• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Citrico's, a most excellent dinner!

ducklite

<font color=teal>Take the Poly, it's fabulous!<br>
We had waited too long and were unable to get a reservation at Emeril's, and so were planning on eating at Santiago's, our local Mexican place. Good food, terrible service, really cheap, so who cares LOL!

At 5:30 DH decided he wanted something a bit nicer, and suggested Citrico's. He didn't need to twist my arm! So he called and was able to get an ADR for that night. I got home from work during a huge storm, and we left to drive to the GF. Waited in a major cluster for valet parking, we're not sure quite what the deal was, but they didn't have enough people working--not even close. Fortunately I had misunderstood DH when he told me the time for our ADR, thinking it was 7:15 rather than 7:50, so had changed for dinner in record time and we had plenty of extra time--we waited close to 15 minutes to valet the car!

We went in figuring we'd check in to Citrico's and either they'd be able to accomodate us early or we'd head to Mizners for a cocktail. We were told it would be a few minutes wait, so we sat in the foyer area. (See my other post about the family waiting there at the same time. :rolleyes: )

We were seated after about five minutes. Our server asked if we'd like bottled water with a couple of choices, or tap. As an FYI, the "tap" water at the GF restaurants is not filtered and "skunky."

We perused the menu which has been undergoing some changes since Chef Anthony took over when Chef Grey left to take over Narcooses from Chef TJ who is now at Boma. There are other changes in the works at Citrico's and I'll elaborate on those in a bit.

A basket of rather bland Foccacia appeared on the table about the same time as our drinks, accompanied by a herb infused olive oil. This is one of the changes in the works, very soon they will begin serving warm breads, they are preapring to install a bread oven.

DH decided on a favorite, Arancini, for his appetizer. The sausage is just spicey enough, and the four cheeses and crispy outer risotto shell make this a very appealing dish. The truffle oil finishes it off perfectly! (He doesn't eat the greens that accompany it.)

I had what is probably my very favorite dish in all of WDW, the Sauteed Shrimp appetizer. The combination of lemon, white wine, and feta cheese with the shrimp creates a perfect combination of texture and flavor. In all honesty, someday I'll go in and order five orders of that for my meal!

I had a glass of chardonay which was unremarkable (might have been a Benzinger, I don't really recall), and DH had a Newcastle. In fact the biggest disappointment for me at Citrico's in general is the "by-the-glass" wine list. Comparing it to the lists at the California Grill and Jiko, the list of available by-the-glass wines at Citrico's pales considerably. I'd be more than happy to pay an extra dollar or two a glass to have much better quality wines available.

We skipped the Intermezzo course to save room for dessert, and jumped to our entree's. DH chose the Oak Fired Pork Tenderloin. It was served on a bed of cannellini beans lightly brasied with a tomato based glaze that had some Applewood bacon mixed in. He liked the dish, although he eyed my entree longingly. The tomato glaze wasn't really what he was expecting, although he said it was good and the dish worked well. He thought it was a bit bland, and the "beans and sauce" underwhelmed the pork, and the bacon wasn't noticable at all in the flavor mix. He thought adding some sort of spice like paprika, rosemary, or a touch of wasabi might have rounded out the flavor.

I chose the Citrico's Filet Sicilian. The wonderfully aged oak-grilled beef was done to a perfect medium rare, and served on a bed of four cheese mashed potatos with roasted Spanish onions laying artistically on top. It had a light veal glace over the top of it--I'm not big on veal and will order it without the glace the next time, although it certainly didn't ruin the dish, and a veal person would have loved it. I had a glass of merlot with this entree, again, unremarkable--I believe it was an old world vintage.

For dessert I originally chose the Cinderellabration, but found that I couldn't have it due to my nut allergies as it containes pralines. So I decided on the tropical fruit creme brulee, and was thrilled with it. The sweet and savory flavor of mango and pineapple melded perfectly with the creamy smoothness of the creamy concoction. It was topped with berries and more mango. The fruit kept it from being overly rich. Just perfect!

DH had the Cinderellabration which he inhaled! The bittersweet chocolate made the mousse tart blend perfectly with orange sauce. It appeared that the crown was semi-sweet chocolate.

DH doesn't drink coffee and I passed as it would have kept me up all night and Friday was a work day, but I'm sure it would have been a perfect accompaniment to the desserts.

All in all an exceptional meal with exceptional service.

Anne

Thanks for the review, we've always wanted to try Citrico's and may do so in December, sans DS.

Curious what the Shrimp appetizer is served atop, greens or something else? Sounds delicious!

Glad that you were able to enjoy your meal in spite of the inconsiderate family you mentioned in the other post. :)

The meal sounds wonderful despite the trouble you had with the surrounding families. Thanks for such a great review. princess:

The sauteed shrimp is served in a bowl in almost a "broth" that is the lemon juice and white wine. It's incredibly good!

Anne

D'oh! I jsut realized I didn't fill you in on the other changes coming up. They are also adding flatbread ovens to be able to serve the flatbreads that have become very popular at other WDW restaurants. They are also looking at other changes to the menu, and offering "chef specials" now and then to allow people to sample possible dishes and give feedback on them. (We've been part of this sampling in the past and it's very interesting!)

I asked about the possibility of adding souffles to the dessert menu, and was told not at this point, but it has been discussed.

Anne

Thanks for the addt'l info, DH & I are now booked there for dinner for our Dec trip, lol!

BTW-I thought I remembered that you had some food allergies, are the chefs helpful there as well? I have some anaphylactic allergies (eggs, bananas) and I do recall some reviews of other restaurants to avoid, I hope this isn't one of them that I won't be able to do safely.

And thanks for the tip, at least I think it was from you, to avoid the AKL buffet, friends of ours have a son with a banana allergy and he had a terrible reaction to some residue left on the table during their meal!

welovedis said:
Thanks for the addt'l info, DH & I are now booked there for dinner for our Dec trip, lol!

BTW-I thought I remembered that you had some food allergies, are the chefs helpful there as well? I have some anaphylactic allergies (eggs, bananas) and I do recall some reviews of other restaurants to avoid, I hope this isn't one of them that I won't be able to do safely.

And thanks for the tip, at least I think it was from you, to avoid the AKL buffet, friends of ours have a son with a banana allergy and he had a terrible reaction to some residue left on the table during their meal!

Yes, I"m the one who suggests anyone with allergies avoid Boma.

As far as Citrico's, IMHO Chef Anthony is the absolute BEST as far as allergy management of every chef I've dealt with at WDW. Not only is he knowledgeable about every entree, but also the desserts, breads, everything. He is also graceful about it, some chefs seem to be almost put off by discussing allergies, he is very concerned.

Anne

Anne, thanks so much for your wondeful review. I had an outstanding meal at Citricos a few years ago, and your review is really tempting me to change my dining plans in August. I agree with you, the shrimp is just to die for!!

Melissa

Enjoyed reading your review ~ Thanx for sharing.

Citricos is my favorite dining exp at WDW to date - it was fabulous! I'm glad the new chef is doing good things there - I got a little nervous when I heard the chef was leaving and someone new was coming in. The changes sound great!

I can attest that the Cinderellabration dessert is downright heavenly - I'm so sorry you weren't able to sample it =(

Great review! We are going back to Citricos in September. Out of all the Signature Dining, that was the one we chose for our trip. I'm really looking forward to it.

Thanks for the wonderful review and insight on how great the Chef is with the food allergies. We find that Disney is beyond helpful with food allergies but like you mentioned a few do seem "put off" or just too busy to stop and talk with you about them.

Oh, I wanted to add that the shrimp and feta appetizer was the highlight of our meal at Citricos! It was so good. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter