Christmas tree lights when on Vacation

No timer here.
We don't leave anything on when we go on vacation.
Most of our outdoor decorations will not even be up when we leave Dec. 4.
We will get them out when we get back Dec. 14

I have everything on timers all year long - timers are the best! 🙂👍🏻

In regards to the Christmas tree - since mine is artificial I’m fine having it on when we aren‘t home. I would not feel that way with a real tree - I would never have the lights turned on unless I’m home.

Outside lights, on with a timer
Inside Christmas lights --off every time we leave the house. Not taking the chance of fire, just in case!

Timer for outside, everything off on the inside, but we also usually don't travel a lot or more than 1 night for Christmas

Timers for both inside and outside, they go on/off like normal whether we are there or not. We do have an artificial tree because I don't want to worry about fire hazard.

Exterior Christmas lights are on a timer. We always turn off interior tree lights when going to bed and never leave them on if not at home. Why would you leave interior tree lights on when going away for an extended period of time like a vacation? Live tree can dry out quickly if not watered daily.

The company we hire to install our exterior Xmas decorations also installs a timer, so they come on at night automatically. That said, if we didn't have a timer, we'd probably let them run all day while we're away

I have all sorts of timers everywhere and would leave my Christmas Tree with new lights on with a timer while on vacation or out of the house. My outdoor holiday lights are on outdoor timers duck to dawn so I'd leave them going too. I'd suspect lights and tree not going on when it is a habit to have them would be a giveaway to thieves, this is also why I have lights with timers on all over the house and for my outside lights too. We tried the bluetooth kinds with apps but they turned out to be super unreliable, I prefer the regular old school kind where I set them by hand.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter