trapped miners.

"There was no apology. There was no nothing. It was immediately out the door," said Nick Helms, son of miner Terry Helms.

Chaos broke out in the church and a fight started. About a dozen state troopers and a SWAT team were positioned along the road near the church because police were concerned about violence. Witnesses said one man had to be wrestled to the ground when he lunged for mining officials.

Company officials waited to correct the information until they knew more about the rescue, Hatfield said.

"Let's put this in perspective. Who do I tell not to celebrate? I didn't know if there were 12 or one (who were alive)," Hatfield said.
I watched the press conference earlier this morning with Gov. Manchin and both he and his press secretary were doing some major backpedaling on exactly how the news about survivors was released. The reporters were really badgering him on this, but he kept saying that he was in another room and didn't say anything about survivors initially. There is a lot of contradiction about how this announcement was made.
 
This from Editor & Publisher a media trade journal (emphasis mine):
Media Reports Miracle Mine Rescue--Then Carries the Tragic Truth

By Greg Mitchell

Published: January 04, 2006 7:50 AM ET

NEW YORK In one of the most disturbing and disgraceful media performances of this type in recent years, television and newspapers carried the tragically wrong news late Tuesday and early Wednesday that 12 of 13 trapped coal miners in West Virginia had been found alive and safe. Hours later they had to reverse course, often blaming the mixup on "miscommunication."

For hours, starting just before midnight, newspaper reporters and anchors such as Rita Crosby interviewed euphoric loved ones and helped spread the news about the miracle rescue. Newspaper Web sites announced the happy news and many put it into print for Wednesday right at late deadlines.

The Washington Post story by Ann Scott Tyson, which appears on the front page, opened: "A dozen miners trapped 12,000 feet into a mountainside since early Monday were found alive Tuesday night just hours after rescuers found the body of a 13th man, who had died in an explosion in an adjacent coal mine that was sealed off in early December."

Later in the story, she even added this explanation: "The miners had apparently done what they had been taught to do: barricaded themselves in a pocket with breathable air and awaited rescue."

The New York Times story on the Web by James Dao was also headlined with no doubt raised: "12 Miners Found Alive 41 Hours After Explosion." The story, which also ran in print on the front page, began: "Forty-one hours after an explosion trapped 13 men in a West Virginia coal mine here, family members and a state official said 12 of the miners had been found alive Tuesday night.

"Joe Thornton, deputy secretary for the West Virginia Department of Military Affairs and Public Safety, said the rescued miners were being examined at the mine shortly before midnight and would soon be taken to nearby hospitals. Mr. Thornton said he did not know details of their medical condition." It then reported family members calling it a miracle.

In its print edition, the Times story carried this qualified headline: "12 Miners Are Found Alive, Family Members Say."

An Associated Press dispatch first carried the news at 11:59 pm: "Twelve miners caught in an explosion in a coal mine were found alive Tuesday night, more than 41 hours after the blast, family members said. Bells at a church where relatives had been gathering rang out as family members ran out screaming in jubilation." But many newspapers, and all of cable TV news, reported the rescue as fact, not merely based on family claims.

A later AP account by Allen Breed grew more, not less, certain: "Twelve miners caught in an explosion in a coal mine were found alive Tuesday night, sending family members streaming from the church where they had gathered during the nearly two-day ordeal. Joyous shouts rose of 'Praise the Lord!'"

Anderson Cooper, the CNN host, ripped the coal company at 3 a.m. for not correcting the wrong reports for so long, but did not explain why CNN went with the good news without strong confirmation.

The Chicago Tribune, which had reported the rescue, later carried a new story on its site opening with, "Jubilation turned to anger early Wednesday when relatives of 12 coal miners believed alive in a West Virginia coal mine blast were told that 11 of their loved ones were dead. One survivor was in critical condition at an area hospital."

It took three hours for the coal company to correct the reports. It is unclear why the media carried the news without proper sourcing. Some reports claim the early reports spread via cell phones and when loved ones started celebrating most in the media simply joined in.

In reality, rescuers had only confirmed finding 12 miners and were checking their vital signs. But what leaked out to anxious family members was that 12 were found alive.

A company spokesman, sounding like another Michael Brown, explained, ''Let's put this in perspective. Who do I tell not to celebrate? I didn't know if there were 12 or 1 (who were alive).''

"About the confusion, I can't tell you of anything more heart-wrenching than I've ever gone through in my life. Nothing," Gov. Joe Manchin, who had helped spread the good news, said.

The sole survivor of the Sago, West Virginia, disaster, identified by mining officials as 27-year-old Randal McCloy, was in hospital in a critical condition, a doctor said. When he arrived, he was unconscious but moaning, the hospital said.

Families gathered at the Sago Baptist Church began running out of the church and crying just before midnight, yelling "They're alive!"

As an ambulance drove away from the mine carrying what families believed was the first survivor, they applauded, not yet knowing there were no others.

The governor later indicated he was uncertain about the news at first. When word of survivors began circulating through the church, he hadn't heard it, he said.

"All of a sudden we heard the families in a euphoric state, and all the shouting and screaming and joyfulness, and I asked my detachments, I said, 'Do you know what's happening?' Because we were wired in and we didn't know," Manchin said.


Link
 
I was watching CNN and Cooper said several times that this was an unconfirmed report of the 12 being alive. Of course, arguing this is pointless as 12 men are dead and their families are grieving.
 
Just another sad fact of the 24 hours news. Everyone wants to be the first to report a story and that often leads to false reports. (not saying false on purpose, but just not checking facts and making sure they are correct) I feel so bad for the families that thought their loved ones were alive...only to have hopes dashed a few hours later. Not sure who is at fault for the wrong information...does it really matter at this point?
 
When I was up watching CNN last night the Breaking News was that 12 were found alive. It was in big letters at the bottom of the screen. I can understand the families reporting mis information but the media should have confirmed the information before printing or saying it. It was irresponsible. That being said it was nice to see the media so eager to print/say something happy and hopeful for a change! Too bad it wasn't true.

I do agree with this statement:

"To put blame on anybody -- it's the wrong time, the wrong place," Manchin said. "Everybody has worked so hard. The rescue teams have worked around the clock. They've come from all over the country."
 
Isn't the media only to blame for what we are hearing? And really does it matter? The only people who matter are the families of the victims and they were given misinformation, but not from the media. And do we even know who said they were alive? It could have been anyone who said they were alive. It could have been a family member who just assumed they were alive, when they were told they were "found".
 
cstraub said:
I do agree with this statement:

"To put blame on anybody -- it's the wrong time, the wrong place," Manchin said. "Everybody has worked so hard. The rescue teams have worked around the clock. They've come from all over the country."
It's understandable for the WV governor to say that, since he was seen exiting the church giving a big thumbs up and saying "believe in miracles" shortly after reportedly announcing that 12 miners were found alive. And after Ben Hatfield, the company prez, allegedly told some family members that miners (note plural) were found alive.

If I were in Manchin's shoes I'd probably be ready to throw out "it's not the time nor place to blame anybody" line, too. :rolleyes: I'd probably play better in Peoria if Manchin just said "I'm sorry, I was wrong; I got caught up in the euphoria of the moment and I should have known better." Is that too hard to say?
 
Beth76 said:
Isn't the media only to blame for what we are hearing? And really does it matter? The only people who matter are the families of the victims and they were given misinformation, but not from the media. And do we even know who said they were alive? It could have been anyone who said they were alive. It could have been a family member who just assumed they were alive, when they were told they were "found".

Nope. In most cases the media is giving people what they asked for, even demanded.
 
Isn't the media only to blame for what we are hearing?
You are correct. It's clear that the families excited the media, and not the other way around. However, the media still violated one of the cardinal rules of news reporting: proper sourcing. They took a rampant rumor and ran with it... with little or no qualification. The rumor was given additional credience when the Gov. started to parrot it too. No one bothered to confirm the rumor with the officials in charge of the rescue. I think it's pretty safe to say that someone took the news that the miners had been located and assumed that this meant that they were alive.... and the fuse was lit.
 
Nancy said:
Not sure who is at fault for the wrong information...does it really matter at this point?

No, at this point, it does not matter.

Somehow, someway the wrong information got out. Either someone heard it wrong, someone reported it without knowing the facts or someone made a phone call & reported something without knowing the facts.

Bottom line is that 12 men are dead & their families need support & to be able to grieve. :guilty:
 
Beth76 said:
Isn't the media only to blame for what we are hearing? And really does it matter?
Two good questions. As for the first, I believe the media bears part of the blame for not properly checking out the story in the attempt to "scoop" everyone else. But the company president and the WV governor didn't help matters any by lending their voices and thumbs up to the rumor.

Does it matter? Certainly it does, because this is yet another instance where the media has grossly distorted the facts. The desire to report "the story" first is overwhelming basic journalistic common sense. This is followed, not by a mea culpa from the media, but finger-pointing at someone else -- anyone else-- to be the scapegoat.

I honestly don't care anymore if the news channels get it fair, first, balanced, whatever.

I'd just settle for them getting it correct for a change.
 
I am so sorry for the loss of the twelve miners. My gradfather was a miner so these tragedies always hit home for me.

I also have to add that this has been a crisis communications NIGHTMARE. I place some responsibility on the mining company. Leading up to this fiasco, it was being very tight-lipped with information. When the media does not get the information from the main, KNOWLEDGABLE source, it will go look for it elsewhere. It is important to update the media HOURLY or as any information becomes available (after it has been confirmed, of course). The mining company did not do this. In fact they let this misinformation about the "survivors" float around for THREE HOURS. That is not acceptable. It should have INSTANTLY made a statement that this WAS NOT CONFIRMED.Holy crap there were church bells going off, the officials should have known SOMETHING was being said. There were rescuers who were concentrating on the rescuing and helping of the one surviving miner. There were countless other mining officials who could have been feeding the information better to the mining company's spokerperson. I am trained in crisis communication, and this whole thing was totally unacceptable right from the beginning. This is great example of what not do in crisis communication.
 
After staying up til 1:45 to watch Anderson Cooper and what I thought was good news, I went to sleep, only to have my dh wake me up this morning and say that the news was wrong. I couldn't believe they had the wrong information and gave it to the families. Anderson Cooper even was saying at about 1am how strong the men were and that they must be pretty tough guys because there were 12 alive and they were going to be brought to the Church to see their families. They then moved the news crews away from the Church so the families could go inside and wait for their loved ones arrivals. This was so cruel to make the families wait 3 hours when the bad news was known after 20 minutes. They let the families celebrate and wait in that Church for the miners to be brought to them, this is such a sad day for them. Am glad one survived though, hope he's ok.
 
Tigger_Magic said:
Two good questions. As for the first, I believe the media bears part of the blame for not properly checking out the story in the attempt to "scoop" everyone else. But the company president and the WV governor didn't help matters any by lending their voices and thumbs up to the rumor.

But what better sources were there than the families, the governor and the company president?

I was up watching CNN and they were very clear where their information was coming from and that they were waiting for official confirmation in the form of a news conference. I fell asleep shortly after the ambulance left with the survivor and woke up to the news that their was only one survivor about an hour later. I don't think the media is to blame in this case (at least not CNN, I can't judge the others because I wasn't watching/reading them)

M.

(Edited to add a big ditto to Miss Jasmine. Even to the the part about her grandfather - mine was a miner too! My Dad worked in the pit during the summers when he was in university. I grew up in a mining town. )
 

New Posts


Disney Vacation Planning. Free. Done for You.
Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners are here to provide personalized, expert advice, answer every question, and uncover the best discounts. Let Dreams Unlimited Travel take care of all the details, so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy a stress-free vacation.
Start Your Disney Vacation
Disney EarMarked Producer






DIS Facebook DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest DIS Tiktok DIS Twitter

Add as a preferred source on Google

Back
Top Bottom