Clive Barker and Disney Ink a Deal

lrodk

<font color=009900>No one is immune to the TF's in
From Screamscape's August 10th Update:

Screamscape has confirmed in media reports that Disney has signed an estimated $8 million dollar deal with horror/fantasy author Clive Barker for a series of works he will complete over the next 6 years called the Abarat Quartet. These new series of novels have been pitched as a non-horror fantasy series that can be viewed as a weird merger of Harry Potter and Wizard of Oz through the eyes of 16 year old Candy Quackenbush. Interviews with Clive claim that the property will be expanded into all realms of Entertainment: Movies, TV Shows, Games, and yes... even Theme Park Rides! A quote taken from Barker himself in an interview claims “At Disneyworld, there's going to be a place called Clive Barker's Abarat, and they've actually got an island all mapped out”. The island he is referring to, I believe, is one of the fictional islands in the story. The alternate dimensional world he is creating consists of 24 islands, each with its own culture, theme, and local population. Sounds like Islands of Adventure doesn’t it? Clive also references inspiration for these worlds to Disney’s Fantasia, the C.S. Lewis Narnia novels as well as Cirque du Soleil. Whatever happens, we know we’ll be hearing more from Clive and the Abarat in the near future as he works to finishing the first installment by this fall.

"got an island all mapped out" ?

Could this possibly be what they'll do with the former Discovery Island that sits unused in the middle of Bay Lake? I recall there was a "Myst" rumor about it a while back, among others.

Or perhaps a tie in to BK? I'm thinking that would be a stretch.

Somehow I can't see this as a 5th park though....

I think AV & Landbaron (at least) will be surprised with my take on this...

My first thought is unsettling (we'll have to wait and see how it develops in this pea-brain of mine). Clive Barker is ok. The idea on its own is ok. What's not ok is that it stinks of "settling". Disney didn't get the rights to Harry Potter, Eisner was sore about that and now here we have a very Harry Potterish type plan...Except disney is, once again, counting their eggs before they've hatched. These Barker books aren't "hits" yet, are they a sure thing? Yet Disney is already projecting this success into our future. Does this sound familiar? Lets think back to PH...No I'm not enthralled by this news...But I await my other DIS friends opinions...
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

Captain, sir. Perhaps it would help your thought process if rented some of Mr. Barker’s films. Perhaps the ‘Hellraiser’ series would be a good start (which, by the way, is released through Disney’s Miramax group). He is an interesting choice to create a series of children’s books. I also have a feeling that Mr. Barker’s plans for his project are much grandeur than Mr. Eisner’s plans for his works. Mr. Barker does not have a reputation for modesty or moderation (nor does he much of a reputation for talent, but that’s another discussion).

Considering the size of the plans that are in the works to protest ‘Harry Potter’ across the country, I wonder what Mr. Robertson will say on his new show on the Disney Family channel. No doubt Mr. Eisner will be pleased when his newly purchased audience has a chance to buy the ‘Disney Promotes Satanism’ video for a love gift of $49.95.

AV, I'm not sure what you said, especially in relation to my post (are you pro this deal or con?). But I will affirm my uneasiness with (1) this deal (2) Mr. Barker (particularily his style) and (3) Disney projecting success (especially when they have failed with their last two major projections - DCA & PH)...I would rather not see them placing all of their eggs in one basket so often...

There are plenty of plans for theme parks and attractions out there and just because there is and island "all mapped out" doesnt mean that the map wont sit on the shelf gathering dust for 20 years. Overall this sounds like a good idea as long as they judge the addition of other media to the books success. Does anyone have a link to this story? (The actual story not the screamscape report)

Another Voice, please tell about these plans to boycott Harry Potter. I wonder if this means I will have to go see this now even though I didn't plan to? :rolleyes:

LOL Planogirl! I too, will go see things I hadn't planned on when people attempt to infringe on my right to decide...I remember seeing some very bad x-rated films in my collegiate days...In support of free speech, of course!;)

I understand your valid point OWTS, but the fact that they've inked a deal for yet to be produced work is what bugs me a little...

I haven’t checked on this story yet (something doesn’t seem right here), so it’s kind of hard to come up with a strong legitimate opinion. But if the deal as is as Screamscape reports, it’s a serious lapse of judgment on Disney’s part. Mr. Barker’s “talent” is exceptionally limited in any real terms as can be seen in any of his films or his books (strong stomachs are required). I cannot imagine this man creating children’s books – or creating anything of interest to those with an I.Q. above that of a yam. He might very well imagine that he’s some sort of Tim Burton, and for that he should also seek therapy.

Eight million dollars is very high for a book deal, but about right for a movie deal. And almost all big deals are signed before the script or the manuscript is written. But I just don’t see Disney paying that kind of money for material these days. By the gods, they’re using rides as film scripts to avoid paying some writer the guild minimum for the story rights – paying eight mill to Pin Head just seems a bit much. It also seems excessive if Disney was just looking for a “name” to hang on all the plans for Myst Island that got dumped over money. I need to follow-up on this one.

As for ‘Harry Potter’ – yes I too must now see this film as well. The boycott plans are coming for the usual suspects – those people who believe their particular mythology is “real” and all others should therefore be excluded. It should be a lot of media hype and a lot of fundraising. Like I said, it’s really going to be fun watching Pat Robertson on Disney Family.

And Captain, sir – ahhh, the adventures in the pre-VCR world. Those were the days…..

I've personally never been a Clive Barker fan, but I do recall reading a book or two of his (that I thought were rather poorly executed) that had some very creative ideas and were not at all along the lines of the Hellraiser/ horror stuff. The guy has a decent imagination and paired with someone(or multiple someones) who could make a decent story from his ideas something good could be produced.

I hadn't even really paid attention to the 8million figure...and really don't have enough business knowledge to have any idea how this reflects upon what might happen. I'll admit to being a bit intimidated by the complex analysis that sometimes goes on here! But I also enjoy it immensely and have been finding myself on the rumors board more and more often...

It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, happens from this...

I must admit my immediate reaction is that it's a less than ideal mix. Hopefully I can match the yam in IQ and I have found some of Barkers books I enjoyed ( although the more graphic parts of Hellraiser wouldn't be my prefered reading). IMHO he does have a vivid imagination and while I think there are going to be "artistic" disagreements, it isn't impossible that something worthwhile could come out of this venture.

I wouldn't advise others to pre-judge this venture simply because they disagree with his previous work or don't like some of the angles he takes on main stream religious mantra. Judge the work on it's own merit. One things for certain it won't be boring , IMHO( and it will give us something to discuss in the future LOL) .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter