Christmas season stay-help me decide!

adelaster

DIS Veteran
Two adults, looking to stay about four or five nights around December 17-21 (waiting for MVMCP dates). Plan on 3 day parkhoppers and attending the MVMCP event.

We stayed a few nights at POR with only one park day at MK last year. We liked the resort, but our room was pretty beat up and we had some issues with bus transit. We loved the lush landscape and the boats to Disney Springs. We were in the Acadian building, and I know my partner thought the main lobby was a bit far. Not bad, but I wouldn't want to make him walk much farther. Granted, we were there during a hurricane so it rained almost the entire time.

Relatively quiet, pretty, not crazy large are important. We are celebrating a Christmas birthday, and this will only be our second visit. Really want to experience the holiday ambience and see all the decorations. Learned a lot on our first visit and are interested to see more of the parks.

I am aware that the Port Orleans resorts don't usually get any of the discounts around that time, so I am open to other suggestions.

I plan on purchasing the Quick Service Meal Plan for convenience-we didn't last time. Already have our meals pretty planned, so good on site food not an important factor. For that reason, I'd like to book directly with Disney. Pools are not important, but the ability to do laundry is.

Price wise, we are definitely value or moderate level, but maybe with the right discount could possibly do a cheaper deluxe. (Around the holiday I doubt it though, but maybe!)

We will be completely reliant on Disney transit. We're fine with waiting for buses, but we had some super negative stuff happen at POR- shoving, people ditching, and some even lying to get on ahead of others. As newbies we were also confused a bit by all the stops and pickup times. The buses almost never arrived at the original projections and often filled before we all boarded. Maybe that's everywhere?

Love boat transit, quieter/more chill feel, nice aesthetics, more adult vibe. We liked Disney Springs a lot. We are hoping to really relax and experience the holiday this year vs. working through it as usual.

For those of you with more experience and knowledge, I appreciate your insight!

I think right now POFQ is in the lead- but I do think the mardi gras decor is a bit creepy. The new dining area looks nice though. Also been considering staying in the Casitas area of Coronado Springs, but there is renovation and not sure about the size/holiday atmosphere.

I will say I am not totally opposed to purchasing an annual pass for one of us if it ultimately saves money booking the room. However we don't live close and never vacation more than about five days at a time, so that would really need to make sense. I've been crunching a lot of numbers but cost is a challenge when the discounts may not get announced until the end of September.

Help me make this a magical Christmas?

We loved the Christmas decorations at POFQ last year. And the smell in the lobby at Christmas is amazing!!!
I totally agree with this! We only stayed one night here on our Christmas trip before moving over to BWV, but we all LOVED it. The decorations were beautiful. We can't wait to go back and stay longer. We did visit CSR on our Christmas trip and didn't feel like the decorations were as nice as POFQ. We really enjoyed our past stay at CSR, but I would definitely recommend POFQ over CSR for a Christmas trip.

If you can spring for it, the Wilderness Lodge is especially gorgeous during Christmastime. The cozy rustic theme with fireplaces suits the season so well, plus they put up a huge Christmas tree in the lobby. I'd recommend just googling the various resorts' decorations and see which jump out to you most. The Wilderness Lodge is the least expensive of the deluxes, so worth considering. Plus, it's only a boat ride away from the MK for the party.

The Grand Floridian would be my other Christmas pick, but it's way more expensive than the Wilderness Lodge. Definitely pay it a visit, though! Really impressive Christmas decorations there as well (e.g. life-size gingerbread house).

We loved the Christmas decorations at POFQ last year. And the smell in the lobby at Christmas is amazing!!!

I was going to say the same thing! Of all our Christmas stays, this one is still my favorite, and it includes the Beach Club!

OP- POFQ is decorated beautifully. THe decorations are appropriately themed for POFQ< but not gaudy at all. The lobby is a welcoming and I must say that there is a lot to be said for returning "home" and not having all of your new best friends coming with you to check out the tree.

The music is a treat as well. I love Holiday music and at home I have it on from Thanksgiving thru the end fo the season, so I am always happy in WDW. There is holiday music everywhere, but it is so nice to enter your resort and transition from PArks mode to relaxing to soft bluesy jazzy holiday music playing softly in the background.

The music is a treat as well. I love Holiday music and at home I have it on from Thanksgiving thru the end fo the season, so I am always happy in WDW. There is holiday music everywhere, but it is so nice to enter your resort and transition from PArks mode to relaxing to soft bluesy jazzy holiday music playing softly in the background.

Yes! I forgot about that Christmasy Jazz music. Loved it!!! Also I want to add that the new food court had huge gorgeous wreaths all along the wall. It was so festive!

I would book POFQ as soon as the MVMCP dates are announced. Or you could always research past party dates and book it now with your fingers crossed that there will be a party while you are there. Then I would watch prices & discounts at WL. If they have rooms available at a doable rate for your budget when the discounts are announced, you can book that instead and cancel your POFQ reservation. Either way, have fun! I don't think you could go wrong with either choice.

I love the Disney resorts and have stayed in most of them - and been in several during Christmas. We had a Christmas stay mid-December at POFQ which was nice - I don't remember it being overly Christmasy themed but my guess is all the moderates decorate. We were at ASSports last December and definitely saw decorations in the main building but nothing over the top. I don't particularly like the feel of the value resorts other than the food court. All Star Music - our room was disgustingly yucky and ASSports - was very very loud (Pop Warner football teams).

I'm going to suggest Coronado - I've really come to appreciate that resort. Since you are two adults (no kids right?) - I think it's especially a good choice (although I've been there with my kids every time and loved it). Because it's a convention resort you do get many who are just there for the convention and aren't on the busses as much. I've stayed there many, many times - during peak periods (going back in 2 weeks during spring break) and not had problems with the busses. The resort is very pretty and from what I've read the construction is well contained. They are remodeling the rooms so by next December your chances of getting a remodeled room is very good. Even the not remodeled ones were fine (was there in October - room was great). I love POFQ and I think it's a better choice for the bus (at least the busses used to go there first) but it also attracts families with little kids because of the small size. I think POR has better amenities, a bit more geared to adults - and the theming will be just as good for Christmas. I like that it's spread out and never feels crowded - something I definitely done get at the values or other moderates as much.

If you can swing it - no doubt stay in a deluxe resort (GF or CR are my favs). I think the cost will be high. Stay on the lookout in case free dining is offered. I've already booked a free dining stay for early December (it was a bounce back offer last October) - so perhaps it will be offered for the general public at some point. You'll have a great trip regardless! Enjoy!

I love the Disney resorts and have stayed in most of them - and been in several during Christmas. We had a Christmas stay mid-December at POFQ which was nice - I don't remember it being overly Christmasy themed but my guess is all the moderates decorate. We were at ASSports last December and definitely saw decorations in the main building but nothing over the top. I don't particularly like the feel of the value resorts other than the food court. All Star Music - our room was disgustingly yucky and ASSports - was very very loud (Pop Warner football teams).

I'm going to suggest Coronado - I've really come to appreciate that resort. Since you are two adults (no kids right?) - I think it's especially a good choice (although I've been there with my kids every time and loved it). Because it's a convention resort you do get many who are just there for the convention and aren't on the busses as much. I've stayed there many, many times - during peak periods (going back in 2 weeks during spring break) and not had problems with the busses. The resort is very pretty and from what I've read the construction is well contained. They are remodeling the rooms so by next December your chances of getting a remodeled room is very good. Even the not remodeled ones were fine (was there in October - room was great). I love POFQ and I think it's a better choice for the bus (at least the busses used to go there first) but it also attracts families with little kids because of the small size. I think POR has better amenities, a bit more geared to adults - and the theming will be just as good for Christmas. I like that it's spread out and never feels crowded - something I definitely done get at the values or other moderates as much.

If you can swing it - no doubt stay in a deluxe resort (GF or CR are my favs). I think the cost will be high. Stay on the lookout in case free dining is offered. I've already booked a free dining stay for early December (it was a bounce back offer last October) - so perhaps it will be offered for the general public at some point. You'll have a great trip regardless! Enjoy!

I would have suggested CSR as well, but it is undergoing renovations, and I am not sure how that will affect the ambiance of the resort.

I would have suggested CSR as well, but it is undergoing renovations, and I am not sure how that will affect the ambiance of the resort.

This! I can't find any concrete information on what will be done when or where. The Coronado would be at least $500-600 cheaper than the Port Orleans resorts, but I worry about the construction, the walking distance, and the lack of boat transit.

I would book POFQ as soon as the MVMCP dates are announced. Or you could always research past party dates and book it now with your fingers crossed that there will be a party while you are there. Then I would watch prices & discounts at WL. If they have rooms available at a doable rate for your budget when the discounts are announced, you can book that instead and cancel your POFQ reservation. Either way, have fun! I don't think you could go wrong with either choice.

Thanks for your input! After reading this thread so far I think I am going to do a POFQ room only soon and then wait and see what is announced. That way we have a fallback and can cancel if necessary.

Don't forget the stop the Christmas parties around Dec 20/21.

Don't forget the stop the Christmas parties around Dec 20/21.

I know. I wish they would give some framework now, but I contacted customer service to no avail. I have a work obligation early November through mid December. My target dates aren't flexible. I was told to check the website daily May-June. Honestly it surprised me, I thought there'd be a release date or an email blast or something. I need to get back to work quickly too. That's why we want to actually feel like we have a holiday this year, especially as my traveling companion has a Christmas birthday. It is what it is! I certainly don't anticipate Disney changing, but it is frustrating. The parties look so magical, as do all the pictures from that time of year.

POFQ, but WL or AKL if you can possibly swing it at all. They're two of the deluxes that tend to run slightly cheaper than the others and they are both gorgeous and so relaxed. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

I know. I wish they would give some framework now, but I contacted customer service to no avail. I have a work obligation early November through mid December. My target dates aren't flexible. I was told to check the website daily May-June. Honestly it surprised me, I thought there'd be a release date or an email blast or something. I need to get back to work quickly too. That's why we want to actually feel like we have a holiday this year, especially as my traveling companion has a Christmas birthday. It is what it is! I certainly don't anticipate Disney changing, but it is frustrating. The parties look so magical, as do all the pictures from that time of year.

I know that historical dates are not a given for any parties in the future, btu that is how I plan. I knwo that I like some framework so I use teh days that have been used previously, and so far have not had an issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter